Used 2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Very poorly made car
By Nick

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Just buy a foreign made car. This thing is garbage. Nothing but issues. Bought at 26000 miles, put $3000+ into it....and that with me fixing the issues! Needed new alternator, belt, 2 thermostats and sensors as well as new coil pack and spark plugs. All within 1 year and 15000 miles?!?! I had a Honda prior to this car and it rarely needed any repairs and was very reliable. This thing has very poor acceleration, shifts very hard, and breaks down every month.

Great mileage, poor electronics
By Nate

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

In my 3 plus years of owning this vehicle, I have had issues with the electronics. First of all, the odometer quit working, so now I have no idea how many miles my car has on it. Then, my radio decided it would start turning on and off by itself. The gas mileage is good, and the interior is somewhat comfortable. Just poor electronics.

110,000 miles and going strong
By Joe

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the sonic LTZ in early 2014. Since then the only thing it went in the shop for was a minor coolant leak at the thermostat housing.(covered under warranty of course) We have had one other problem and that was with the OEM battery. All new car batteries are of low quality. This one was no different, it developed a bad cell at around 32,000 miles. It was rated a 3 year battery and became problematic at the middle of the second year. But that's it! No problems since, not even a flat tire. The ride is surprisingly comfortable. All our compact cars were always a compromise in ride vs MPG. The Sonic is the only exception so far. The mpg is not as good as I would like. However the power delivered is great, and there is the trade off I guess. Overall one of the best car purchases we have made in a long while and are happy to have an American brand finally deliver what we expect.

Update: After passing 125,000 I have only one issue that really shouldn't have been. The aluminum oil pan drain plug threads came apart. There was only one time that the oil was changed by a shop. I have done all the other changes using a torque meter set to 14nm. Even if the shop over torqued those threads it should have never came apart that easily. Replacement is rather costly and made much harder by lack of a gasket system rather than silicone bead. This problem is eliminated by aftermarket replacement pans as they add a steel insert into the pan and eliminate the stainless thread insert. Should have been done this way in the first place. Other than a battery replacement and now a timing belt maintenance replacement I haven't had any problems. I will be doing these repairs myself saving hundreds of dollars. This car has been a very good purchase. Still getting 35 on the highway and 27 or so mixed driving.

Soft, warm, and comfortable.
By Ron Wichern

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

TURBO ENGINE IS GOOD FOR BOTH POWER AND MPG. CAR IS VERY SMOOTH,

A Certified P.O.S.
By Pissed Off Sonic Owner

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the car new as a commuter back in 2014. Over the last 3 years, the quality of the vehicle has definitely shown. I've had issues with the ABS system, the Traction control (which are both known issues with newer GM models due to speed sensor placement). I've had a replaced o2 sensor at roughly 30k miles, the passenger door lock plastic fell off at roughly 25k miles...and the gas mileage doesn't get anywhere near the sticker (unless I guess if you never get it above 2k rpm).
The car only has 49k on it now, and at this rate I don't anticipate it lasting to 100k or beyond. My experience to date is that the RS model was an overpriced piece of plastic with leather bucket heated seats (and the value pretty much verifies that, KBB has gone from the sticker 22k, to roughly 5-6k on a trade in, in 3 years). Will definitely be the first and last chevy that I ever own, for the same price you could get a used Infiniti Q series (comparing to buying this new) that has more power and better lasting quality than this P.O.S.