Used 2018 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

Used Equinox for Sale
Select your model:
12345...29

Pros
Cons

2018 Transmission failed after 3 months

Melissa, 11/30/2017
LT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my 2018 equinox for 3 months, and I loved it until 2 days ago when the transmission failed. The part is back-ordered, so obviously this is happening to other people. The dealership says it could be 2 days or 2 weeks.... and they don't have a loaner car. I'm pissed.

2000 miles later

Mike Coleman, 09/21/2018
Premier 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

So, I wrote a review on this Equinox about 2 weeks after i owned it. Now, after a few road trips and a bit of long distance driving, I am ready to give a more in depth review. Firstly, The navigation interface is very frustrating. Very cluttered and most often in rural areas cannot find the address you are searching for. Luckily, Android auto with google maps makes it a mute matter. Secondly, My god those vented/heated seats are amazing! On a 4 hour drive to Vermont, they were very much the hero and highlight of the trip. Thirdly, that fuel mileage is awesome! over 530 miles to a tank. I was just laughing on the highway watching the remaining mileage go up and up as i drove on the highway. Just spectacular! Other highlights to be noted were the driving lights have great distance, the Bluetooth calling is crystal clear due to the 4 microphones, the bose audio makes great sound, and the layout of the car apps are a breeze. I do say that there is a bit of road noise (those are the tires,not the cars fault), the auto engine stop is annoying at times in city driving (put it into L6 to bypass this issue) and the lane assist isn't as aggressive as i was told it would be. But hey, those are not deal breakers. All in all I am loving this SUV. The handling is mint, the diesel noise is almost non existent, and the interior is very comfy. If you want a long distance family cruiser...this is your rig. **Note: I also have the "3" as the first digit in my VIN so that might be why mine is a great runner.

working as designed- NOT

Joe p, 03/17/2018
LT 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Customer Care at General Motors explained to me my 2018 Equinox is "working as designed" because they were no computer code errors. I guess that means the car is DESIGNED to shake/ shimmy/ vibrate at low & steady speeds. Test drive yours carefully. This Equinox replaced a 2013 Equinox that I never had a mechanical problem with. Dealer service manager said the 2018 transmission design shifted a lot more than the earlier one. OK with shifting- NOT HAPPY with the shake/ shimmy! Service writer said his tech thought the problem would iron out by 3,000 miles- NOPE. (9/19 update) The dealer contacted me several weeks ago and said the MAY have a fix. They did some tinkering and although the problem was slightly improved they admitted they still had issues and started a new TAC with GM. Told me I would be contacted in a few days and not be left hanging. Well- no contact and still hanging.

Can't Recommend.. engine died @ 1,400 miles

Mark Dyviniak, 12/29/2017
LT 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a new 2018 Equinox as my wife liked the 2010 Equinox that she drove (even though we had a lot of oil consumption issues with that vehicle). Being a loyal GM customer, went ahead and purchased a new 2018 Equinox. Rather than turn in the 2010 Equinox as a trade-in vehicle, decided to keep it for our college-bound daughter. Back to the 2018 Equinox purchase decision, since several years had passed and the vehicle had been completely redesigned, figured that all engine issues had been fixed. Unfortunately, no! With only 1,400 miles on the odometer, vehicle completely died as we were on the highway driving to a family reunion. Once the vehicle was examined by the dealership, they informed us that it needed a new engine (under warranty, of course). Couldn't believe it. That was the first of two factors that turned our GM loyalty upside down. The second factor occurred a month later.. the engine on the 2010 Equinox failed. That vehicle only had 45K miles on it. Because the vehicle was 8 years old, however, GM advised us that we would have to cover 80% of the $7,500 engine replacement cost. Shocked, I challenged that all the way up the GM chain. Reminded them of our two decades long GM loyalty. At the time, had 3 Chevrolets in the garage .. and each of them were not old, low-value vehicles. In fact, in the past 8 years we had purchased 3 brand new Chevrolets (model years 2010, 2015, 2018). GM didn't care. As such, determined that we were done with GM. Will not remain loyal to a company that significantly fails at producine a quality product (no car should need a new engine @ 45,000 miles, let alone 1,400 miles) and a company who doesn't take care of loyal customers when an issue comes up. Loyalty is earned .. which it appears GM doesn't get. As such, with our experience, cannot recommend the (2010 or) 2018 Equinox. **UPDATE: Sept 2020** Sold the 2018 Equinox. Replaced it with a 2019 Ford Edge. So far, the Ford is proving to be a much more reliable and better performing vehicle, although we still need more time to be assured of that. **UPDATE: March 2021** The Ford Edge has been such a better vehicle than the Equinox. It provides better performance and have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. Looking like Ford will now have our business.

2018 Chevy Equinox Diesel

TJ13, 09/06/2018
LT 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I went from driving a 2014 Chevy Sonci RS Hatchback to a 2018 Chevy Equinox Diesel. I decided on diesel due to the MPG, and the amount of driving I do daily. This car has been great. I am getting 40+ combined MPG. I have put 8000 miles on this car in 4 months. My only complaint is that it never ReGened. I got an error message the my engine power has been reduced ( can't go above 20 MPH) and then the check engine light came on with the message that it was trying to ReGen. Vehicle cannot regen under 35 MPH. Car was continuously driven until the Regen message went away but engine power did not resume and check engine light was still on. Took car to dealership, again only 4 months old. They had to do a manual regen, change out the DEF fluid, and replace a sensor. Tried to tell me that I stopped in the middle of the regen hense messed it up. This is not true. The dealership also let it slip that while the car is regenning, you will get no notification. So how am I supposed to know to keep driving? I can't do something that i don't know if happening.

12345...29