Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

most dependable suv
By Justin Enette

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Runs awesome at 260,000 miles, only very small repairs, great for long trips, great on gas, only had to replace the clutch, I have 20 inch chrome wheels, I love my escape and I'm keeping forever!!!!!!!!

I love my escape
By Charlie

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my escape 14 years . It's the toughest vehicle I've ever owned. Has 260,000 miles on it , and has never left me stranded! Never even checked the transmission fluid. I've only changed ty he oil 4 times . It's name is THE GREAT ESCAPE

By far best vehicle! Very reliable!
By James

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 has 221,660 miles! Western New York weather causes rust and have replaced parts due to rust. No tranny problems like everyone has had. In the spring my engine intake gaskets went and the thing ran shitty. But I needed it for 4 days and it pulled through. It stalled at atop signs and would stall below 20 mph sometimes, city driving I'd have to pop it into neutral so I could keep going!!!! It made it the 4 days started every time and I replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets and it runs perfect. It sat over the summer and after 5 months I jumped in and she started right up!! But do not leave the emergency brake on because it locked up on me so I have to do new brakes and emergency brake cable but that's my fault. It drives great and gets me around town. My air condition never ever maintained and is still ICE COLD!!!! My heat defrosts the windshield asap in winter. It's been a great first car I need it for 11 months then buying a 2013+ Escape. Doesn't let down!!

If I had known
By DonnaKane

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car...replaced the transmission 3 times...Once was under warranty. 5/28/15 had some cable assembly fixed (dealing with the transmission) and now 5/25/16 the O/D light keeps flashing on and off. garage says the code reads Torque converter. I ask did he not change the torque converter when he rebuilt the transmission and I did not get a response. I was told to bring it back when the check engine light comes on! When i can afford to buy another car it WILL NOT be a Ford Escape! The motor has been great but the transmission is worthless..Just a way for Ford to keep bringing in $$.

A great vehicle for the value
By Mark

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was handed down this car from my cousin who wasn't big on maintenance such as oil changes that went unperformed to the point of dipstick scorching and driving on dry rotted tires, the original clutch still grabs great, cold starts are a snap and idle speed is nice and low at 500rpm. No major repairs needed after 180k miles just tires and minor rust repair. The thing handles great and shifts while not as precise as a sports car can still be executed swiftly. If noise isn't your thing the 4 cylinder is much more pronounced than the more loaded v6 XLT. For great performance and dependability you can't beat these first gen Escapes.