Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

4.7 L V8 Not listed
By Trooper

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Buy the 4.7L. The 6 is just not powerful enough. That said, I had ONE issue over 100,000 miles. I had to repair the parking brake. At 105K I replaced the waterpump. As an aside, there is a ton of room under the hood if you do your own repairs. I didn't even have to remove the radiator to get the water pump out! I drive off road and tow a trailer. Both are no problem for the Dak (W/4.7L) At 128K there is rust starting under the paint on the front lower drivers door and the classic 3rd brake light hole rust, also not through the paint, yet. Get the 60/40 bench seat. My brother has the buckets and the console lid has no padding and sucks to drive for any length of time. The bench also allows you to haul 3 adults if you need to. The rear "seat" is a package shelf for your subwoofer and jacket. THe 4wd works very well in the mud as well as rain on the highway. The drivers seat left bolster is going to collapse after 80K. If you live in the south, you're going to have to repaint the black trim on the cab after 2014. So far, this truck has been excellent so, of course, in 2005

My Blue Beastie the 04 Dakota 4.7 5 speed 4X4.
By warchild_50

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Before the Canyon and Colorado there was only Dodge's Dakota. I bought mine used since then it has been through the ringer. Still roars when prodded,nimble when needed and a brute in torque
that is able to pull the eye teeth out of a medium Dinosaur!! A very capable grocery getter and docile enough to get to church on time.

Powerful 4.7 Magnum mod motor, gobs of torque. Gas MPG is what else poor to wow are you kidding me!! Hey it IS a truck,yes? Shift with locking the hubs yippeee!! 5 Speed is silky smooth though highway noise comes through loud and clear.

Better noise quiting. Do the back of the cab have doors now, they should. Maybe a Pre-runner type would be offered.

Love it
By David

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Our Dakota is a great medium sized truck. The towing capacity is more then adequate for our little trailer. I know much has been said about the fuel economy of the 3.7 litre but I have to say that we get 20-21 around town ans 24-25 on the highway. We keep it at 65MPH. Do wonder about the OD on the transmission; under 50 and on hills at that speed I feel it performs better with the OD off.Comfortable and solid drive!

2004 dakota club cab V-6
By fred

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Replaced my 1995 Dakota with the 2004 because it had 244k miles and I didn't like the 2005 body style. I now have 116k miles. Replaced water pump, tires x 1. Still have original battery! Love it but regret not keeping the 95 (the guy I sold it to ran it into the ground) and buying a durango for the covered cargo area for luggage and groceries.

appearance, styling, paint (like new), galvanized sheet metal carrying capacity/utility - livestock, manure, straw, hay, top soil, mulch, furniture, appliances, lumber, drywall, etc. fuel economy - 21mpg by finding best route and using cruise control extensively heated electric mirrors

dump the black carpeting and dark upholstery -- it always looks dirty! improve the auto-dimming rear view mirror - the old prismatic mirror does a better job shut down a couple of cylinders when cruising at highway speeds and not hauling cargo/trailer

Engine Replacement
By roguedogg420

2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 2dr Club Cab SXT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I can't believe that no one else mentioned this. After 16,000 the check engine light came on...brought the truck back to the dealership who told me the head was cracked. Ordered a new head (took a month) and it was replaced. 2 days later check engine light is back on and vehicle has no compression. Engine had to be replaced (took a month because they were on backorder due to several similar cases). New engine has a constant ticking sound. Saw another Dakota owner who told me the SAME THING HAPPENED TO HIS!!! 2 Dakotas in the same area!!!

Always liked the Dakotas, this is my 3rd one but will be very wary about getting another.

Gas Mileage, more comfortable seats, more room in the back.