Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Traverse for Sale
Select your model:
12345...17

Pros
Cons

Horrible 2009 Traverse

aburgener, 10/06/2014

We have had the Traverse for about 2 years and just on Friday I was driving down a 4 lane highway and it didn't want to shift. Barely, made it home alive and took it to the auto center. They informed me they would not work on it because it would happen again and so when I tried to move it, it would not go in reverse. We have had problems with the power steering and 3 recalls on it. Something is wrong with the 2009 version of this car. My brother had the same problem and when we were at the repair shop the owner said his sister had the same problem. We are getting another estimate because the first one said it was the transmission... if you have money for lots of repair go for it.

Steering Shaft defect

mngirl, 03/28/2013

Currently there is 51K on my Traverse. I do like it, it fits our family of five perfectly with room to spare. I didn't give the review 5 stars simply because there is always room for improvement. That said, I had a major problem with my steering column recently. While driving the vehicle, I suddenly and with no warning had no control of my tires - zero steering! When the vehicle was hauled to the shop, I was told that the steering shaft was completely dismembered and fell "out of place". Hmm....has this happened to anyone before?

Transmission Failed!

Amin Khan, 09/18/2015
LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Be aware and stay away. A quick internet search will tell the whole story. My transmission is shot, broken,kaput! Constant water leaks, Squeky steering Dead battery, no explanation passenger seat belt light comes on without warning Drinks gas

many many issues

nomoregm4me3, 05/01/2014

we have own the traverse since its release. we have had timing chain issues, transmission issues, A/C issues, and power steering issues. keep an extended warranty or get ready to fork over some cash for poor design, and poor workmanship.

Ridiculous piece of trash

sherrypisces, 10/22/2014
LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Traverse used last year and it was exactly what I wanted and needed for my family. Well, from the beginning I had problems with the car. I was experiencing a stalling type of drive. I would be driving along and all of a sudden the car would jerk and go extremely slow almost killing myself and my family. At times the vehicle would jerk and lose all power and shut off in the middle of the highway, street, anywhere! I have put so much money into this vehicle that I am embarrassed to say. I don't know what to do or who to contact because this is not a safe vehicle. Do Not, I repeat, Do Not purchase the 2009 Chevy Traverse EVER!

Driving Machine.

Susan Grace Rice., 01/21/2016
LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

its a great vehicle, runs very good, rides smooth, and an all around great vehicle to have. with dogs, kids and just all around family its a great car to travel and go places and it holds a good amount of people, if i had to get a new one i would get another traverse,lt1. with leather this time for inside seats, and heated ones, would like to have a navigation in it, and side view mirrors with navigation on the mirrors for helping you stay in the lanes,[non-permissible content removed] .

My New Car - Love it

Sherri , 10/21/2008

This car is quiet and fun to drive. I love the DVD system with the wireless headphones for the kids. The interior space is not much smaller than my Ford Expedition that I traded in. I actually have more cargo room while all 7 seats are up than before.

Transmission repair at 117k miles... and others!

asianteacher, 12/27/2014
LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am displeased. Our Traverse has been a vehicle that we brought to the dealership most because of recalls, back jobs, and now a shot transmission at just 117k (min $1,500, max 3k+ repair cost)? Our other cars certainly did better! I usually don't complain but we are not happy. I found out that this transmission problem is a common issue, I don't understand why it isn't a recall! We bought this because Americans help Americans especially in GM's dark times. But now we realized, who's going to help us now? We don't have the budget for this now, so our Traverse is sitting in the garage. If you insist in getting this, get an extended warranty. Update: Recall for the transmission finally came. But, we have already spent and not qualified for a reimburse. Since then, we have been having problems with the electrical system. Side mirror controls would not work. The cowl cover is now loose and I do not understand why. Side windows control is not working anymore. Rear passenger speakers connection is busted. It has been like this for more than a year already and we did not have it fixed yet as we do not have the budget for it. Disappointed. The dealership called us recently offering to buy back our Traverse so we can buy a new one. My wife replied, "No Way, this car is almost like rebuilt. We are not getting a new one that needs so much rebuilding and fixing again!" My Subaru which is 5 years older, on the other hand, is in perfect condition. Not much maintenance trouble so far. The only biggest expense incurred so far was a timing belt change.

2009 Transmission Wave Spring Defect

E, 08/09/2017
LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Chevy built certain 2009 Chevy Traverse SUV's with Wave Springs that breaks and destroy the transmission. They have issued an extended warranty up to 10 years or 120k miles. If you exceed the term of the warranty they will not assist you in any way. Even with a known defect Chevrolet does not stand buy its products. The mileage on the 2009 traverse is poor. I am getting 17.4 MPG. I never came close to the advertised MPG.

Traverse is junk !

Chris Robinson, 10/11/2010

For the past 6 mos, have had nothing but trouble. First the dealer said nothing was wrong. When check engine light came on, they had my car for 3 weeks straight. Then timing chain problem turned into transmission problems. Now, you cant accelerate quickly because the tires spin. So much for traction control. the dealer has replaced the software in my transmission 3-4 times now. i would NOT recommend this garbage of a vehicle to anyone. It's no wonder GM went bankrupt, because their customer service really blows. I have spoken to GM numerous times about these issues, but they don't seem to care. Looks like my GM buying days are over.

12345...17