2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Don't waste your money or time
By Jamie Carlton

2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

New 2018 Equinox. Service visits starting at 6500 miles. Bad intercooler, bad ECM, bad Mass AirFlow Sensor. Now on it's 5th repair visit and nobody knows what's going on. At 9000 miles now. They just don't make vehicles like they use to. They want more money for less dependability.

Chevy Settles for the Field Goal-Again
By Bill G

2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife and I are both tall and large so our choices in vehicles has much to do with ingress, egress and do we fit. Our previous SUV, a 2015 Equinox had been a very good vehicle, even surviving two accidents involving fairly major front end damage without developing a single squeak or rattle. Also, in 33k miles the only unscheduled service was to repair a sticky door lock switch. The 2.4L 4 cylinder was adequate, delivered 28-30 MPG highway but just 21 MPG around our small town. When our lease was up, we decided on another AWD Equinox LT with the base 1.4L turbo 4 clay and 6 speed auto. My review is based on 5,100 miles and six months of ownership. Improvements over the previous generation are many.Much better outward visibility and sight lines enhanced by the blind spot monitoring system. Nearly perfect control and display layout. GM kicks butt in this area of this design. Better sound system. Much better climate control system. Better steering feel and a tighter turning circle. Bigger, better side mirrors. Great brakes. The power lift tailgate. The small turbo 4 has very good low end power and is generally up to the task. However the auto stop system for the engine is very annoying if you are driving in stop and go traffic. Luckily, it is easy to defeat- just put the shift control in manual and select 6th gear. The transaxle will still function in fully automatic mode but the engine will not shut off. So far we are seeing 25 MPG around town but just 28 MPG on the highway. The biggest issue with the small 1.4L engine is its lack of top end power! No guts at all above 5,000 RPM which makes passing at highway speeds take a LONG time. If you drive on interstates most of the time, opt for the 2.0L , no wait, bad idea since it will raise the price by several thousand dollars and the Equinox is in no way worth that much money. My biggest complaints are the seats and the reductions in interior space! The front seats are way too small, especially the lower seat cushion. No thigh support at all. Also, there is about 2 inches less leg room than the 2015 which is a big deal to anyone over 6 feet tall. The back passengers get less room too. Worst of all, the rear seat no longer adjusts. In out 2015, I moved the back seat forward and could haul my wife’s wheelchair without folding the seat backs. The 2018 requires the rear seats to be folded flat to fit a wheelchair thereby making it a two passenger SUV. WHY did GM reduce the interior length while not reducing the overall length of the SUV. Stupid. Our particular Equinox is one of a group delivered with infotainment displays which do not respond to the dash light dimmer properly. The display is always super bright, blinding the driver at night! I complained to Chevy via their Facebook page and was finally directed back to my dealer for a software update. The update allows the infotainment display to dim about 50 percent. Better, but it is still too bright on dark, rainy nights and is a real safety issue. We have also experienced some issues with the engine stumbling and making odd vibrations from time to time. Also, the drivers side front suspension makes loud booming noises from time to time and the car pulls to the left all the time. So far the dealer service department can’t find any issues. I’m betting the upper strut bearing is defective and will fail before it hits 10K.

Pretty stiff ride.
By Bob

2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Overall the 2018 Equinox I leased is great in some things and poor in others. I don't like the front seats. They are hard and too small and I am not a large person. I had leased a 2015 Equinox. The ride and comfort of that car was way above that of the 2018. I"ve had cars for over 55 years and everyone of them have been a Chevy except for when they still made the Oldsmobile. I will have to rethink my options when it comes time to lease a new car. I think it will be a change in brand.

Great Car
By Mark

2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Premier 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a great vehicle. Rides like a car not a truck. Good MPG, good value for the money. Took the vehicle on a road trip and preformed excellent. The industry is going to the start stop engine and it takes some getting use to, but no problems at all with the operation of the system. The technology in the vehicle is wonderful, Chevy hit a home run with this vehicle

Words can express my level of hatred!
By Catherine

2018 Chevrolet Equinox SUV L 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Traded in my 2013 Ford Explorer for a 2018 equinox and I have never regretted anything more. This car is not comfortable to drive or ride in and the seats are hard and too skinny. Had it for 10 months now and every time I drive below 15 mph it starts jerking and acting like it wants to stall out. Not sure if this has to do with the auto stop, which I also hate, but guess I will be putting my less than a year old car in the shop now. Biggest POS ever and I can't wait to get rid of it. Do not buy this car!