Used 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews

$999

Used Grand Caravan for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

LOVE THIS VAN

Randy W, 03/28/2015
Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this in 2008 from a dealer with 110K on it, its now 2015 and has 240K NO real issues. i am a satellite contractor and work out of this van. ladders, rough terrain. lots of equipment in it. I have driven this several times cross country. OK to NY back to OK, (26mpg) moved from OK to AZ towing a trailer, moved from AZ to NY towing a trailer, moved back to AZ..yes towing trailer, and since moved back to NY this was awesome in snow thi past winter, and the 03 sport is the ONLY model w/o traction control. i have hauled HE washer dryer, fridge, gravel in it

Best car ever.

andreamoo, 12/14/2011

I did not want to buy a minivan. But in 2004 I bought a 2003 with 11K on it for $11K. This car has been fantastic. It took us through the western states camping. It moved us from one house to another. It has hauled carpool kids, craigslist finds, saddles, hay, dogs, beds and building materials. It averaged 29 mpg when we first got it on the highway, it now gets a solid 21 city/hiway. It broke down once in its 150K miles-the main computer glitched. That was not a pretty $500 but nothing since except standard maintenance. Even though it is no longer shiny and new, our current crop of carpool kids still like it best. I walk by it and pat it sometimes like a good pony.

Want another one. Most Dependable

joan couch, 11/01/2015
EX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Nice van

VanMan, 06/06/2010

I bought this preowned/certified van from a dealership(in 2007). The van had 49,000 miles on it, The van has been very dependable (so far) with little maintenance. One problem occurred last year with the steering. A constant "whining" noise which was louder during the colder months. Went to a Dodge van "online discussion" and they advised to change the steering fluid reservoir. (it clogs after a while) Did that and NO MORE whining noise. When this one has reached the end of it's life I plan on getting another one!

Compressor failed 3 yrs into purchase

curious07, 07/11/2010

This is my second Caravan. I love it. Very convenient for the kids to get in and out of. My first Caravan the head gasket blew a year into purchase. The current one, the a/c compressor went three years into purchase and the gas pedal sticks. If I could afford it, I would look into the Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey.

Good but bad

loverofcars, 05/16/2010

This car has not been very reliable. Sometimes in the cold winter the car will not get into gear. You have to put it into neutral and the engine picks up again. The quality features of our car is that we have automatic trunk and one automatic door. The design of the car both interior and exterior are pretty well designed.Last thing is that the seats don't fold down you have to pull them out of the car.

Too many things going wrong

peechka, 01/04/2011

134,000 kms. I have had the power steering whine and the first ps flush lasted about 18 months. Just had second ps flush done. Several parts in front end have been replaced -- making noise but not affecting handling. Just replaced leaking rad & original battery. Tranny now appears to be having a shift problem at low speeds forward & reverse -- when maneuvering into/out of parking spot. If this problem is big $$$ the van is going to wreckers. This was my first brand new vehicle -- "Made in Canada" matters but I doubt I will buy another Chrysler product (had numerous tranny probs with a hand me down '96 Intrepid

My Grand Caravan

Handyman, 02/11/2010

I bought my 2003 Sport Grand Caravan from an auto dealer on winter of 2006 with 139000km on it. Before I took it off from the dealer I put a new battery since it's winter. After 3 years, I have now 189500km in my odometer. In this period the only parts I've changed are the brake pads, the rotor disc, 1 headlamp bulb, wiper blades and a set of spark plugs. I could feel shudder in 1st & 2nd gear but not frequent. The signal light handle does not turn back. Though I don't consider this as a great minivan, but if you're a careful owner this car can last.

Best Caravan Yet

Happy Caravan, 05/12/2005

This is my third Dodge Caravan ('88, '93, '03) and I have been VERY please so far. I have my latest Caravan for 2.5 years and have zero mechanical problems. The ONLY issue that I have had with this vehicle is that the assemply plant missed the welds that join the roof sheet metal to the posts behind the front door (both sides). The body shop manager at the dealer said that he had NEVER seen that before, so hopefully, it was an isolated incident. Dealer fixed it for free and it has not been an issue.

Bob's review

Bob C, 05/05/2006

Overall vehicle has had a good performance history. Only had one issue/problem that the dealership was never able to identify and thus fix. Problem would occur when the vehicle was intially started, engine would shake and then correct itself after a minute or two. Since the check engine light never went on the dealer would never perform any other diagnostic analysis. This problem does not happen all the time on;y on rare occassions.

Rollover

Pat, 07/16/2006

I recently had a horrible accident in this van and miraculously survived! I swerved to avoid an animal on Interstate 70 in Utah and when I tried to correct, it didn't happen. I was traveling at 75-77 MPH on cruise and the wheels caught the concrete and I was accross the freeway and hit a large light pole, then rolled 3-5 times as I was told and somehow came out with only a broken clavicle, severely sprained back and lots of cuts and bruises. The recovery is slow, but the air bags and seat belts must have saved me...or a guardian angel? Whatever it was, I'm sure something helped me survive. I would buy another of these vans ASAP. Insurance said this was an excellant rated van for this crash.

Dodge always bad

john, 08/08/2010

Bought 2003 new grand caravan sport had to replace transmission at 60,100 miles dealership did not make it easy to honor warranty at 100 miles over warranty had to install trans outside dealership was 100% cheaper, also computer had to be replaced, brake drums replaced twice, as you can see problems keep increasing, I do not recommend Dodge at all, right now as I write the starter needs to be replaced. Will never buy us make autos ever again. Previous to this I had a used 98 Plymouth Voyager and also had to replace transmission, I thought my buying new it would be better but totally disappointing.

Regular Maintenance yet problems persist

Larry, 12/18/2008

Purchased at 22K (used) currently at 66K. On the way home after the purchase (no joke!) we noticed a transmission shudder on the 1-2 upshift. We now avoid the 1800- 1900rpm 1-2 upshift (at least 2000rpm). Also, tranny was leaking fluid in the garage so the dealership replaced the solenoid (at 52K). Overall, the tranny is very, very delicate and we do not tow/haul 7 passengers whatsover. The power steering fluid must be topped up/checked often or else it will scream. Also, links/bushings were replaced at 50K as well as tie rods replaced at 60K. The e-brake may not release causing the rear discs to drag. If this happens pump the brakes/work the release handle.

My 5th Caravan. Great Vehicle

moparmtn, 01/23/2009

I am writing this review as most people report on fairly new vehicles. So I will tell you my review of my van. I have 113000 miles and it is still running smooth, quiet, no rattles or squeaks. Change oil (full synthetic) & filter every 5000 miles. Trans gets fluid and filter every 30000 and I cyphon out 4 quarts of fluid and replace every 15000. One brake job at 75000. My only complaint is when starting in cold weather it makes a funny noise for a second or two. Hope this helps to the durability of the van. I have had 150000 + trouble free service out of all 5 of my vans. On a cross country trip I put on 11988 miles towing a pop up camper and averaged 22 mpgs. Very happy with this van.

good value

jim, 12/04/2010

139k only a few repairs, 2 sets brake pads, tow 1500 lb trailer/catamaran, excellent interior volume can get 26 mpg highway not towing, leather seats could be more comfy, turn signal release l failed, drivers power window, new exhaust, rattly front end, mechanic states nothing there needs replaced, also own 01 gc, same front end, both are sloppy when compared to Odyssey

Great, but I wonder???

Ye Olde Bald Mailman, 07/06/2004

Bought this as a lease return with 29,000 miles on it. We studies all minivans on the Edmunds site and decided that Chrysler Corp. has finally cured their transmission woes and reliability and the 2003 was a really great car. We haven't been able to get the van back to the dealer for some transmission problems as they have a 2 week backlog on transmission work. This scares me!! Transmission "shudders" between 1st and 2nd gear and hits a "false neutral" when still rolling a couple miles per hour and then accelerating. I thought Chrysler products tranny problems were cured!! First minivan and maybe the last.

Another Caravan!

Sal, 08/06/2005

This is our 3rd (1990, 1998) Chrysler minivan and by far the best. We love the quad seating, the video system, sound system, and driveability. We were initially concerned with the transmission as it "shuddered" between 1st and 2nd gear but have taken it to two seperate dealerships and we were assured that this was normal. Something about the transmission having a built in memory to the primary driver's driving habits. My wife is now the primary driver and we haven't noticied the "shudder" effect as often. This van was purchased used from a dealership that acquired it from a rental company.

Caravan

hawk, 12/04/2005

We have had a 90 grand caravan for 8 years and liked it so much that we bought a new one, no complaints about either one. It is not a small car but gets good gas mileage for its size.

Not a good experience this time around

Reliability Issues, 03/02/2008

Had this van for about four years now, had a lot of trouble in the beginning with small things like the rear htch opening at will. Since the waranty ran out we are having trouble with the transmision (shifting back and forth between gears as you accelerate) water pump has gone, front end is loose and makes strange noises - I suspect the ball joints are shot, transmission hose broke and dumped transmission fluid all over road. Engine is loosing oil like crazy. Does not seem to be leaking so I can only assume that it is burning oil. This is my third Dodge Van... first two were good but this one has had problem after problem. I suspect I will not buy another Dodge van

excellent piece of equipment

mek0123, 01/20/2003

I have totally enjoyed my Dodge Grand Caravan ES. It is truly a fun to drive and the best road vehicle I have ever driven much less owned. Rides like a car and handles like something German. For the first time ever in a minivan, I can actually hold a regular tone conversation with 3rd seat rear passengers without raising my voice. Chrysler-Infinity sound system with 9 speakers can literally blow you out of the van. Automatic load leveling suspension is the final charm for me with this minivan. Loaded up, headlights are still aimed on the road and not up into the trees. Rent one from Alamo/Dollar for a weekend and you'll be convinced too!!!

My First Minivan

mcrebob, 07/10/2003

I test drove this van and was instantly impressed with the handling and acceleration The list price on the model we chose is over $40,000. One thing that struck me is that the interior is, well, kinda cheap. The seats are nice, firm and supportive, but the armrests are plastic. The doors are very hard plastic. There's no memory on the power settings. There seems to be an odd lack of headroom for an interior with so much available space One thing that drives me crazy is that theres an edge that juts out from the door where they mounted the PW switches. This edge is hard is exactly where I might rest my left knee while driving. It is terribly uncomfortable

It must have been made on a Monday!

Lemon, 07/18/2006

I have had trouble with this van since the day we bought it. Constantly in the Service bay for one thing or another. I get smart sarcasms from the salesmen and mechanics. Most recently I have had this van in the dealership 6 times in a month and a half for the same problem. I will never buy another Dodge. We have always had foreign cars and I guess now we know why!

2003 Grand Caravan Sport (flex fuel eng)

sadie's mom, 06/21/2008

Bought this van used in 2007. Would like to have seen the driver seat move lower to the floor when fully moved forward as in the older models of the dodge vans. I am pretty short and still have a hard time reaching the pedals without moving the seat all the way forward and touching the steering wheel. Otherwise very comfortable. Stereo system excellent. Have had no mechanical problems at all during this year. Have taken on a couple of day trips and there were no complaints of being uncomfortable.

OK For The Money

gon2kona, 07/23/2009

Bought used from private party with 36000 miles. Dealer allowed us to purchase extended warranty and it's a good thing we did. My wife likes the van more than I but I tend to be more of a details person. For the money it's probably the best way to go if you need a mini van. Japanese competitors are much better build and reliability but also twice the dollar. We have had several issues with this van and know the service people well. Steering, Suspension Components, Transmission, Trans can't find the right gear on grades etc. AC was a problem also. GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. Chrysler, no wonder you guys are in trouble. You build self destructing products. Take notes from competitors.

5th and Last Grand Caravan

swgplain, 12/02/2009

We've owned 4 caravans before this and it seems that every model is worse then the before it. We bought it used with only 26,000 miles on it. Should have gotten the extended warranty. AT 38000 miles the turn indicator switch went out. Shortly there after the drivers side power lock and window control switch went out. Then the rear heater control switch went out. At 50000 miles the ABS sensors went out. We seriously considered the Honda Odyssey because of similar styling but at an average of 4 grand more and 20,000 miles more we opted to give the Americans one more chance. Now we have 92,000 miles and it needs a water pump and a power steering pump.

Best Minivan Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tull22, 10/16/2002

To start the whole process, the dealership was great my sales person was wonderful and most of all my new caravan Ex is unbeliveable. Before I had a ford winstar and the grand caravan just blows it away, from its unique look to is great ride and options that I want on my vehicle. I have put on just over 2000 miles in a month and I get good gas milage. If you are in the market for a minivan you have to atleast give dodge a shot I did and I love it!

The Best

IMackid4, 10/20/2002

This van is the bst in the world. The power sliding doors and the rear hatch is so cool. Pepole look at the van when ever I open the gate or close it. It comes in handy when pepoles hands are full.

Wonderful-Except for One Thing

trudy, 01/22/2003

We love our new Grand Caravan Sport. It is roomy & has lots of get up & go. However, with only being less than one year old, it has already been to the dealership five times!!! Something with the pulleys & belts. They always fix it & then it starts back again. But the inconvenience of always being in the dealership is a real drawback.

Caved and bought a minivan...

JClark, 01/25/2003

Finally succumbing to the harsh reality of growing older, we finally decided to purchase a minivan. After looking at and driving several (Town and County, Oddessy, Sienna, MPV), we decided the best value for the dough was the Dodge GC. I think it is definitely the sportiest looking of all minivans. Power of the 3.8L is good, difference from the 3.3L is noticable. Interior size is great and to purchase an extended 70K bumper-to-bumper warranty was cheap since it already carries a 70K powertrain warranty, which made it very attractive. Can't wait to take a long family dri

Great Value

guille, 06/10/2003

The market for minivans is interesting. Honda is feeling the heat and was willing to discount an Odyssey EX, with leather and DVD, by $2,000. Almost bough a Sport nicely equipped for $26.2, but I decided to drive a hard bargain for the ES with package 29S. I had to leave twice before the dealer acquiesed to selling the vehicle for $26.6 after rebates.

dans ex grand caravan

Daniel D, 07/14/2003

Very comfortable on long trips. Handles great for a minivan. The powered doors have become indispensible.

Best Van Available

Travler, 07/03/2003

Bought the eL after much shopping, looked at them all, Honda, Toyota, Ford and chevy. Dodge beats them all in ride/handling, comfort, and price, about the same on MPG as Honda/Toyota. Our eL is actually better than advertized on MPG. With only 1200 Miles (1 month old) on it we are consistantly getting 28.5 highway and low 20's in town. We got the 6-CD changer and the whole sound system is AWSOME. My wife and I are card carrying AARP members and we travel a lot however we needed a vehicle with room inside and lots of comfort. This van is it!

Best Family Vehicle I have Owned

Gary Frazier, 07/09/2003

We love this van. Roomy and confortable along with a gread smooth driving vehicle. I recommend one og these ot any family with kids.

My Best Car Yet

bparker, 07/24/2003

This care is smooth driving and easy handling. I have been a Grand Caravan owner since 1989 and this is the best yet.

Reliability issues

Sky B, 07/24/2003

We have a 2001 with only 16000 miles on it and have had nothing but trouble, nothing major yet, but plenty of trips to the dealer. Would not get another Dodge...

I Love My Van

KH2OS11, 07/25/2003

I have driven a Dodge caravan for 5 years now and I love it. Everytime they come out with something new we upgrade. It is like driving a car but with the room of a bus! I like all the room. With three kids to take around it is very nice to have a van that I can count on to meet all my need with the kids.I love the automatic slid doors!! I would never drive anything eles!! That is the truth

lust at first sight

victor morris, 07/25/2003

when i first saw this van,i almost got rearended i hit the brakes so hard..i was passing by a dealership in richmond,virginia and i saw the side door glide back.the leather seats that were exposed reminded me of my fathers lazyboy football chair,large and inviting.i made the first available u- turn,i had to investigate.once on the lot,the magnetic pull locked in on me like an alien tracter beam.once inside,i knew that i had to have it.auto doors(3),leather,dvd,radio controls on the steering wheel...best purchase of my life

Great van and warranty!

luvit!, 08/01/2003

There is a lot of advantages with the Grand Caravan. I love all the room and it rides REALLY nice! Four star safety, which is really important to me. The gas mileage is surprisingly good. Great warranty. I can't believe the prices of some of the other minivans. This had such a competitive price and it really delivers! The $3500 cash back was awesome!

Dodge Grand Caravan 03

mjulian, 08/05/2003

I have been driving Caravans and Grand Caravans for over 10 years now and have seen them get better in quality of build and dependability as well as comfort of ride. Usually averaging 15-18 mpg in the city and 23-25 mpg on the highway, I am more than satified with this vehicle and plan to stay with it for many years to come.

Dodge Grand Caravan AWD

mbh818, 08/16/2003

By far the best minivan available on the market today! AWD gives us the piece of mind and safety to get us through the unexpected storms that pop up in the Poconos. The kids love the DVD and Mom loves the Quad seating so the kids aren't on top of one another. It's the 3rd Dodge Grand Caravan we've owned. We'll nevewr buy another.

Love our mini van

Downhill97, 08/17/2003

The van is all we could ask for and more. It is very comfortable with plenty of storage space. When the rear seats are out its off to Home Depot where I can store a 4x12 sheet of plywood flat.

hmm...

Ffridley, 08/27/2003

I traded in a '97 (which I will NEVER recommend!)(had a 3.0 engine) to get this newer model in hopes that Dodge would've corrected most of the engine problems. It hasn't been bad but now my exhaust is starting to smell AGAIN. This disgusts me. Also the engine space is a little better but still hard to do self maintenance to the vehicle. I probably will not be purchasing another Gr. Caravan in the future and because of the smell look forward to trading it soon if the service department can't take care of the problem.

excellent

lili12345, 09/17/2003

my husband was one of those"mini vans are for women" until one day he was hunting and his truck got stuck up on the logging trail. not only was i able to pick him up, i was able to take him further. it went over huge rocks with ease and never damaged the van. he now loves the van...also it is able to keep up with a bmw z-3! love, love my van...lots of room too

Simply Grand Caravan

marycc6, 09/19/2003

I love the Dodge Grand Caravan. It is easy to handle, very comfortable and I can easily get five loud eight year olds or just one squirmy two year old into it. The ride is smooth, the pick up is great, and the interior is sleek and convenient.

carlos

flames rivers, 09/24/2003

this van has gos milage and is good for sports moms so the can drive their kids to games as well as their friends

a berg, 09/24/2003

Great vehicle We never thought we would own a minivan but it is great when traveling with the kids...

5x Satisfied Chrysler Customer

Brighton Resident, 09/24/2003

Very satisfied with my 5th new Chrysler product!

Amazing car for its price!

Stuartp222, 09/24/2003

We have a SE model and it is the most useful thing on this earth.

Likes and Dislikes

Newvan318, 09/24/2003

Fun to drive confortable for the whole family good dependable travel vehicle, just needs more horses.

Affordable Comfort and Versatility

The Warden, 09/29/2003

While it is no Honda Odyssey, at least that is what I am told by those rich enough to afford the Honda minivan, my Dodge Grand Caravan Sport is fun to drive, versitile, and, so far anyway, reliable...and for thousands less after rebates and negotiations than what people are paying for a comparably equipped Odyssey. This is my second Grand Caravan. My first was a 1999 with the same engine that gave me no trouble whatsoever. Dodge continues to impress me with the Grand Caravan and I will be back in a few years to get another one.

51050