Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Don't buy a Cruze!
By Brent Matthew

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Owned a Cruze for 2 years. 1 week after purchase the problems started. Trunk wouldn't stay closed. Coolant started boiling over/leaking. Water pump and associated parts were replaced. I thought it would be okay for awhile with new parts. No! It happened 2 more times. Researched Cruze coolant issues online, and this is a VERY common problem, they are notorious for it. When I was getting the coolant issue fixed, the dealer found a oil leak. More parts replaced. Recall after recall. Parts that aren't recalled you will pay for repairs, because they are low quality. MPG was way less than EPA rating, 20-25 MPG. Engine was weak. At 137 horsepower it struggled getting up hills if I had 2 people and a couple luggage bags. GM cars depreciate so much that many find they owe more than the car is worth. Within months this happens. My car lost half it's value in 2 years! This is my 4th GM vehicle and I'm done! From all the complaints I've read, I think the Cruze will be GM's downfall. It obviously has many many quality issues all around.

Farewell to a friend
By Richard S

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Cruz Eco 6 years ago when my job moved 55 miles away. It replaces a Jeep that averaged 19 mpg. It was my first Chevyrolet purchase. I’m retired today. I am selling my Cruz to a friend. 6 people at work wanted to buy it. It is a very dependable car. I replaced it with a 2018 Chevyrolet Equinox.

Comfortable but poor engine, poor transmission
By Frank SZ

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

First, before I won't forget to mention, the worst thing on this car is its driver side blind spot. I'm 5'8" and I have owned around 6 cars in my life and driven at least 100 (worked on a mechanic shop for a while), and this car has a horrifying blind spot. Not sure why but basically I have to look out every 5 min even if I'm not changing lanes , by leaning up and over my shoulder, because it's been countless times that there was a car driving beside me and I didn't notice it. It's a huge blind spot, probably the shape of the mirror, the size of the window and lack of blind spot mirror piece and the way the seat is. I would say, shorter people would have it worse with this. It has to be a horrible oversight in design how the A pillar is positioned and the size/shape of the driver window, compare to the seat position. Just to make a point, I am releived when I drive ANY other car, because I don't have to deal with this. The engine, despite it's 1.8L, is poor performing and considering the weight/size of the car - has a poor fuel economy. I get 30mpg at best, but my wife's with a full sedan twice the size and almost same engine, she gets 33mpg while far quicker and more powerful. The 6 speed manual is just bad. Driving any other manual cars feels like a relief, after 3yrs of driving this car, I still have to look down which gear I'm in. 1st gear is just super short and I have to rev the car so it won't stall from a dead stop. Embarassing if it does, especially for someone who drove manual cars since age 16. I don't think it's my fault. Between 5-6th gear, there is hardly any difference. Again, I have to look down and see if I'm in 6th or 5th, hard to tell since there isn't much difference in ratio. It's like the 5th gear is pointless. You gonna be either in 4th and 6th, and will frequently up shift just like that, skipping the 5th, if I'm not scaring you enough to buy this car. To make a point, GM dropped this engine in 2017 and dropping this manual transmission in 2019 and you can guess it, for probably a good reason. Electronically, there are some failures. the cooling system is a frequent problem, I see others complaining of the thermostat failing or the car overheating. I had 1 overheating, right now it's ok, but my gauge is stuck. I really think, these sort of issues should have not been a problem in 2012 when the car was made, I mean come on, Ford T model came out 100 years earlier and they still can't make a gauge to be working? So in a nutshell: Buy this car for looks and comfortable seats. Don't expect to accelerate quickly (this car has to be one of the slowest cars on the road) and be prepared to check your blind spot every 5-10 minutes if you want to stay out of accidents and scary surprises.

This car is a nightmare a couple years in
By Steve

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We ll not much to say but this car has problems, at 50,000 miles its all downhill from there. Camseals leaked, oil pan leaked, need new valve cover because the intake manifold has a check valve that goes bad which screws up the PVC system in this car. Transmission seal leaked at 77,000. Now at 97,000 miles and out of warranty for 3 months and need a new valve cover again, oil pan leaking again. Never in my life have I had a car that has had so many leaks and engine problems.

Oh, the irony
By Author Name

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a cheap commuter. I have about 60 miles, round trip, of commuting daily and wanted a basic vehicle with good mpg. My only real complaint with the Cruze is that there is no cruise. You would think that even in the base model, you would get the vehicle's name sake as a standard option. Other than that, I've put about 30,000 miles on the vehicle and required no maintenance other than oil changes and other routine work. It's not slow, but it's not fast. It gets competitive gas mileage. It does well in snow and icy conditions, for a front wheel drive vehicle. For the level of options, the price was competitive, except the lacking cruise control. Overall, it's been a great little a-b car that I plan to drive until it blows up. At the rate the car is going, that will probably be a while.