Used 2013 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Chevy mistake
By Cece Tinney

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Chevy now for 3 years going on 4 because unfortunately, I haven’t had the extra money to get rid of the piece of junk. The ONLY good thing about the car is the fuel efficacy other than that it is a cheaply made car buyer beware. Also, Chevy’s warranty on their products is ridiculous. The entire car is made of cheap dollar store plastic and does not stand the test of time which cars should.

My 2013 sonic
By J Brandow

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

It’s not a BMW, people, it’s an economy car! For an economy car i couldn’t be happier. My daughter and I drove ours 2000 miles in 5 days. I was amazed at how it handled at 80 mph, got 32highway mpg (it’s a ‘13). I’m 6’2 and had plenty of leg and cabin room. Turbo excellerates very well, lots of power, never felt cramped or restless at all. Love the fact that it fits anywhwere, moves around everything with ease, and a great “zipping around town” car. We have harsh winters, so a couple of sandbags hidden in the spare tire compartment helped a ton. Overall damn good car.

Very poorly made car
By Nick

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Just buy a foreign made car. This thing is garbage. Nothing but issues. Bought at 26000 miles, put $3000+ into it....and that with me fixing the issues! Needed new alternator, belt, 2 thermostats and sensors as well as new coil pack and spark plugs. All within 1 year and 15000 miles?!?! I had a Honda prior to this car and it rarely needed any repairs and was very reliable. This thing has very poor acceleration, shifts very hard, and breaks down every month.

Great mileage, poor electronics
By Nate

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

In my 3 plus years of owning this vehicle, I have had issues with the electronics. First of all, the odometer quit working, so now I have no idea how many miles my car has on it. Then, my radio decided it would start turning on and off by itself. The gas mileage is good, and the interior is somewhat comfortable. Just poor electronics.

Very Fun to Drive
By B2653

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

When the vehicle is fully up and running, it is a very good car. It is very comfortable for long road trips. It does not feel like a sub-compact. The fuel efficiency is very good. I am able to get 44-45mpg on the highway (clear day with a temperature of 60F, E87 gas, 65-70mph, oil level at halfway mark on dipstick), 23-25mph in heavy stop and go traffic, and 27-31mpg in the city. The acceleration is very good and very responsive. The suspension and the handling are very good on this vehicle. I am able to stick to the road on very hard turns. The steering is very responsive. The stock tires were not very good in the snow. The car has a lot of useful features. This car is very fun to drive if there are a lot of turns.

The repairs that I had to do was replace a hose in the ac line (hole), air cleaner intake outlet duct (ripped in two locations), thermostat (stuck open), valve cover gasket (engine was overfilled and blew it), blower motor (squeaking), spark plugs (misfire), purge valve (very loud), and the map sensor (some error code). This is one car that it would be better to change the oil yourself. The person who changed the oil on my sonic overfilled it by 2L and I blew the valve cover because of it. If I did not replace the air cleaner intake outlet duct right away, then I would be having performance issues in the winter and also wear the catalytic converter faster. This car would have minimal repairs if it is maintained properly (unless very unlucky).