Used 2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (28 reviews )

Love this car, but certain components SUCK
By Miranda

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought a used 2014 in Jan 18'. The car had 43K miles when I purchased. We have put 27k miles on it. My husband used it as his daily driver for a few mos and put most of the miles on it. He hated the car but loved only spending 40$ a month on gas (could charge- stage II charger at work). He is a tall man, said it is the most uncomfortable NON-sports car he's been in. He is in the car industry so I take that with a lot of weight. I am a small woman so it doesn't bug me. We have taken the car on road trips (300 miles) and have driven it for a day while moving out of state (500 miles). It is everything I want! But, in the time owning the car I have had the seal on the oil pan replaced as well as 2 window regulators (both front windows) and have repaired the back hatch latching mechanism myself. I am glad I opted in for the extended warranty!!! It seems the windows on this car are a problem as I was told by A CHEVY SALESMAN! My driver's side window is now making the same noise (AGAIN) that led up to the window dropping (both of the ones I had work done on made this noise as well in the weeks prior, so I am anticipating this window will give out on me again soon.) I got over the large columns that obstruct your view while driving, you just have to look and move your head a bit. I can deal with keeping the car plugged in to warm the interior before I leave. I'd love it if I could convert the windows to ol' crank windows! It is such a basic car, why not? I love my car but this window thing will be the end of this car for me. I am now wary of even buying a newer Volt/Bolt as I have been told this is a problem with these cars. I'd love it if Chevy put the technology into another platform, giving more options.

Great daily commute car
By Sriram

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Happy to feel that i am doing my part to keep the environment clean by not emitting anything from my car.

Nearly Maintenance Free
By Michael

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

45 miles of pure electric range. Excellent all around vehicle.

STILL Love my Volt!
By J R

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The car is great. I commute everyday over 100 miles and only spend 40 bucks a week in gas. Over 140000 miles and still going. Only one repair besides tires. Had problems with a window. But that was it.

So many flaws
By Andy

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Where do I begin? Well for the pros: It's got great fuel economy, great acceleration, detailed results on fuel economy, great cargo space, and gets me from point A to point B...but with many problems. The cons: 1) the interior design is incredibly lacking, especially when it comes to visibility. The side airbags by the front driver and passenger side windshield obstruct the view so much, that you have to constantly lean in and back just to see if anyone or anything is there before proceeding. I've had many instances where I've almost hit a person because of that thick obstruction. 2) the transmission can't just start, you have to start up the entire car just to get your controls working or wanting to charge your phone, access the radio, climate, etc. All those instruments (except the climate) can work without having the car run if you start up the car and turn it off, which is just an extra unnecessary step. Plus, with the car off and the instruments running, it only runs for a couple minutes until it completely powers down, which makes you start it up again, turn it off, and do the task you want. 3) The touchscreen isn't very responsive and sometimes requires more than one press of a single button to get a task running, which completely freaks out the entire system. I've had my car brought in for servicing, updated, maintained and whatnot, and still does the same. and 4) The most annoying part of this car which I see as a severe flaw in design is the key fob. The car is keyless entry and detects when the key is near to get going. Now, if the key can't be detected, no worries! You have a backup physical key which can unlock the doors, and a strangely placed keyhole in the center of the dash to start your car. But wait, there are many worries. You would think the point of a physical backup would get the job done. Instead, THE CAR STILL NEEDS TO DETECT THE SIGNAL OF THE KEY. What's the point of a physical backup if a signal is still needed to start you car or prevent the alarms from going off?! The backup should be used when the battery within the key has died, not to make an unnecessary two step process!!! It seems that when the key fob is too cold, it just stops working, but as soon as it's heated up again, it detects its signal. I've looked this up on many forums and even reset my car, but nothing has fixed it. This car could've been a great car, but Chevy definitely missed some key backup and safety points (pun intended) that overcomes a lot of the greatness behind driving the car.