Used 2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Equinox for Sale
Select your model:
12345...23

Pros
Cons

2018 Transmission failed after 3 months

Melissa, 11/30/2017
LT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my 2018 equinox for 3 months, and I loved it until 2 days ago when the transmission failed. The part is back-ordered, so obviously this is happening to other people. The dealership says it could be 2 days or 2 weeks.... and they don't have a loaner car. I'm pissed.

working as designed- NOT

Joe p, 03/17/2018
LT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Customer Care at General Motors explained to me my 2018 Equinox is "working as designed" because they were no computer code errors. I guess that means the car is DESIGNED to shake/ shimmy/ vibrate at low & steady speeds. Test drive yours carefully. This Equinox replaced a 2013 Equinox that I never had a mechanical problem with. Dealer service manager said the 2018 transmission design shifted a lot more than the earlier one. OK with shifting- NOT HAPPY with the shake/ shimmy! Service writer said his tech thought the problem would iron out by 3,000 miles- NOPE. (9/19 update) The dealer contacted me several weeks ago and said the MAY have a fix. They did some tinkering and although the problem was slightly improved they admitted they still had issues and started a new TAC with GM. Told me I would be contacted in a few days and not be left hanging. Well- no contact and still hanging.

Can't Recommend.. engine died @ 1,400 miles

Mark Dyviniak, 12/29/2017
LT 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a new 2018 Equinox as my wife liked the 2010 Equinox that she drove (even though we had a lot of oil consumption issues with that vehicle). Being a loyal GM customer, went ahead and purchased a new 2018 Equinox. Rather than turn in the 2010 Equinox as a trade-in vehicle, decided to keep it for our college-bound daughter. Back to the 2018 Equinox purchase decision, since several years had passed and the vehicle had been completely redesigned, figured that all engine issues had been fixed. Unfortunately, no! With only 1,400 miles on the odometer, vehicle completely died as we were on the highway driving to a family reunion. Once the vehicle was examined by the dealership, they informed us that it needed a new engine (under warranty, of course). Couldn't believe it. That was the first of two factors that turned our GM loyalty upside down. The second factor occurred a month later.. the engine on the 2010 Equinox failed. That vehicle only had 45K miles on it. Because the vehicle was 8 years old, however, GM advised us that we would have to cover 80% of the $7,500 engine replacement cost. Shocked, I challenged that all the way up the GM chain. Reminded them of our two decades long GM loyalty. At the time, had 3 Chevrolets in the garage .. and each of them were not old, low-value vehicles. In fact, in the past 8 years we had purchased 3 brand new Chevrolets (model years 2010, 2015, 2018). GM didn't care. As such, determined that we were done with GM. Will not remain loyal to a company that significantly fails at producine a quality product (no car should need a new engine @ 45,000 miles, let alone 1,400 miles) and a company who doesn't take care of loyal customers when an issue comes up. Loyalty is earned .. which it appears GM doesn't get. As such, with our experience, cannot recommend the (2010 or) 2018 Equinox. **UPDATE: Sept 2020** Sold the 2018 Equinox. Replaced it with a 2019 Ford Edge. So far, the Ford is proving to be a much more reliable and better performing vehicle, although we still need more time to be assured of that. **UPDATE: March 2021** The Ford Edge has been such a better vehicle than the Equinox. It provides better performance and have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. Looking like Ford will now have our business.

I love my new Equinox

Adam Woodworth, 07/14/2018
Premier 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

If your going to buy the new Equinox I highly recommend upgrading to the 2.0 Liter with the 9 speed transmission in it. I have owned several models through the years and the smaller motors are awful in the snow and on the highway. I just traded in my 2016 for the 2018 Premier 2.0 Liter AWD with the 9 speed transmission in it. The car has all the bells and whistles in it. I love the lane assist in the car. It drives and rides like a Cadillac. I love the leather and the seats have the fans in them. The 19" hankook tires make all the difference in the ride and handling. I love the built in towing package as well. I just got back from a trip out west and it was a great time. My family and I all had a blast and the car was the cherry on the top.

Fuel economy versus fuel cost

MWK, 10/30/2017
Premier 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

In general, we like the car. I hope we like the front seats on a long trip as they seem a little hard and the bottom seat cushions are short. My biggest issue is the recommendation to use 93 octane fuel in our 2.0 Turbo, which came as a surprise to me after the purchase. In our area, we can't get 93 octane fuel, which is a common issue in much of the U.S. We can get 91 octane, but is costs $.50 more a gallon than regular 87 octane fuel. Thus, the fuel savings of the 4 cylinder engine are offset by the higher cost of the fuel. UPDATE: Drove 500+ miles today, and seats were very comfortable. Mileage by computer was 29.7, but manual calculation was a little less. Today in Wisconsin, we saw 91 octane fuel priced $.90 higher than 87 octane fuel. 1-21-21 Update 49,000 miles driven. I like the vehicle as it is easy to get in and out, has good visibility, good build quality, few mechanical issues, is a very nice size for city driving yet is very comfortable and good to drive on a long trip (600 miles + per day), good room inside for a smaller vehicle, and has a very good performing drive train (2.0 Turbo). However, Chevy did cut several corners and could have done a better job in many areas. For example, the Equinox can have any one of 3 headlights bulb systems depending on the trim level, and none of them work all that well.

12345...23