Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

My first car
By Amelia

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've drove other cars before, but this has been the most functional car I've been in. I got a great deal for the car, 3.9k for a car that's done 40k miles on it. The air conditioner is great! I got it in the summer and it has helped my experience! Not only that but I love the seat warmers!! Actually, that was the most surprising thing haha, a 2002 car with seat warmers?! Nice... Now, I have noticed a few things with it-and it might be because of its age?- but it's slow when it comes to accelerating. Example: I have a upward hill leads to a highway and I find it takes longer to go to 60 when needed too. I learned that you really have to put your foot down. Another thing is that the car is poor at turning out, like when I come out of a parking lot I have to make sure I turn hard. The car does wide turns, so if you consider this car, make sure you get the feel of it's turns. Overall, I think this is a great car for first time drivers. The car is really great in that I can see over my shoulder a lot better :) Also wanted to note that almost everyday I find a new function to the car, like a coin sorter! The biggest thing I worried about the car was safety, especially when I did more research, however, I would say after driving with it for months, it's a very safe car. It brakes hard, has traction, I had no problems with the transmission, etc. Overall, I got a grandma car, it was probably only used for local shopping haha. I love the car a lot!

They suck
By random person

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

These cars are known for major engine failures in many ways. they break randomly and to fix anything the whole engine has to come out. before buying ask yourself why. only redemption comes with good acceleration and an appealing interior.

My PT is my baby!
By Baby's mom

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When you treat it right, you'll get your monies worth. I've owned mine for 15 years, I love it.

Inca gold cruiser dream pt.
By Earl ELdridge

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2002 pt dream cruiser for $2200. Car had 69000 miles. Now has 461000 miles. Love this car. Great on gas, put studded winter tires on, car was great in snow. Put a heavy duty racing rad in car & no more heating problems. Just regular mant. No major problems at all. Have driven car for over 8 years, & have 3 of the same car. Would recommend these cars. Mine has the turbo motor & 250 hp. 5 spd. 18" wheels & ceramic brake pads on all 4 wheels. Also racing struts on all 4 corners. I also use lucas gas treatment, 1 bottle per tank of gas & get 4 more miles per. Gallon. Also use only moble 1 oil. Also put lucas treatment in trans. Power steering & it makes a big different.

My Hot wheels car
By Chris L

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a 2002 base model, 5 speed. I bought this car in May of 2016 with only 68,500 on it. I have had no major issues with it. Most of the repairs were minor such as the front and rear sway bar bushings, plugs and wires and front wheel bearings. The car is an absolute joy to drive. With the rear seats removed it can hold an 8-piece drum set with ease. The controls are easy to find and use. Though it is not a high performance car, it does have some "get up and go" to it. The ride can be a little hard on rough roads, but overall it is a smooth ride. If this car is well maintained, it can last years. There are a few major expenses to expect when getting the car. One is the timing belt. It must be replaced around the 90,000 to 100,000 mile mark. This can cost up to $1000 unless you "know a guy"

Update 4/24/18: The replacement of the timing belt cost about $900. This includes the belt, Idler pulley, Tensioner pulley, water pump, disconnecting and recharging the AC, and a refill of the coolant. Both pulleys and the belt were in poor shape. If you are looking to get one, check and see if the time belt has been done. The mechanic that did mine put a label on the timing belt cover stating the mileage of replacement.