Used 2010 Chevrolet Traverse SUV Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet Traverse SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

bittersweet driveway ornament
By Dustin

2010 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

These things are prone to all kinds of engine malfunctions. Mine has been in and out of the shop since I bought it. The interior is nice and roomy, very comfortable. It's a pleasure to drive, when it's running. I've had to put so much money into this pos that it's currently sitting in my driveway with a whole side of the engine misfiring, so it's not driveable and I'm out of money that can be spent on it. A total waste.

Timing chain, steering, A/C, etc
By Jerry

2010 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car new and had it serviced by the dealer for at least 60K miles. The functionality of the car was great for my circumstances, and the performance and creature comforts were satisfactory. Then the AC had to be repaired which required removal of the dashboard. Hence a costly repair, but dealer's estimate was outrageous. I had it fixed elsewhere for 60% of that estimate which was still nearly $2K. Then I continued prescribed maintenance at a non-dealer. Then leaking struts and broken spring had to be replaced. Now, at 110,000 miles, the timing chain needs replacement ($3,500) which I see from recent research is a very common problem for this version of the Traverse. Also, the power steering failed (while making a turn). Thank goodness I was driving and not my wife! This apparently is also a frequent problem with this car. It needs new rack and pinion as well as replacement of the leaking steering fluid pump. Having owned many cars of various brands over 50+ years, this is the worst by far. If I were asked for an opinion, I would say DO NOT buy a used Traverse.

Your playing roullete buying this used car
By Michael

2010 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car brand new back in 2010. Serviced it regularly and had many problems. Problem 1- Power Steering went out on this car after owning for 4 years. Problem 2 - Transmission had to be replaced exactly one year later from power steering issue. Problem 3 - Engine is ruined due to timing chain. (You can look and research it). I now own a rock on 4 wheels worth zero dollars. I cannot speak for other years on this model, but I know for certain that if you buy this specific vehicle you are playing roulette with your hard earned money. STAY AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE! DO NOT BUY IT! Go find another SUV with a more reliability.

Not very reliable
By Dave S.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought it used at 99,0000, and it had been well maintained. Power window switches failed, power mirror switch failed, A/C refrigerant leaked twice, the odometer display partially failed so it could only be read at night, driver's door speaker failed, and at 170,000 miles the dreaded P0008 code that usually means the timing chains are worn reared its ugly head. Lots of Traverses have timing chain problems, no matter how religiously you stay on top of checking the oil and changing it regularly. I guess this one was long lived by Traverse standards, but the electrical problems were getting frustrating and the timing chains were beyond economical repair. Too bad, GM, it doesn't look good when my other car, a 41 year old MG with the notorious Lucas electrical system is has had fewer problems in the 15 years I've owned it than an 8 year old Chevy has in only 4 years.

2010 Chevy Traverse Timing Chain ISSUES
By Bob McMonagle

2010 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2010 Traverse that was purchased brand new by my parents from Chevy dealership. We bought the car from them after passing of my father. We have 88,000 miles on the vehicle and it has been very well maintained with all of the proper oil changes. Low and behold check engine light comes on and my mechanic tells me the Codes P0008 and P0017 are due to Timing Chain needing to be replaced. He was amazed that it was needed with 88,000 miles. He sent over links about the issues that are known about this 3.6 L engine with both Acadia and Traverse. He said it would have to go to dealer and we would be looking at a cost of about $3500.00. As I research this issue it seems that this is a known issue and I see that the Acadia owners are receiving letters extending their warranty to 10 years/120,000 miles. I call the dealer...NO GO. I call GM...sorry NO GO. They questioned me on whether or not my mechanic was doing the 172 point check when I bring it in to him.....like that is the reason the Timing Chain went at 88,0000 miles.