Used 1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

Used Durango for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...26

Pros
Cons

Fabulous - if you can afford it.

So-So, 04/21/2010
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My mother purchased this car for me at 130,000 miles and it ran perfect then. In the winter, this thing is a dream - blizzard? I don't care, 4WD - I'm going to the mall! So-so MPG is worth it. In the summer? No, thank you. MPG plus AC? No. Plus, my AC stopped working at 150,000 miles! The heater is questionable too. It takes longer than usual to defrost the windows in the winter. Also, all of that 4WD use caused driving to become uncomfortably rocky late this winter, prompting a $899 bill to replace four ball joints, tire rod end, and a wheel alignment; front end work common with this vehicle.

Bad truck, but Dodge itself is worse

J to the C, 11/19/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 1998 and it's been a rough ride since day one. This truck has stranded me, the wife and the kids at least 5 times in 4 years, We've gone through 5 batteries, 2 water pumps, 2 window motors, a washer pump, a blown freeze plug and a front seat, plus now with 50k miles the dealer says the ball joints are shot, the transfer case is leaking and the cooling system is corroded (even though they serviced it). After the 3 year warranty expired we tried to get Dodge to help us out at least a little bit but they told us to go to hell. Overall a bad car and a worse car company. Avoid at all costs.

I hate this Dodge

D, 08/02/2005
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had nothing but problems with my Durango. It's in the repair shop every other month with a bill of around $700.00 a whack. When I bought it, I wasn't planning on a monthly repair budget. I've had to replace all the major front end pieces, ball joints, tie rods, etc.. The belt has had to be replaced twice, spark plug wires twice, a gasket under the throttle body, one brake rotor, the windows keep sticking and now the u-joints are going out. But I do get to enjoy 18 mpg on the highway, if I'm lucky. :( At only 81,000 miles I should NOT be replacing major mechanical parts. If your planning on buying a Durango, plan on budgeting for monthly repairs and have back up transportation ready.

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k...

Marcus Williams, 09/26/2003
SLT 4dr SUV

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k, I am an owner of a 99 Dodge Durango. Other than the $30k I paid for it, and the extra $5k I'm having to spend in repairs, it drives decent. The truck has a problem with the oil pump causing the oil pressure to drop which causes the engine to burn out overtime. I found this to be a problem in many Dodge Durangos after going to consumer Affairs and reading about it. It's been over 30 instances of this same problem. If you want to read about it, here's the article http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/do dge_dur_oil.html

Good and Bad

Good and Bad, 04/05/2006
SLT 4dr SUV

Very utilitarian. Great for trips and easy to drive around a large metro area. Gas mileage is reasonable. Much better to operate than a large SUV. On the negative side, the transmission went "belly-up", a major expense, the AC has been a problem, and keeping the alignment corrected has been an issue.

12345...26