Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 401 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Incredibly reliable!
By Ms V

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 11 years and it runs like a top. I haven’t had any issues and have just done regular maintenance. I’m at 157,000 miles and I’m sure it’ll keep rolling for many more.

I wouldn't recommend an Escape
By Nolan E.

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my grand Cherokee for something more economical and city friendly but what I got was a nightmare, I've put $4200 into this car, exhaust manifold catalytic converters alternator and other various things, door sensor is broken and annoys the hell out of me because the car thinks the door is open all the time, has a pretty bad idle vibration which apparently is a general thing with these escapes, the electronics and positioning of engine components are very poor I don't know what Ford was thinking when they designed this vehicle, I would recommend a 2005 explorer which is the bigger brother of this vehicle which I had no trouble from, this Escape only has 68k miles I'm fixing it one last time and slapping a for sale sign on it! Good Riddance!

281K miles and still going!
By John Garrett

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

12 year old vehicles are going to have very different values based on how they have been driven and maintained and, of course, luck. I feel very lucky with my 05 Escape Hybrid. While it doesn't have the horsepower it once had, and the transmission is starting to slip, and there's some rust in the left rear wheel well, I'm amazed at how well this car has held up with regular oil changes and good tire maintenance. I was reviewing my repairs for this car and was surprised to find that, besides gas, oil and tires, I have spent less than $2500 in repairs since I bought it over 10 years ago. While the 25 MPG I have averaged over that time has been less than advertised (I suspect that the HV battery is not programmed correctly, but couldn't find a shop that could figure out how to improve it) it has outlasted and outperformed my expectations when I bought it with 40K miles and about two years old.

It was a great SUV
By Ford Guy

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 203000 relatively trouble free miles, it may be time for me to say good bye to my old friend, sniff, sniff. I bought her in October of 2004 with 13k miles. Other than the PCM going right I after I took ownership, the SUV has been relatively trouble free until now. It appears I need a new transmission. Not sure yet if I'll dish out the 2 grand to repair. But if you can get one of these rides with low miles I'd say go for it! It was money well spent.

Satisfied With My Hybrid
By Barry Robinson

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Many people do not realize that Hybrid's do best in city driving. Mine switches to electric for 1/2 my drive to and from work. Saves a lot in gas each month. I monitored just city driving and averaged 35mpg. Country driving it dropped to 20mpg. But it is worth the savings. The only problems I have had so far (I bought this used) was the battery drains fast if you are not driving. Not a big deal if you don't sit around in your vehicle with engine not running with phone plugged in and running the stereo. Also, had to replace shocks and struts. Since I bought this used they were hard to replace due to rust issues. Fortunately a friend replaced them for me for no labor charges, I only paid for the parts. Keeping front tires balanced is a BIG issue with this vehicle. Don't use this vehicle like you can drive off road. Not meant for that either. Overall, with the gas savings and minor repairs, it's been a great vehicle for me.