Used 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Most attractive truck in it's class!!
By Jon Oldens

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Custom 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

First off my package was not listed here. I have the Custom which comes with extended cab 4x4 5.3 6spd. If it was not for the sloppy transmission, I would have rated this truck a 5 star. I had owned a 2010 Silverado LS 4.8 4x4 prior and loved the truck besides the lack of power and gears on the highway. I live in western Pennsylvania, so both are a must to power through hilly roads. Power is excellent 300 ft/lb torque at 2k rpm and has great passing power when asked during my trips to pittsburgh route 28. WIth the custom package you get the color matched bumpers which I personally feel is the most attractive option. Just aesthetically pleasing. You also get the 20 inch chrome clad wheels larger radio screen, auto lock heavy duty rear-end also improved towing capacity 9200lbs, trans cooler etc. Read the options carefully before purchase. i did not know until I signed the paperwork that the truck does not come with key-less entry(lol). Standard in just about anything you purchase these days. This was easily remedied with an aftermarket remote start start. Back to the shifting issues. Most noticeable during in town driving. the transmission just doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. Real sloppy slowing down then accelerating. From what I read the dealerships are blaiming the adaptive transmission and stating that it should learn it self smooth. Not the case after 5k of driving mine. You have to be the one to adapt with throttle position. The other option is to put it into tow mode which will hang on to the gears longer. If it bothers you enough there is available in the aftermarket controllers that can tune the transmission shift-points. Over-all I am very pleased with the truck. It's comfortable enough for a daily driver and more then capable for hauling. I had towed a car and hauled 4k lbs worth of retaining wall block and she handled it effortlessly. My average fuel economy has been an honest 20mpg. I life 20 miles north of pittsburgh and work in the city so if you are familiar with the area there is a lot of highway and a lot of stop and go traffic. I had also driven the truck to South Carolina, I averaged 22mpg. Aside from the significantly improved power, MPG and styling the truck comes with an armrest compartment and eyeglass holder, which seems silly but big deal for me. Over-all excellent truck!!

Too much for what you get
By Jimmy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

My biggest beef is the lag at what appears to be 1st to 2nd. It is dramatic. When I want acceleration I want it immediately, not in the full second it takes this truck to decide if I am serious or not. More often than not I end up sending the RPMs into 5 or 6 thousand as it finally kicks in. It is probably going to result in a blown gasket at just the wrong time. I wish the dealership did not try to screw me so bad on the crew cab. I would have like that rather than the double or full-size or whatever the term is. But another $7K was just not worth it. As it is I paid $43K new. I already have 65K miles. It is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. The displays for the dash are not user friendly. You have to flip through multiple useless screens on multiple setting to find what you are looking for.....confusing. No GPS navigation was surprising. All that tech and no GPS available. Almost made me walk. I say now that I will not buy another Silverado, but if they fix these issues, then maybe I will look at them again.

2016 bought used with 6000 miles on it
By Kenny

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab LTZ 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

So, I went from a 1999 that I bought new in 99, to a 2016. Without question the 2016 is quieter, more responsive and more comfortable. And mine does not shake. There is a lot I like about my new truck BUT, It does feel big compared to my 99 and it's so responsive in the steering that you just sneeze and your going in a different direction. Also, I can't seem to do better then 11 MPG and It's a 2WD. That, and I liked the storage, especially the overhead, better in my 99. With that said, I'm happy with my new Silverado. Great looks, comfort and the MyLink system is very cool. I also think that the 16 sits much better than the 14-15 model.

Marc's review
By Marc N

A lot of truck for the price

Love this truck
By Chris Becker

I've owned the LT 5.3L V8, 4WD double cab, Z71 edition now for 10,500 miles and love everything about it. It looks great, drives great, pulls my 7x14 trailer just fine, and handles everything I've needed it to do. I enjoy the product and the confidence that comes with it. Very happy.