Used 2009 Dodge Challenger Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Challenger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Challenger model:

Buy it!
By Cody

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 2 years and the only issues I've had were bad brake pads from the factory (also change the factory brembo brake pads for hawk performance brake pads, the brembos make too much brake dust and have a tendency to squeal) and a low whining sound from the rear end from 25-32 mph (apparently normally experienced by other owners as well). Other than that, she has been amazing, no issues, great power, even the automatics have excellent transmission shift times. Test drove Camaro SS's (poor visibility, worse sound system, virtually no rear leg room, very cramped in the front, way smaller trunk space) and the Mustang GT (horrible sound system, atrocious rear leg/head/every other part of your body room), and they didn't come close. The SRT8 has far superior electronics and interface, ride stability is rock solid, engine power is immediate with an unbelievably satisfying roar at full throttle, amazing amounts of front and rear leg/head room (sitting in the drivers seat can almost feel like being in a truck), visibility is great, sound system is mind-shatteringly good, Sat Nav is great, and despite being 4080 lbs,, she handles much more nimbly than you'd expect (compared to other muscle cars obviously, not as nimble as European sports cars). I do wish she was a bit louder at idle and lower rpms, and definitely switch to hawk performance brake pads, but besides that, they are phenomenal. It's definitely worth buying, if you don't, you're missing out.

SRT8 Black Beauty
By Joey

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought this 2009 SRT8 Black Beauty. It is best car I've ever owned, and I've had 2 Mercedes, Porche 911, and 2 corvettes. The Challenger beats them all hands down for quality, power, comfort, and performance. You can drive this car daily as it is extremely livable or save it for weekend jaunts. I am thrilled every time I get in the car and turn it on. I get so many compliments on it from total strangers. This car has a style that will never go out of style. I'm keeping this car forever and a day. If you have the cash, I highly recommend you pick one up if at all possible. It has true collector car value in my opinion.

fun car when it will start
By bsisco

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

beware, after a year of good reliability my car like many others has developed wireless ignition node issues.W.I.N module. Sometimes the car will start and run and other days it will not. It started this at 36000 miles. After weeks of online info browsing I've come to the conclusion that this issue is rarely resolved correctly at the dealers and is not an issue I can fix myself do the the complicated programming and tools needed to do the job. As for now, I pay a payment for a car that is no where near as reliable as my 2nd car...a 2000 mustang with over 200,000 trouble free miles on it. This is my first dodge product and clearly my last.

Looks and performance, but I have owned late model mustangs that are faster.

remove the keyless go system and win module so the car will start and run dependably like the millions of ford products on the roads today.

Blue Nostalgia
By quickjack

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 2dr Coupe (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my B5 blue SRT8 in October, 2010 with a 6-speed manual. I have loved putting each and every mile on it since. The transmission shifts are crisp, the engine pulls like a freight train, and what a glorious sound track. The interior is comfortable and practical but no styling frills here. The well bolstered buckets are comfortable on the longest of trips, and even heated for those cold mornings. The back seat is for children or small adults, but nonetheless comfortable. The trunk offers ample space, with a 60/40 rear seat split. If you buy this car, prepare for attention. Even still, I get people craning their necks to have a look. After 2 years, I still wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thunderous 6.1 V-8, NASA quality 6-speed transmission, Great Brembo brakes, handles very well for a big car, comfortable, awesome stereo

Dump the terrible 1-4 skip shift, stability control system is too intrusive, an in between setting would be nice, no quick release for driver's seat

39 years later it was my turn
By smart_shopper

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

As a child in 1969 I went with my dad when he picked up a new 1970 Dodge Charger. I sat in an orange car that I later learned was a Challenger.

I've owned a lot of cars over the years, including a new 1997 Trans AM WS-6, which is a beautiful car until you have to do any engine work. I can say the Challenger is arguably the best new car I've ever owned.

It is huge, it's larger and weighs as much as my truck, a 1st gen 5.9L Durango, yet it gets almost 24 MPG on the Interstate. It has many bells & whistles never thought of in 1970, and it's the best looking retro muscle car in my opinion. Due to size and weight, it's not as fast as the smaller Camaro, but to each their own.

The styling and Hemi Orange paint did it for me. The 6 speed manual transmission was icing on the cake. The entire engine is accessible. One of my gripes in working on cars is the people that design them never have to work on them. The Challenger has a huge engine bay, and routine maintenance is fairly easy- just pull off the plastic cover underneath and you can access the oil filter and pan. I've added HD cooling to mine- the SRT2 radiator, a lower temp thermostat and fan control, and an oil cooler w/ thermostat from a Mazda RX-7. The car runs a lot cooler here in the South.

Do away with the skip-shift feature that locks out gears 2-3 under certain conditions, so people like me don't have to bypass it. I realize the skip-shift is more federal intrusiveness into how our cars are made, but maybe someday we can again build great cars in this country that people want to buy and drive (contrary to the Revolutionary War ad, the Challenger is made in Canada). The nav feature could be a little more user-friendly when trying to find a named business. I'm not a fan of wagon (huge diameter) wheels. The 18" wheels were plenty large, and my car came with 20" wheels. Rear visibility takes some getting use to. I added a camera over the license plate.