Used 1997 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Town and Country for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Buyer Beware

msbiggs30, 08/04/2009
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

I bought this van b/c I needed more room for my 3 small children. The first thing to go wrong was the passenger sliding door. It gets stuck sometimes and is hard to open. The wipers have a mind of their own and will usually come on when I turn on the blinker. The ceiling lining is falling down. The passenger window has come off track, but the window motor is still good. I recently took it for a diagnostic check and found that my 2 sensor and EG valve needs replacing. This was the reason that my "check engine" light was on. The cd player no longer works, but the radio is still good. Aside from these flaws it's very comfortable and luxurious feeling. My kids love all the room!!

Terrible transmissions

Greg Goode, 07/29/2005
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We owned a Dodge caravan before this T&C. We put 2 transmissions in it in 100,000 miles. We were skeptical about buying another Chrylsler van but we talked to the service manager at the dealership and he assured us that Chrysler had fixed their transmission problems, WRONG, Wrong and WRONG. We put 3 new transmissions in the 67,000 miles that we've had the van.WE bought it used with 53,000 miles so it could have had more go bad. You might think that maybe it is our driving habits but in our 55 yrs of driving experience these 2 Chrylser vans are the only transmissions we have ever had go bad. We are selling this hunk of transmission junk ASAP and will never buy another Chrysler product.

Where are the lights

Ray, 11/27/2007
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this car new and other than regular maintenance haven't had any repair issues. The real problem thought is the lack of headlights. In fact I can't believe that it is legal to sell a car with headlights this bad. We drive all the time with the brights on and never does anyone flash their lights at us. \The dims are completely useless and the brights only slightly better.

mistery

fyp, 03/14/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Made is USA, it should be the best. Very nice overall plush ride, cd & cassette. 3.8 V 6. great 20 mpg avg. Good enough power. AWD will be nice to have. BUT Neither the dealer nor my mechanic can NOT figure it out a dangerous problems It's been having. When making a turn the engine just dies or when in cruse control at 55 mph . It almost stalls ,RPMs go to zero, shuts off the CC but keeps running. We worry we might get rear ended.Spent $1000's the problem still there.Some of these vans R reliable,some R not.Due 2 thESE BAD glitches,no body can figure them out.

Great on the Highway

calbeard, 10/28/2008
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

Many good things about this van, but the bad points are major: The transmission is, at best good for 50,000 miles. My transmission repair guy says that this type of transmission keeps him in business. I've put in three. Gas mileage is very poor. Open highway we get 16, city 13. Several mechanics say that there is nothing wrong. My full size van with a V-8 got better gas mileage. Brake pads last about six months, tires about a year.

Great Van

clevershark, 07/22/2002
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

My wife and I have used this van like a truck. We have hauled doors, concrete, lumber, 36" TV and entertainment center, and tons more. Plus our 3 kids. We can haul more then our friends Durango.

T&C LXi Review after 100k miles

JLaw, 08/02/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

At first when I was forced into a minivan for the family my thoughts where no pleasant. However this minivan has been an excellent vehicle no major work at all for 100k miles. Just a bottle of Prolong in the tranny and engine... I never thought I would own a Chrysler and like it, not bad.

Chrysler Town & Country LXI 1997

Hothotpepper, 08/12/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We love this car! It is plush with soft leather seats, and has had no problems, except on the first day when it stalled, after which the dealer fixed completely...CHRYSLER, you did good on this one!

Unreliable

Radames , 08/22/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We loved this car until we had to take it to the shop on numerous occasions to have some (multiple) electrical problems fixed, leaky fuel line (recalled years later). It appears this year they had multiple probems on many of these vehicles. The stereo died after 2 days, etc. If it would have been more reliable it would have been a delight.

15 years of minivans

Wanda, 08/25/2002
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

I've enjoyed Chrylser's minvans for over 15 years, (87 for 10 years, 97 for 5 years) and now that the kids are grown I still can't seem to give it up. This is a true luxury vehicle and it's a joy to drive. It runs smoothly, is quiet, has a great sound system and has plenty of power to get me up the mountain roads I frequent. It holds 6 -7 people comfortably on long or short trips. Gas mileage is very good - up to 30 mpg on freeway trips, and about 18 around town. Love the computer readout, too. I can carry lots of stuff from Home Depot, big boxes from Best Buy... all my favorite shopping places.

Great Van

cecep, 11/07/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Since we brought our van in October it has been a great car. only now are we noticing a steering squeak when turning the wheel while in reverse. The 3.8L V6 is pretty quick on the highway and has excellent pickup! Roomy inside and very comfortable when we do long trips this is one of the best van you can buy used. In our opinion you should buy one if you found a great deal on it!

Best bet for yor dollar

harpie, 10/27/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Currently at 95K the small stuff breaks. The van is comfortable, programable seats that adjust to seperate his and her key fobs are way cool, show 'em off to buddies w/o kids. The button on the bottom row of the center console get gummed from splash from cup holders directly in front. It has more cup holders than people. So far we have replaced (major stuff) a steering knuckle, 2 calipers, 2 front rotors and 1 AC compressor ($$$) Lots of small stuff like trim falling off the door, a possessed door speaker. At 95K it starts to rattle and groan a bit- nickle and dime me (big time) Fuel economy has suffered in the last year 20 - 16 MPG

Was Happy for a while.

WasHappy, 12/05/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We really love the way this vehicle looks and handles. The plush interior sold us right away. (Love at first site.) Then reality sat in. We are have had several electrical problems. 1.The windshield wipers comes on by themselves from time to time whenever the signal is used to make a turn. 2. We had to replace the motor in both drivers and passenger side windows 4 times, and now the passenger side window is going out again. 3. The power seats motor on the passenger's side has stop working completely. 4. The driver's side seats will not go up and back anymore. Now my transmission is going out

It's a bomb

BGvan, 12/09/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I can't stand this car. I have put more money into this poor excuse for a car. It has been nothing but trouble. THere is absolutely nothing redeeming about this car.

Buy One!!!

Happyowner, 12/12/2002
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Had it for 5 yaers and its been trouble Free! Buy it you'll like it!

BUY ONE!! You'll love it!!!

minivanowner, 01/31/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We have had our van for 5 years and its been great! BUY ONE YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!

Same old Trasmissions

It's "Ok", 02/21/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We sold our caravan after the transmission went out twice.The serviceman from the Chrysler dealership told us that Chrysler had fixed the problem aand these vans had no transmision problems,WRONG!. Ours went out at 73,000.If you buy this van just save up your money and count on the transmission going out as a fact of life.It also has electrical problems.The wipers come on by themselves sometimes.Overall I'ts a good van except for worrying about when the transmission will go out next.

Not the best . . .

cmilitel, 07/09/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This vehicle looked very good when it was under warranty, but soon afterwards, multiple problems surfaced. Belts that required hours of labor to replace would break, brake systems requiring $6-700 repairs, air conditioning that never worked properly after about 50K miles. The electrical system was always suspect as well, with warning lights that came on randomly even when there was nothing wrong and windshield wipers that go on by themselves. I would not buy this or any other Chrysler product unless I knew I could get rid of it before the manufacturer's warranty expired.

this is a lemon

arceeagc, 08/16/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

this is a lemon. less than a year after i bought this --a buzzing sound on the drivers side- at speed of 50mph.keep on bringing to dealer-they can't find the problem.you can't hear it on the freeway coz its too noisy overthere/now I'm immune already to this noise.Every 3 months I have to bring it to the dealer for some problems.they change already the 3 sensors. ; they change the pump. the master cylinder,the lock spring assy. the tension spring. what's next???

Never again!

Joelle Crahay, 09/05/2003
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

From the start I had problems with that car. One think after another...from major problems such as the AC condensor needing replacement to minor problems such as the mirror falling off while driving I was at the garage monthly the first year. I don't know why I didn't sell it right there, I kekt hoping things would improve. It never did.

Never again!

tdml68, 09/30/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I wanted to be a supportive Buy USA citizen, but after my problems with the Chrysler and ALL of the headaches--never again. I should have known after the first week I bought it. The interior was leaking because the rear door seal was leaking. The sliding door was defective. I've had to replace the transmission. I've had to replace the engine The A/C Compressor Ever since I've owned it, there is a high pitch sound when it is driven faster than 60 miles an hour--I hear it but Chrylser never hears it. Amazing. I could go on and on... Stay away from these if you want peace of mind. I am now looking to dump the junk and get a Sienna or Odyssey.

Transmission Fixed?

Elderchuck, 01/13/2005
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

This is our fifth Chrysler mini van because it is a comfortable ride and large space. Mileage is disappointing and never buy one without power train extended warranty. This is also our tenth transmission (two each).

Mixed Review

barrettson, 10/14/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Average $400-500 repairs every 3 mos. or so. Lots of sensors going bad. Great ride and performance, though.

Good choice!

Mr. Mac, 03/02/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Overall experience is great. Rides well, lots of room, and has been VERY dependable - no mechanical concerns at all. I am ready to trade up to a new '03.

Town and Country LXI

ByrdDawg, 11/15/2003
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought this vehicle at a good price. I've experienced no major problems with it, and I've only had to replace three parts [from normal wear and tear].

Still the King of Minivans

Alex, 05/28/2005
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

I owned the T/C LXI since 1996 and it's been excellent. So far, only regular oil change and scheduled maintenance. It's very comfort to drive and to sit inside as passenger. I later installed a DVD and I plan to install a rear view camera too. Then I don't need to buy a new one for another 8 years I hope.

Chrysler LXI

rdsdcd, 12/14/2003
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Buyer Beware. Make sure you purchase the extended warranty. Had to replace the transmission after 60,000 miles. Both driver and passenger electric window motors had to be replaced. Too many false sensor lights. Other than that, not a bad vehicle.

Almost 20 years of Chrysler Minivans

GaryA, 12/23/2003
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought one of the first Voyagers built in '84 - this T&C is our third Chrysler minivan, we traded 'em in at 150k miles, this one's got 125k. Have spent many times more on repairs on the '97 T&C as the other two combined! A real disappointment after two great cars we loved. We like this car, but hard to love one that requires frequent repairs. Have to think about it next time, but we will probably buy another T&C when we trade this one in - just hope quality of this model is back to the level it was in the 80's.

Incredibly reliable vehicle

Teresa Brown, 08/16/2005
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We just didn't have any significant problems with this workhorse vehicle. At 105,000 miles, it has never broken down. I simply don't have any complaints.

Road Runner

Lou Hancherick, 10/27/2005
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

This is the third Chrysler built AWD van that I have owned. By far this is the best one yet and all of them were better than any SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicles) I often drive to Texas Louisanna, and Florida from Pennslvania and this T&C can be driven all day in pure comfort. I have put 22,000 miles on this vehicle without any major problems. Too bad Chrysler is no longer building vans with the AWD option. I might have to switch to a Toyota but would rather buy American.

Great Value #1 Van

JeremiePereira, 01/31/2004
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This van is simply great the LXI model has every option you want and need> And what a value

Great T&C

John Michael Ehlen, 04/06/2004
LX 4dr Ext Minivan AWD

Although I have heard many bad stories about the T&C we have had very little trouble from ours. After 165000 miles we have done a couple of tune-ups and replaced the brake pads a couple of times. The car is comfortable and reliable.

T&C Transmissions

Nasa, 04/11/2004
LX 4dr Ext Minivan

My wife loves the drive and efficiency of the T&C vehicle design. We have replaced the transmission 3 times: once just over 36k miles on a trip and Chrysler paid for the parts after our complaint but labor still cost me $1200. Second time at about 54k and third time at 63k. The 3rd time the Chrysler rebuilt transmission was covered for the parts again.

1997 Town and Country LXi

stan73, 10/25/2004
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

Having owned 89 ES , 94 ES AWD This unit drives better, stops much better, is much quieter, window can be rolled down with the wind staying outside. The back seat is too high Lots of room, good tested milage however I would prefer the 3.3 rather than the 3.8 L. any thing for better milage. NOT AS GOOD LOOKING AS 94 ES series. Would have preferred to see the many improvements applied to older body style, which look much more stylish. Good car all around replace your fan belt, find a commerecial welder NON BODY MAN to weld your rusting struts and this unit will be with your for a long time.

Old but drives great

ed, 12/03/2007
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

This vehicle started as a good priced buy. It needed work which I could do and save money. The body was in nice shape but the mechanicals needed more than I expected. Every week for a couple of months it dollared me to death (I have gotten rid of vehicles for giving me less trouble). But I loved the ride and drive. After appx. $1000 in needed work it started to come around. Didn't last long, transmission went out to the tune of $2400. Had it replaced. One major concern from day one. The engine will shut down for appx. a second. If running at highway speeds it will restart. If very slow or stopped it will die completely. But it will restart immediately. This doesn't bother me too much-so far.

1997 T&C LXI

billdeb, 05/18/2008
LXi 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought ours used with 90k, very nice van, lost both back window motors, problem with wipers working when it rains (go figure) and just developed brake line leak inside rear wheel manifold. Great family vehicle, fun to drive, we will buy another.

51050