Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 300 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Great Car
By blizbiggy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car early spring of 2011 with 101K miles on it.
So far I have replaced the front brakes and rotors and the business I bought it off of put a bran new clutch in it.
I have put 20K on it myself this past year.
Reliability is great and mileage is great with a nice get-up-and-go.
Currently in colder weather at 32.5MPG and got 35.5MPG during this past summer.

The only issues with the car so far being the sunroof track broke and that the stereo display is dying (got a kenwood double-din to pop in it).
The buttons for the display also are kinda cheap and you have to press it just right to make it change.

Nice get-up-and-go. Was a good sounding stereo while it lasted. Automatic windows Great fuel economy Plenty of room even for a small car

Better track mechanism for the sunroof. Make the darn thing out of metal for heavens sake so this crap doesn't shatter/break.

Very Fun Ride
By dawnnelson

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

My SSSC was my first ever new car and is still going strong to this day. I've put tons of mileage on it going back and forth from the Seattle area to the Phoenix area and have had absolutely no problems with it. Incredibly fun to drive everywhere. Even handled heavy snow on Cabbage in Oregeon without chains or studs, and without batting an eyelash. Young people are drawn to this car and other makes and models in this class. With my experience (ie; 10 to 20 years their senior, with 10 years of professional CDL driving experience under my belt), no one has bested me in my baby yet. Thought about buying a Mustang before I got this and glad I didn't.

Awesome speed off the line, handles everything I throw at it, and turns heads.

Interior could use a few improvements, and I can't understand why a loaded car doesn't even have the option of adding heated mirrors.

Mixed feelings...
By 823freckles

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I got my cobalt in 2009 with 17000 miles on it. I was constantly having problems with it-interior quality is awkward and shoddy, I failed an emissions test shortly after buying it, and some other problems I honestly can't remember, except they were costly. I also hated that it seemed to turn way too widely, at least for me-handling was awkward. I would have rated it lower, but as I just totaled it and walked away sans injuries, I'm giving it a slightly higher rating. But I think there are cars just as safe, but more enjoyable to drive out there.

First and never the last!
By jujujujosh7

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I traded my 2002 mustang gt convertible for my 2006 cobalt ss, and I will never ever go back to ford! Chevrolet, really did a great job on this car.
I get around 29 MPG's, gas is a bit esxspensive but it saves you money in the long run, the clutch is just fine, shifts just fine, runs even better, the interior is really nice, I wish i had the heated seats!
it does torque steer, and if you put a cold air intake on it! it whines and whistles very loudly!
I am very very satisfied with it, and I occasionally drive this car very hard I am 20 so lol, and it drives perfect! so much technology!

Exterior, the speed, the sound system! auto tint !

not sure

Unseen-Unknown problems
By mnguy2

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought an '06 Cobalt (LTZ) about a month ago and have quite the story to tell.
I took the car for a two-day test drive and brought it to a trusted mechanic (everything checked out).
A week later, the car stalls out on me in stop-and-go traffic, so I brought it to the dealer and they take about a week to try to figure the problem out, they are telling me they can't figure out whats wrong with it.
I started driving it again and about a week later it stalled out on me twice in stop-and-go traffic...dealer has had the car for going on two weeks and still can't find the problem.
FYI, I treat my cars well, I don't floor it everywhere I go...Chevy has lost my respect.

Heated driver seats, somewhat attractive dash display, ability to see digital display of oil life and coolant temps.

I suggest that Chevy focuses on building a reliable vehicle that doesn't break down every week. I owned a Ford for the last 5 years and never had a single engine/electrical/tranny/fuel system problem (and it was an 12 yr old vehicle).