Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Don’t buy this unless you get have a spare tranny
By Kyle p

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought this car for 8000 from a Lexus dealership with 100k miles as certified pre owned junk, it only lasted 3 months and 3k miles until it left us stranded and our pockets emptied. It always was from the start a slow shifter if the engine had even the slightest bit of power the transmission did the sure job of making sure it never showed, after it started slipping and smoking I changed the fluid and drove it around for a week and it drove normal except for the constant downshifting and the lack of power and efficiency from that god awful transmission, even if I am soft on the gas it doesn’t shift gears until it hits 3k rpms! So much for improving the fuel economy. What I noticed about that car is if you’re not on the gas it is almost painful to drive (I was told the downshifting and slow shifting was normal) the only good thing about that car was it’s low center of gravity for handling and it’s looks, now since the transmission literally broke into pieces from normal driving that car has been sitting as a 8 grand yard decoration, (FYI in the manual it won’t even tell you when the transmission fluid needs to be changed all it tells you is that it is not necessary to check the fluid and have a dealer change it when it is needed but how are you supposed to know when it is needed if it gives you neither a specific mileage or a dipstick to check!) don’t buy this car and expect it to last to 150000 miles without putting in serious time and money to the power train, I wouldn’t even take this car again if it was free

DO NOT BUY
By Laura

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car, brand new, with 16 miles on it. I have had it for 6 years. As far as comfort and driving go, the car is great. It’s a fun car to drive, and eye catching, but the engine needs to be scrapped, if I’m being completely honest. The coolant system has been the bane of my existence. I replace the thermostat every 6 months-a year and neither the dealer nor GM can figure out why. I keep up on regular maintenance, but even so, there’s no reason a thermostat should need replaced 6 months into owning a brand new car and every year after (it’s on its fifth thermostat, no recalls, no help from the dealer). The constant leaks that pop up in the coolant system seals the deal on why I will not be replacing the thermostat again (the only reason I was is due to being upside down in my loan very soon into financing the car due to the extreme rate of depreciation). I am getting away from this car as fast as I can. Really wish GM would help the customers who have had to deal with all of these issues, because I’m not the only one. I bought this car for safety and reliability. It has left me stranded and/or scared to drive it more than I would care to deal with, and it cost me about $22k to enjoy that. Trust me, stay away from this car.

The little Turbo that makes me smile
By Concrete Daddy

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Right off the bat, this 4 cylinder motor with a little Turbo always brings a SMILE to my face when I step on it! My wife has confidence to jump on the freeway and outrun the Big Rigs at the onramps and it gets excellent fuel economy (close to 30 mpg around town). With over 60,000 miles logged, its never needed Brakes! We have replaced all 4 tires at 40,000 miles, the Battery most recently, and run Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil...that's ALL! Very impressed with how well the paint, interior and suspension have lasted, as well. We got the extended warranty while purchasing it brand new, but it's been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. Once my Colorado was worn out, we bought another Cruze LT, a 2016 Limited and look forward to having the same awesome experience with it!

Buyer beware
By Debra

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car new in 2012. In February of 2017 the transmission went. The car was out of warranty by approximately 3000 miles. The dealership told me i would have to pay for the rebuilt transmission, which i did. I then filed a complaint with chevy and was told they couldnt do anything about it because i had already paid for the repairs. So now 18 months after Lunghamer Chevrolet fixed the transmission it is shot again. I again called Chevy and was told they couldnt do anything about it. DON'T buy a 2012 cruze!!

Great car!
By Max

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my Cruze! I owned my Cruze for roughly 3.5 years until I totaled it when I hit a deer. I travel a lot for work (+/-30,000mi/yr) so I always look for a car that gets great gas mileage, and the Cruze was the one. Frequently I’d be getting upper 30s and low 40s for my mpgs and could go well over 500 miles per tank. Really no complaints, handled great in all types of weather. I would definitely reccommend it!