Used 2016 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Volt model:

Love my Volt
By Alan

2016 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 1DD)

I have owned 2 volts 2013 and 2016 , the Best car I have ever owned and I have owned at least 25 new autos

Great car & fun to drive, but only when it works..
By Frustrated VoltOwner

2016 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 1DD)

Never ending issues since I purchased brand new. After about a year, three times the car wouldn't start, then finally the dealer changed the battery & it was fine for a while. Lately, about every 2-3 months, the check engine line comes on and I get a diagnostics message that there's something wrong with the emissions system & to get it serviced within a day. Otherwise the car is a lot of fun to drive. Reliability completely sucks - such a time sink, spending so much time taking it to the dealer (while not being given a rental, even though every single time it was covered under warranty) and Chevy doesn't seem to be able to resolve what's wrong with it! I do not recommend, and wish I should have just stuck to a Honda! Oh also a few times I took it in, they told me there was a recall, but I was never notified of the recalls.

Volt review after 19,000 miles
By alster

2016 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 1DD)

Purchased new in July 2016, 2016 Volt Premier. We traded in our 2014 Volt with over 40,000 miles which we purchased in Oct. 2013. Pure electric range right now in summer is 60+ miles, the highest trip just on electric was 77.7 miles from one single charge. We have several thousand miles also just on gas, regular grade 87 octane is all that is required. Overall mpg from voltstats.net ( which monitors miles etc.) is 45.17 mpg from new. Currently summer is high 40's to low 50's mpg just on gas when not using the electric battery or you have run out of electric energy. Overall all combined mpg, (both electric and gas combined) is 149 mpg. What is amazing to me is that the mpg's on gas per EPA is only 42 which is easily obtained sometimes over 10 mpg more. The EPA electric range is 53 which is also easy to exceed. In winter, Northwest coast of Oregon climate, electric range is about 45 miles and gas only mpg's is still mid 40's to high 40's which is close to what my 2010 prius obtains in mpg's in the same time of year. If you can get a base model LT for $28,000 or so with the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit you have a lot of technology for the price and 3 motors, 2 electric and one a 1.5 direct injection gasoline fuel efficient engine. The Volt for the price of a Civic or Corolla hard to resist.....

Green and stylish commuter PHEV car
By Bertman815

2016 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 1DD)

I have owned my Volt (LT trim with leather) for 2 months now and love it. The styling is modern and sleek. You can't be any quieter. Acceleration is good, way better than competition (Prius Prime). Like the regen braking with paddle option. Handling is good, sticks to the ground, very little body roll. I have no range anxiety as I have gas backup that can go another 350 miles. Love having the HOV lane sticker to zoom past traffic. The CA rebates and federal tax credits adding to almost $10K made this a no-brainer. My main complaints are: 1) Low to ground: sometimes I scrape bottom of car if going off a curb ramp or over speed bump too fast, 2) Rear visibility not so good with small rear window and big rear corner pillars, 3) smaller rear seat, OK for small adults and kids, 4) Trunk storage is a little small. Overall, despite the small complaints, I love the car and feel I made the right decision given my daily commute (35 miles each way) compared to other plug-in electric cars like Prius Prime and Nissan Leaf.
Update: Driven the car 13k miles and everything still going great saving gas.
Had first oil change at 10k. Only thing is Android Auto sometimes refuses to connect when plugging in my smartphone to the USB and connecting Bluetooth.

Mark Ray
By Marky Mark

2016 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 1DD)

Very complex car sometime even the mechanic doesn't know how to replace or fix it. Already spent 6500 on maintenance. I do not recommend chevy volt to anyone. Customer support is very poor. Warranty issues very poor. I will never buy domestic car again after such a bad experience with the vehicle.