Used 2006 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Headache
By Chelsea

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have always wanted one of these and in Aug 2017, I got the chance to get one. Boy, what a headache it has been. It's Jan 2018 and I have already had to replace the thermostat twice, the blend flap and the actuator, burped the coolant system, and a radiator flush. It still blows cool air, which means that the heater core is bad. Something in the ignition is bad, it won't always start, most of the time I have to put it in neutral to start it. It also makes a funky sound when I step on the gas or let off of it. What a huge let down!!! We are getting rid of it as soon as possible.

11 years, 140,000 miles and still going strong
By JB

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I recently acquired my Equinox although I bought it new 11 years ago :-) We got this for our daughter when she went off to college, 6 years later as our son was going off to college it was handed down to him. Now my son bought a new car and he has given it back to me, ah the circle of life. In the 11 years our family has owned this car other than normal wear and tear items the only repair we have done is to replace the windshield wiper motor, not bad :-)

Updated 1/3/18 - So I have had the car for a year now. I have spent a few $$$ on it tires, shocks, brakes and tune up but I consider these all consumables. Still going strong

never again
By greg shepherd

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

OK here we go! I bought this suv used with 72,000 miles on it.About 3 days later the tracksion control went out and the dealer had to fix it on their dime.Then the starter went out then the wheel bearing went bad all before 100,000 miles.After 100,000 miles the heater totally quit working due to electrical problems .Then another wheel bearing went bad and now both strut assemleys need to be replaced and they are pricey . This suv has a lot of electrical issues .My advice would be to stay away from this suv.Chevy can't say they knew the meaning of putting pride in your work when they built this messed up suv!!! Now the drive shaft is going out.Not a cheap repair!!

Good for 8 years
By byrd2160@hotmail.com

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this vehicle for the first 8 years of it's life. The AWD is amazing and never once had a problem in the snow. It didn't have a lot a fancy bells and whistles but it had good basics as far a technology. But then it started to break down. After I hit 100K little things started to tear up, which I kinda expected. But then on year 7 it started to overheat. I had it worked on a handful of times and everything we tried ended up not working. Finally after several new fans the problem was solved. Then all the electrical issues started. All the lights on the panels would light up and blink randomly. Then the buttons on the radio stopped working. Then it started stalling at red lights. Then the motor locked up at 10 years old. Apparently the oil pump went out. Not a long lasting kinda vehicle.

Great vehicle
By kim gretka

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this vehicle for 5 years now, and other than standard repairs due to age, it has been wonderfully reliable. The gas mileage is great, and the leg room front and back seat is awesome.