Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

This is a great car!
By Elisabeth S

2002 Ford Escape XLS Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this car! Maintenance has been minimal and it has started first time, every time!

kittykat
By Nelson New

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My [non-permissible content removed] ford
By Nika Liner

2002 Ford Escape XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

NEVER again will I buy a ford.
This car is full of wonderful surprises , one day a spark plug flies out , another day the breaks give out and you almost die.
basically if you're looking for a car you could possibly die in unexpectedly, this is the one!!!!

Wonderful little SUV
By Michael Gazin

2002 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Know that its not supposed to be a luxury vehicle or a sports car. Its a sturdy solidly built vehicle that is very reliable. My particular model is equipped with a v6. Its not going to get the best fuel economy in the world. Drive conservatively and you can easily go a while without getting gas. It makes a good first car for a teenager. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Since I've owned it, I've put almost 10k miles on it. It's had oil changes routinely. It had one coil pack go bad so I went ahead and replaced all 6 coils and spark plugs which wasn't cheap, but I feel its saved me in the long run. It handles pretty good on the road. It's no sports car but its not going to slip out all the time either. The 4x4 is decent. It doesn't have low range which is somewhat of a bummer but it makes sense seeing as most people will be driving this on the highway. But its nice to know that if you live in a snowy place or out in the woods you have 4x4 available. It's very spacious inside. Plenty of room even for 5 people. Overall I'd say this is one badass SUV. As long as you take care of it, its going to take care of you too.

Buy this and your repair shop will know you by name!
By dylywylly

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I will start with the positives. It really is a fun car to drive, when it is not in the shop. The negatives, it is always in the shop. I bought this car two years ago and from day two it has had problems. It was first something in the 4x4 that was leaking that was a $400 fix. Then came the first oil leak (yes I have had three!) that was another $150 to repair. After that it was something in my front axle that was causing my car to pull like it was out of alignment. New front axle and $600 I though the car was good to go again. After that it was my break line that broke, it left me break-less in a ND winter. And many more! In short don't buy this car! It is yellow, like the lemon it is.

Um it's yellow! And I support my local economy by my repair costs.

This SUV is built like a car not like an SUV. Look at this and look at a Jeep Liberty, the liberty has a mor solid feel because it is built like an SUV. Very poor craftsmanship.