Used 2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Caravan for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

2nd Caravan

Bill Sparrow, 10/08/2009

Bought a demo with 8k, 3.3 litre SE. Live 80 km north of Winnipeg so almost all hwy use. Have over 50k, not a single problem, get 9 litres/100km, hwy (31 mpg Imperial, 26 US). Took out the back seats and put in a hinged bed for camping. This is my 2nd Chrysler mini-van; 1st a Plymouth w/ 3 litre engine. Did 110k on that one with only tires, brake pads and battery required. Paid $18,000.00 for Caravan, Sienna would have been almost double. Looking forward to the plug- in hybrid model. Can't understand why some say they only get 16 hwy; these vans are made on an assembly line; should be fairly consistent. I baby my vehicles, so may be a connection there. Keep oil and air filter clean. Tnx.

First Month

Robert, 09/27/2006

Have owned a Grand Caravan in the past. Like the looks and the size of the standard. SXT model came equipped with all of the desired options. Appreciate the comfortable mid-row bucket seats. Keeps the kids seperated and happy (and that makes me happy). Looking forward to many family trips.

5 Year Review

joegiant, 09/28/2011

Have had "Bonnie" now for 5 years. #1 thing about the van - value. Bought new and Chysler was giving these away at the time so I thought I'd take one since we needed the "family vehicle" for kids sports etc. etc. As noted on Edmunds reliability rating, our SXT 3.3L did in fact have the water pump go at 45k. The rack and pinion steering was replaced within the first year of ownership. Aside from regular maintenance, that's about it. Currently 71k on the odometer. Will admit, for a lower hp'ed V6, not real good on gas. 21mpg all around I'm guessing, lil' better on the hwy but nowhere near the sticker 26 mpg. Very comfortable ride IMHO. American made (Fenton, MO) which is hard to find today.

Done with Caravans

weicht, 06/04/2015
SE 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate Caravans! I bought it used with around 36,000 miles. Around 50,000 miles had to have a position sensor replaced. Now I have 136,000 miles on it and the transmission went.

Stay Away

Annoyed, 01/13/2009

At 12000 miles front rotors needed replaced under warranty (had to fight with Chrysler for this). Done again at 30000 miles not under warranty. At 30000 catalytic converter replaced also under warranty. At 43500 engine needs replaced. Dealer says the crankshaft thrust bearing went bad. The crankshaft walked and took out the front seal. Engine started leaking oil. 2006 the only warranty was 3 years/36000 miles. No warranty on engine replacement. These motors are garbage. They are will not hold up in a Caravan.

Bad Experience

Manny, 10/11/2009

Bought it used (10K miles). Currently 42K miles. Transmission broke down. Second 4-cylinder Caravan I own, same thing happened to first. Don't buy it! Transmission and 2.4, 4 Cyl engine NOT a good combination.

so far so good

fordfan, 11/11/2009

Bought it as used at carmax. 2.4l engine. Kind of loud. Other than that everything is good. 20-22 combined mpg. Reliability is good for my 3 yrs ownership. Nothing broken down. Good value.

Flipper!

Josh R., 12/01/2009

I've had this van as a work vehicle through my company for the past two years, and it's been a good little trooper. I neither baby my vehicles nor treat them especially rough, and though the fuel mileage isn't what I would like it to be, it's been very reliable and I enjoy driving it. It holds a LOT of cargo, has Stow-n-Go seating for passengers should I need to carry them, and handles better than I ever expected a minivan would. The 3.3L V6 is quiet and has decent torque, laboring only in 100-degree heat when the air is running full blast and you're trying to get up to freeway speed. It's comfortable too, though the seats need better hip and thigh support.

Great mini van

bobby&sharon, 01/10/2006

we bought this van about 1 week ago and we love it. Fuel economy is great, good ride, good room, beautiful red outside. I feel it will be a good van for a long time.

The fun ride

michelle becklehimer, 08/19/2006

I bought this van to go on vacations and for my son who is in sports. It's easy to handle and easy to park, and I will buy a another one just like it because it is so convenient for me to have all the room and the good gas mileage

51050