Used 1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 129 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Old reliable
By Josh eckel

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Gas mileage is well ify it's a v8 keep your foot off the gas u will see14 mpg in city 19 on hwy don't and u can watch the needle drop. Make sure every 15000 miles u drop the trany pan change the trans filter and tighten the bands as long as u do this no trans problem. Make sure u do this that's the reason why this trans got a bad reputation. No one ever did this i am a mechanic of 18 years and a dodge tech i know i have 168000 miles no trans problem. It also states this in owners manual.

All around great suv
By myrango

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my durango now for 5 years. Let me tell you this has been the best suv I've ever owned. Its realible and tough. It is just what i needed. I've driven it to Florida and back to Louisiana 4 times, with no problems!! Outside of regular maintenance its been no problem. My 1999 durango owes me nothing. I would recommend this suv for anyone. Plenty of power(5.9 liter engine). The gas milage could be better but seriously I have no complaints. 3rd row seat provides more than enough room for friends and family. 4X4, nice ruged but stylish look and bold body style.. A great suv for camping or travel. A 5* hands down.

The power and the nice look are my favorite things about this suv. It has plenty of towing power and the 4x4 drive are second to none. I love the interior room and design(leather seats) come in handy with the kids. I have the 5.9 liter engine not the 5.2!

Gas milage could be better but for all the other things I like about this suv I can deal with it.

Best of the best; built to last
By bucksbigtrucks

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck with 201,000 miles, no problems. Now has 225,000 miles, still no problems. This truck runs so strong like it has only 25,000 miles. It can tow pretty much anything and 4X4 works great. Very satisfied with it. Only like the First Generation models though; Second Generation looks too much like a van. Stick with the 99 - 03 and you'll enjoy it.

Rides like a truck and seats a full family. Tough and protective of the whole load. Need space? fold the 3rd row down and you're set.

Brush guards should be standard

I love this truck!
By bigrob54

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 99 Durango last fall. I purchased the vehical with the intent on making it into a mud bogger. I bought the truck from a retired couple that bought it new. They gave me all the recipts and a maintenace log. The truck only had 82000 miles on it! Over the winter I was in a accident with my everyday driver (2010 Silverado) The truck was totaled. I started to use the Durango as an everyday driver. I have NEVER owned a truck that did so well in the snow. I live in Northern Michigan. We get alot of snow! This Durango slices thru the snow at ease. I only had to use the 4 WD 3-4 times. I have since decieded not to turn this truck into a bogger. It's just in too good of shape. Great Truck!

the rugged body and 4wd are worth the so, so MPG

MPG would be one. For everyday driving in the city it sucks. But the power and 4wd make up for a little of that.

1999 Dodge Durango
By fcardenas88

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

My mom bought this car new out of the lot back in 1999. She passed on to me with 100,000K when I graduated from high school. Car ran great but gas millage was horrible. The only thing I did not like about this car is that when you would drive it it was very heavy to drive and not smooth. It now has 192,000K and it still has the original tranmission and engine. Ive taken this car to Canada, Mexico and North Carolina and it did great and til this day it still runs great and looks good new too.

I did like the fact that when going on roadtrips it was excellent on hills and the gas millage too.

If I would to get another car I would get another Durango but with a better gas millage, and hopefully the news ones dont feel heave as mine did when you drive it.