2018 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Love the Diesel
By JK

2018 Chevrolet Equinox Premier 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We wanted to add an extra car that we could take on longer trips and haul 4 people with luggage. We originally looked at sedans. Then we saw that Chevrolet was offering an Equinox with a diesel engine. I've been a diesel fan since we lived in Europe 20 years ago. Once we saw the Premier version of the Equinox and the estimated fuel economy, we were sold. We've had the vehicle for 10 months. It's been to Florida once and several 400+ mile trips. The fit and finish are excellent. It's comfortable for long trips. The panoramic sun roof is outstanding. Acceleration off the line is OK but I tend to feather the throttle a bit to help fuel economy. Once it's up to speed, the outstanding torque takes over and it just goes. Overall fuel economy has been in the low 40's. Diesel fuel costs a bit more but in our area, it generally stays around $3/gal. Gasoline has more cost fluctuation but it seems to be around 10% less than diesel. Considering that we're getting probably 20-40% better fuel economy, we're making out!

Great SUV
By Mike

2018 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Well after renting the LT model for taking my son from Wisconsin to Dallas, Texas for a football camp, I was sold. I put 3400 miles on it and loved every aspect of the vehicle. I mean what's not to love I averaged just shy of 34mpg the entire trip including city driving with it. The little turbo ecotec motor has plenty of power to get you up to speed quickly or get you around others on the road, just remember to spool the turbo before taking off. I was a little apprehensive about the noise at first, I mean I've always had six and eight cylinder cars and suv's in the past and thought the little 4 cyl would make a lot of noise. Not the case at all the engine was smooth and quiet. The vehicle, however, does have a little road noise, but is still better than my previous 07 impala. The HID headlights are awesome and bright and I can't believe it's standard equipment on the LT package. The mylink infotainment is excellent as well, great sound and the touch screen is very easy to use. Love the android auto function, now I don't have to look at my small phone screen for google maps as it comes right up on the infotainment screen. The seats are very comfortable and I feel like I'm strapped in with out even having the seat belt on, I do always where my seat belt. The back seat area is big and roomy. My 15 year old son, all 6 foot plus of him said he was very comfortable back there and loved the fact that he could recline the seat back. As for trunk/cargo space there could be more. The under the deck cargo area is a plus but item's have to be short to fit under it. I get what they did, they made the back seat area bigger at the sacrifice of losing a little cargo area. For me this is fine because my family of 5 will never use this vehicle for long trips as it's my daily driver for work and store runs and we have a suburban for our bigger trips. I love how it handles which is just as good as my wife's Taurus or better. It hugs the road and doesn't drift or sway on corner. The reason I bought mine was my experience with my rental. My equinox has 600 miles on it right now and I can't base any mechanical problems or other issues at this time as I haven't experienced any. I will repost if I experience any problems. I do suggest the LT model over the LS model as you get more standard features with the LT package than the LS package for relatively a small price increase and I do recommend adding the 1900.00 convenience package as it gives you auto start, side blind spot detection, rear blind spot detection, dual climate control, heated seats and the power lift gate. Speaking of the side blind spot detection it works great especially for those pesky drivers that like to sneak up on you and then continue to sit in your blind spot. Also with the my Chevy app I can start my car and unlock or lock my doors, if I forget to, from anywhere in the world right from my smart phone as long as I have cell service. Great feature especially if it's really hot or really cold out. Overall I love the vehicle and feel I made a great purchase especially since it had 18% off MSRP at the time of purchase.

watch out for standard radio
By Diana

2018 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We just leased this 2018 Equinox and have had it for about 2 months. It drives and rides well. We have driven it on 2 trips and got good gas mileage. My biggest complaint is package we got which includes the tailgate lift, has a standard radio in it which won't connect with Android Auto if you have a smartphone that is 6.1 or lower. We bought this vehicle for the on screen navigation feature and now can't use it because my smartphone is only a 6.1. The only way we could have gotten the correct radio that would work with my phone was to buy the $2000 upgrade package that has the sunroof. We didn't want the sunroof and GM doesn't put the upgraded radio in any other car, so be aware of this issue with the 2018. Saying all this it's obvious that GM got a lot of complains because the 2019 all come with compatible radios, even my smartphone works in it! My only solution to this problem is going to be to buy a newer smartphone that is 8 and above at over $200 and I really don't want to do this. My dealer said GM could put a patch on the software to make all phones work with Android Auto but so far they haven't been willing to do this. Don't know if we will keep this car once our lease is up.

Love it
By C C

2018 Chevrolet Equinox Premier 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

Equinox is very comfortable and has enough power for mountains.

Pretty darn impressed!!
By Mike Coleman

2018 Chevrolet Equinox Premier 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First of all, I have only had it for a week so I cannot speak for longevity or reliability. Apart from that, first impressions are everything and I am very impressed. I have been a diesel lover since day one so this pick was a very attractive option. The 1.6L diesel is like most people said, not as "tire roasting" as the gasoline options but it will chirp the tires. I found it to feel like a rubberband that is thrusting you forward. Off the line its reserved until the turbo kicks in, then its quite fun. Its quiet and for the most part, sounds like a muffled diesel jetta. You wont notice any difference it so quiet. Handling is very impressive. Its tight and very responsive, more than my 1998 volvo s90 thats for sure. I like the road feel from the steering wheel. Its slight but not over powering and good for "sporty driving". Interior is very nice in the premier trim. The base model felt like a plastic box with hard bolstered seats and a fabric interior like a 90s Ford Taurus. The leather is soft, and the air conditioned seats are a gift from the gods. How isn't this a standard option on every car blows my mind. The legroom is great for tall people in all locations except if your a 2 year old. Then some how you have the longest legs in the world and kick mommys seat (get a seat protector). The infotainment system is great. Easy to use and easily configured. I love the layout for the driver display. Its simple and keeps all the clutter to a minimum. Features are great in the premier too. The wireless charging is nifty and the kick to open rear hatch is great if your a dad that has to grab all the groceries in one trip. Fuel economy is awesome for an AWD suv. I never take it out of awd because it gets 39.8 MPG with it on. Why bother with it? All in all....im very impressed and I will highly recommend one to anyone who wants AWD with good economy. Purchased in Canada (hence why the price is high)