Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Old friend
By Rose Sumners

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I was so sad to say goodbye to my old friend. It never caused one ounce of trouble. Only my feeling it would be good to have the new driver assistance applications available caused me to sell it. Whoever buys this SUV will find it gives the best service possible for one its age and younger. I kissed it goodbye.

Long Time Owner
By Thom M.

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in September 2008 on a custom order. The vehicle currently has 113,000 miles and has been virtually trouble free. I have had one check engine light that turned out to be a simple fix for a reasonable cost. Recently the liftgate latch failed and I was able to buy a new electronic latch assembly through Amazon for a fraction the cost of the part from the dealership and it only took 15 minutes to swap out the part. It was an every day commuter car and on the road for about 40 a day with regular trips once or twice a month or so of around 400 mile round trips. Several other trips of over 2000 miles round trip have also been enjoyed with the car. The performance and dependability have been flawless. The sound system and all electronics are top notch for a vehicle this size and I have never experienced a failure...not even a blown fuse. The entire fit and finish remain in an almost new condition with the exception of expected wear on the driver's leather seat. The 4 banger engine offers good commuter power and is good for highway cruising. Initial acceleration tends to lag a bit until the engine figures out what you want from it and then the acceleration pulls pretty good for a 4 cylinder. We moved from the flatlands of Southern Maryland to the hill country of Nortwest Georgia and the engine has never lacked in performance. I have never driven in real mountains so I am not sure how it would perform on steeper climbs. The seats are extremely comfortable, especially on longer trips. For the typical car that was sold 10 years ago it is fairly quiet but may be lacking when measured by current standards. Even at 10 years old I would not hesitate to jump in it any day and do a round robin trip around the USA.

Great Reliable Economical SUV
By Diane Goodson

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Our 2009 Ford Escape has been one of the best vehicles we have purchased. We bought the SUV used in 2012 when the vehicle was 3 years old. At the time, it had high mileage of 48K for its age. However that was not an issue for us and now six years later, the car has 136000 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance, we have only had to replace the AC condensing unit in six years of ownership. The car still runs like a top! My only complaint about this car is that I feel it should get better gas mileage. It gets about 18 MPG around town and 24 on the highway. We still love the car!

economical transportation
By P.Cole

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Perfect for new driver..

Hey! LOOK at me on the side of the road!
By trippinon

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Rent before you buy. It is really noisy inside and it just gets worse over the years. Bluetooth would not work took car in to get repaired twice. We got the car back at closing and half the dashboard had no lights. After the second time the interior lights blinked like Christmas and they said "that was all they could do. The center column lights still out. We owned a 1998 Ford and after about 2-3 years you can't see the road because the headlights are corroded. Same with the 2009 Ford.