Skip to main content

List Price Range

Used Silverado 1500 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

19 Mpg in city!

Dave S., 09/21/2016
updated 10/17/2022
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 4dr Double Cab SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

This truck is not in Edmunds model description. I went from a 1998 Saturn "great car", to a Chevy Silverado 2 WD, WT extended cab with a V8. I had been spoiled with 34 mpg in the city and 42 mpg highway, for almost 19 years. With the first fill up of gas in this truck I averaged almost 19 mpg city driving. I'm very impressed with the truck so far. It is very quite, has plenty of power, and looks like it will get almost 2 times the mpg of my previous 83" Chevy pickup. But, with only 300 miles on it, I can't tell you much. I'll let you know in 19 years what I think ;) I had a hard time finding this truck. It seems like most trucks are loaded, 4 WD with 6 cylinders. For 1 mpg difference why buy a 6 cylinder? I really wanted to buy a extended cab with a 8' bed, but GM doesn't sell it in the 1500 trucks. I looked at the 2500's until I saw how bad the Mpg was! 6 Months in, and 4,000 miles. I'm averaging 15 - 17 Mpg in city. I've been making her work hard. Remodeled 2 houses since I got this truck. Average homeowner doesn't need the 8' bed. Heck I'm managing without! Many 1500# + loads. Several trips with16' beams with a tailgate extender and well flagged!! With tailgate down you can bring home 10' items pretty easily. Just brought home some (.25") 4" x 10" x 10' Steel Rectangular Tube, just flagged it! 18 month review. I have almost 11,000 miles. Still getting 15 - 17 in the city. Truck's running great. Remodeled another house, major repairs. In hind site, I should have bought a standard cab with an 8' box. My kids are old enough to both have their own cars and I only use the back seats once a month on average. Not worth the extra $9,000 or so extra for the back seats. Also an 8' box would have come in handy MANY times! I've pushed the loads accidentally over 2,000 #'s a few times. The trucks tires don't like it, best description would be wallowing like a boat!! But the the brakes and motor don't care! The suspension was not bottomed out so I ASSUMED I was still in the weight range. I wish GM would work on the mpg on the super duty trucks!!! I still love this truck! 24 Month review. 14,000 Miles. In the city this truck is still averaging 15.5 - 16.5 Mpg! I still love this truck. One round trip from Rochester Hills MI, to Caro MI. I didn't take the freeway, just a relaxing drive up M-24. 130 mile round trip, truck averaged 27.5 Mpg. Awesome! 2nd Trip from Rochester Hills, to Grayling MI, Averaged 72 mph on "75". I drove around in Grayling and surrounding areas also. When I got home I checked my mileage again. Averaged 24.3 Mpg for 525 mile round trip! This truck with the longer wheel base rides very smoothly on the freeway's. I have a Tonneau cover on the truck, so I'm sure that helps with the mileage. I still can't believe this truck can get those kinds of #'s. Great purchase. But, still wish I had just bought the standard cab. I rarely need the extended cab! 30 Months in. 16,000 miles. Truck is still running GREAT, and averaging 16+ miles per gallon in the city. Does decent in the snow. 48 Month review. 24,000 miles. At 80 mph mileage will suffer. I recently drove up north for a vacation at higher speeds and mileage dropped to 19. On the way back drove at around 72 and again averaged 25 mpg. I still can't believe a truck can get this good of mileage. I also own a 2008 Chevy impala and this car doesn't get as good mileage as the truck at highway speeds! The truck is still working GREAT, and I'm very happy for the purchase! 5 Year review. Last winter the sensors on the tire pressure went haywire. But, as soon as the temp's came back up it went back to normal. And that's the reason I don't buy LOADED vehicles. If you only plan to own a vehicle for 3 years it doesn't matter. But if you plan to own a car for 10+ years like I do, it DOES. Truck is pushing on 27K miles. I drove almost zilch during covid-19. I'm still getting 16 or so Mpg in city and 25 Mpg on the highway as long as I drive under 72. Still a great purchase. No maintenance needed yet, just oil changes. Though I plan to buy a new battery soon. 6 Year review. I needed 2 new front tires at 35K. And will need two more next summer. I put light truck tires on the rear for a stiffer ride "increased payload capacity on tires", when carrying a heavy load. It was a good decision. The truck now has 35,000 miles. I build a small truck bed camper weighing 600#'s and am carrying a dirt bike on a carrier on the trailer hitch. I figure I'm at 92% of rear axle payload limit. And at about 6,650 total payload weight of truck with 7,000 GVWR. So, I'm pushing the truck! Did 2 trips this year to Grayling, MI area. 400-mile round trips each. Drove at 66 mph and averaged 17 Mpg. Impressive. Truck handled it just fine and I was surprised the rear didn't sink too much. I took it easy on the brakes and gas pedal and the transmission temp never went above 198, which is at top of normal driving range. I with the dealer gave more info in the manual about temps. Still a great purchase!

Also Consider
5 Offers Near Ashburn, VA
Check out current offers on the Chevy Silverado 1500
View Offers
Chevrolet.com
*The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price excludes destination freight charge, tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. Click here to see all Chevrolet vehicles' destination freight charges.

Extremely pleased with Silverado LTZ

Tom, 12/21/2016
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

We traded in a 2016 Toyota Tacoma off road double cab for a 2016 Silverado LTZ. The LTZ has the 6.2L and 8 spd tranny. The Silverado get's better fuel mileage, more comfortable and is hands down a better truck than the Toyota. My family loves the cabin space, the layout, comfort and I like the smooth 6.2l and 8spd tranny combo. I've had the truck 3 weeks and have 2,500 miles on it and I'm impressed with the MPG's! Sub-zero temperatures and I'm getting 19mpg on the highway- better than my Tacoma ever did!

3 out of 5 stars

Comfortable!!

E Morris, 12/07/2016
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Double Cab SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Great ride. Little road noise. Have to have running boards unless you are tall. Changing radio stations does lag, though.

2016 bought used with 6000 miles on it

Kenny, 12/10/2017
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

So, I went from a 1999 that I bought new in 99, to a 2016. Without question the 2016 is quieter, more responsive and more comfortable. And mine does not shake. There is a lot I like about my new truck BUT, It does feel big compared to my 99 and it's so responsive in the steering that you just sneeze and your going in a different direction. Also, I can't seem to do better then 11 MPG and It's a 2WD. That, and I liked the storage, especially the overhead, better in my 99. With that said, I'm happy with my new Silverado. Great looks, comfort and the MyLink system is very cool. I also think that the 16 sits much better than the 14-15 model.

5 out of 5 stars

Good gas milage and no problems

Martin Lewis, 05/26/2016
updated 06/13/2022
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

I now have over 74,000 miles on this truck. My over all average is 22.4 MPG. I do mostly highway, and use the cruise control at the speed limit. The V8 transition to V4 is seemless, I am happy with this truck! The only repair needed was a windshield washer pump replacement that was done under warranty at no cost to me.I like the power of the 5.3 V8. It pulls my car hauler with a 5500 pound skid steer with ease.