Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

I love my escape
By Charlie

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my escape 14 years . It's the toughest vehicle I've ever owned. Has 260,000 miles on it , and has never left me stranded! Never even checked the transmission fluid. I've only changed ty he oil 4 times . It's name is THE GREAT ESCAPE

By far best vehicle! Very reliable!
By James

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 has 221,660 miles! Western New York weather causes rust and have replaced parts due to rust. No tranny problems like everyone has had. In the spring my engine intake gaskets went and the thing ran shitty. But I needed it for 4 days and it pulled through. It stalled at atop signs and would stall below 20 mph sometimes, city driving I'd have to pop it into neutral so I could keep going!!!! It made it the 4 days started every time and I replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets and it runs perfect. It sat over the summer and after 5 months I jumped in and she started right up!! But do not leave the emergency brake on because it locked up on me so I have to do new brakes and emergency brake cable but that's my fault. It drives great and gets me around town. My air condition never ever maintained and is still ICE COLD!!!! My heat defrosts the windshield asap in winter. It's been a great first car I need it for 11 months then buying a 2013+ Escape. Doesn't let down!!

If I had known
By DonnaKane

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car...replaced the transmission 3 times...Once was under warranty. 5/28/15 had some cable assembly fixed (dealing with the transmission) and now 5/25/16 the O/D light keeps flashing on and off. garage says the code reads Torque converter. I ask did he not change the torque converter when he rebuilt the transmission and I did not get a response. I was told to bring it back when the check engine light comes on! When i can afford to buy another car it WILL NOT be a Ford Escape! The motor has been great but the transmission is worthless..Just a way for Ford to keep bringing in $$.

A great vehicle for the value
By Mark

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was handed down this car from my cousin who wasn't big on maintenance such as oil changes that went unperformed to the point of dipstick scorching and driving on dry rotted tires, the original clutch still grabs great, cold starts are a snap and idle speed is nice and low at 500rpm. No major repairs needed after 180k miles just tires and minor rust repair. The thing handles great and shifts while not as precise as a sports car can still be executed swiftly. If noise isn't your thing the 4 cylinder is much more pronounced than the more loaded v6 XLT. For great performance and dependability you can't beat these first gen Escapes.

Have always wanted an Escape, but now I have one..
By Ashley

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a Ford Escape! I wanted one because its the perfect size for me(I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 110 lb.) and it looks great. I got my 2001 Escape 7 months ago with 135k on it. I am the third owner. I have the V6 version with 4WD and I love the power it brings to vehicle! I am proud to own my Escape, but there are a few things I would like to mention. First we will start with the interior. The paneling on the front doors are both peeling of, and I have seen this in many other 2001 Escapes as well. Also, the interior is very cheap feeling on the dash. My Escape has leather interior and the leather is great, but the plastic just ins't. Another thing I am disappointed with is the backlight behind the odometer. The light blew out and its very labor intensive to replace. Moving to the exterior, the paint on the 01 models isn't very scratch resistant, but thats just a minor thing. Next lets talk about any mechanical problems I've had. My engine light came on and I had to replace a spark plug at 150k, but thats routine work for any car. When replacing the spark plugs, I also had to replace a coil pack. The mechanic said that two of the other coil packs had been replaced by the previous owner. When working on the coils packs, the mechanic also replaced something for the exhaust. Now I am currently having another problem. My oil light keeps flickering on when I'm idling or coasting. I have replaced the oil every 4k so I was unsure what it was. I've researched it and I found that many 01 Escapes' oil pressure sensor goes bad after years on the road. I'm scared to take it in though because I'm scared that it won't be the sensor. Despite these few problems I've had with this car, I am still in love with it! I think my favorite thing about this car is how it's 4WD preforms in the snow. This car is amazing in the snow. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone who is interested. I plan to upgrade to the 2013 SE Escape in the next year just for better quality and reliability reasons.