Used 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Limited HEV 5.7L V8 Hybrid 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

Best body on frame SUV for the money
By Shandor Weiss

2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid Limited HEV 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

I absolutely love my 09 Aspen with the 5.7L gas hemi engine. AWD, J package, 20" wheels. It's beautiful to look at, to sit in and to drive. Bought it used with 72K miles. This is a real SUV although it looks like a luxury car. I live in the mountains of Oregon down a long winding gravel road, and have to go over a 4300 foot pass on I-5. It handles like a dream, especially after getting new and better shocks and tires. The hemi has awesome power, even carrying a heavy load and going up a 6% grade it can accelerate like a sports car to pass trucks. Smooth, comfortable handling. The firm heated seats are great on my injured back, as is the remotely operated rear lift gate. I've had many other SUVs, from Subarus to the old Jeep Grand Wagoneer to a 99 Durango with the 5.7L hemi. The Aspen is far better than all of them. I need to tow a horse trailer and it has more towing capacity than bigger SUVs that cost a lot more. It is almost perfect, I just wish they still made them.

Update: I've owned this Aspen for 9 months now, and I still love it. I love seeing it when I go out the door, I love getting in it, I love driving it. I put on a chrome brush/grille guard made for the same year Durango, it looks awesome. It handles great in mud and snow, too.

So far a great investment!
By cappecan

I purchased my 2009 Aspen hybrid used with 76K. I've owned it now for around 4 months, and have put 14K on it that short time. In this tine, my Aspen has been an absolute dream to drive and own. Most people who see the hybrid badging ask to see under the hood and are rather shocked when you cruise around on electric power alone. I've had no issues thus far aside from routine oil changes and tire rotations. It snows often where I live, and the AWD system handles wonderfully in the slippery slush.

The Aspen HEV comes fully loaded and includes every feature you could want in a luxury SUV. I was fortunate in my find because my Aspen has the optional "J" package which includes a few extra bonuses such as sun roof, rear heated seats ext... having a tow package is great, as well as the grippy AWD system. Bluetooth is awesome, as well as Sirius sat NAV and TV. The hybrid technology for the time the Aspen was released is rather impressive. Being able to propel a 6,000lb SUV on electric power alone is quite a milestone crossed if you ask me.

The build quality could be better. The styling is too much like the Aspen's counterpart, the Durango hybrid. They look much too similar. It seems Chrysler slapped the Durango and Aspen hybrid into production ASAP to please the market for a hybrid SUV at the time. I've had to glue back on some of the chrome trim here and there, which I guess you have to expect on a 6yr old vehicle. All in all, a great reliable purchase. I would buy another one. Kudos to Chrysler.

Lemon!!
By jweb909

Bought my aspen hybrid used (2nd owner) in end of 2013. Drove it for less than 1000 miles and it started draining the batteries when it was parked. Been in the shop for over 80+++ days and chrysler refuses to take responsibility and own up to its flaws and buy me out of it.
Tried over and over to get it repaired and finally the dealership may have the right part to fix the problem. Really stinks that they only made a handful of these cars, beautiful and very fast, but when they break down no one knows how to fix it. ARRRRgggh! I would never have bought it if I knew how expensive it was to repair it. Lemon car for sure in my book. Anyone else have issues that cost them thousands $$?

Rides beautifully, looks super clean too!!

Chrysler own up to their flaws in this vehicle for starters!!

Love My Aspen
By revbc

I looked at alot of suv and bought a '09 Aspen and I love it.
It runs wonderfully, and its fun to drive.
I'm 6'4" tall and it is very comfortable.
I don't know why Chrysler stop making them.
I don't care what Edmunds says this is a great SUV.
I know the gas mileage is average, but it is a truck.

Mileage is Terrible
By gomer99

Just traded my 2008 Silverado pickup for a more elegant puller for my travel trailer.
Big mistake!
The Aspen is, indeed, elegant, with all the bells and whistles.
And, with a tow rating of 8900 lbs, it outpulls my truck -- and any Suburban or Expedition on the road,
BUT: Mileage empty tops out at 12.5, feather-footing on country roads, and was 7.7 for towing the trailer.
Looks good, but will be dumped for a diesel next week.

Creature Comforts.