Used 2016 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Volt model:

Wanted to love the Volt but never felt less safe
By Liz

2016 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

I took the Chevy Volt for a test drive with my daughter, after my son had raved about his test drive. I've driven 3 Toyota hybrids for the past 13 years so admittedly I have a bias toward Toyotas. (Two Prius cars and one Camry hybrid.) I love the idea of the plug-in. I love that you can smoothly go back and forth between electric and gas. Snazzy blue color, cool instrument panel, great sound and climate control systems. However I have never driven a car with worse blind spots. The side views-- forget it. Twice I almost plowed into passing cars because I simply-- could not-- see them in the side view mirrors. The rear view is also blocked. Even the front was hard to see out of! I felt like I was driving half-blind. The car is far less comfortable than any of my Toyotas, and a Prius isn't exactly a luxury drive to begin with. Back seats are cramped-- the middle back seat is just a joke. Maybe you could use it to hold a few books or a single bag of groceries. Turning off the car I honestly couldn't tell if it was still on or off. And the "low fuel" warning had me just terrified. I don't know if my dealer was being stingy or if we were going through the electric charge in some major way, I'm not surprised they have the optional technology to tell you if you're about to hit something on the side or in front of you. Driving this Volt I felt like Mr. Magoo! Could not wait to climb back into my Camry hybrid!!!

REAL WORLD REVIEW FOR 42,000 MILES
By Alster

2016 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

My wife and I purchased our new 2016 Volt Premier in July 2016. We now have over 42,000 miles and nearly 14,000 miles just on gasoline when in hybrid mode, which is referred to as charge sustaining mode. Overall mpg just on gasoline since new has been 48.16 mpg, overall with electric and gas combined is nearly 148 mpg. With a full electric charge in summer range is 60+ miles, in winter 40+ miles. A full electric charge is $1.84 worth of electricity. My wife and I recently went on vacation down the Oregon Coast via Highway 101 to northern California. We left our home with just one full charge of electricity, and never charged during the entire trip. Total trip 775.9 miles, 78.4 on electricity from that one full charge, 53.4 mpg for miles traveled just on gas not counting the 78.4 miles on electricity of course. MPG on gas is calculated by miles driven on gas and gas consumed, not by the gauge that read for the trip 52.5 mpg. Our Volt was fully loaded with the 2 of us and the vehicle weight per Oregon Dept. of Transportation vehicle scale was 4,150 lbs. For comparison we also have a 2010 Prius. The mpg on the Prius is nearly comparable to the mpg on our Volt when operating just on gasoline. Comfort for front passengers is fine, however not for a normal size adult for an extended period of time. The hatchback design gives you plenty of room for my wife and I to pack and still have room left over for anything we wish to take back with us. The Volt runs on 100% electric the gas motor will not start to give you additional propulsion power, which will happen with the Prius Prime, Hyundai Ioniq plug in hybrid, and Honda Clarity, when you operate those vehicles for maximum power. We like our Volt enough to purchase another when the time comes

Love my Volt
By Alan

2016 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have owned 2 volts 2013 and 2016 , the Best car I have ever owned and I have owned at least 25 new autos

Great car & fun to drive, but only when it works..
By Frustrated VoltOwner

2016 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

Never ending issues since I purchased brand new. After about a year, three times the car wouldn't start, then finally the dealer changed the battery & it was fine for a while. Lately, about every 2-3 months, the check engine line comes on and I get a diagnostics message that there's something wrong with the emissions system & to get it serviced within a day. Otherwise the car is a lot of fun to drive. Reliability completely sucks - such a time sink, spending so much time taking it to the dealer (while not being given a rental, even though every single time it was covered under warranty) and Chevy doesn't seem to be able to resolve what's wrong with it! I do not recommend, and wish I should have just stuck to a Honda! Oh also a few times I took it in, they told me there was a recall, but I was never notified of the recalls.

Volt review after 19,000 miles
By alster

2016 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

Purchased new in July 2016, 2016 Volt Premier. We traded in our 2014 Volt with over 40,000 miles which we purchased in Oct. 2013. Pure electric range right now in summer is 60+ miles, the highest trip just on electric was 77.7 miles from one single charge. We have several thousand miles also just on gas, regular grade 87 octane is all that is required. Overall mpg from voltstats.net ( which monitors miles etc.) is 45.17 mpg from new. Currently summer is high 40's to low 50's mpg just on gas when not using the electric battery or you have run out of electric energy. Overall all combined mpg, (both electric and gas combined) is 149 mpg. What is amazing to me is that the mpg's on gas per EPA is only 42 which is easily obtained sometimes over 10 mpg more. The EPA electric range is 53 which is also easy to exceed. In winter, Northwest coast of Oregon climate, electric range is about 45 miles and gas only mpg's is still mid 40's to high 40's which is close to what my 2010 prius obtains in mpg's in the same time of year. If you can get a base model LT for $28,000 or so with the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit you have a lot of technology for the price and 3 motors, 2 electric and one a 1.5 direct injection gasoline fuel efficient engine. The Volt for the price of a Civic or Corolla hard to resist.....