Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 300 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Best car to purchase
By hblmo115

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We owned a z24 Cavalier before we purchased this car and I like this car even more than my Cavalier. It is a excellent purchase. I love my Cobalt. Lots of room because we have two children and they don't complain about it like they did the Cavalier.

Chrome detailing in car, and the way it handles

None

Look at better options
By JoHo

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

If you're looking for a mechanically dependable car, you've found it. But the interior quality is what could be found in a $9000 car. It's made from cheap plastic and the paint that covers it likes to chip easily. As said in earlier reviews, the housing for the sun roof likes to fall out, a lot. It honestly won't stay put. I love the feel of the car when i drive it, but the horrible quality of the interior makes me wish i could drive it without being in it.

Supercharger, red inserts in seats, premium sound

Redo the interior using high quality materials.

My Cobalt SS
By mike

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I have had an amazing experience with this car. It's fast, fun to drive, and the stylish look and feel is amazing. I don't understand why more people have not purchased this vehicle. When it comes to pure driving satisfaction, This car really delivers.

The handling and speed capabilities of this car and the amazing sound system make this car one of the most fun rides you can get. Believe me I also have a Mustang and the Cobalt SS blows it out hands down

Seats after long trips can get alittle uncomfortable, but this is expected with sports car seating.

Wow, High Quality from GM
By 2006 Black Cobalt LS

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This inexpensive little car is a super bargain. At 29K the car has not had any reason to return to the dealer except for normal maintenace. I am shocked at the high quality of this car. The last time I had purchased a new GM car was 1980 and it was so bad I didn't think I would ever buy GM again. The car handles very nicely on the 15" aluminum wheels. The rear design is second to none. The only downfall is they won't install an armrest on the cars with sticks, so I bought one myself and installed it. The armrest is a huge improvement. The shifter is a bit too far back but that can be adjusted too. Now GM needs to keep up the good work and win back some of their lost business.

The look from the back is really cool on such an inexpensive car. The gas mileage is always over 30 and gets as high as 37 MPG. Decent HP. The LS is a little screamer, I can just imagine how fun the SS or SC/SS must be.

Move the shifter a bit forward and install the armrest. Everything else is a home run.

Front axle woes
By Concerned GM buyer

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Any time I turn right,for example, turning right into a parking space, the steering mechanism groans. I got the car new! There's not yet 5000 miles on the odometer. The engine seems OK, simply peppy, but the noise turning hopefully can be remedied under warranty. I wonder about new GM cars with Magnasteer and GM's more upscale cars with steering, ride and handling. My mileage mpg is 27.5 shy of 31 mpg EPA testing.

Basic radio CD player can play MP3s. All GM radios should have Bass, Mid Eq and Treble adjusting. The speakers are like a kazoo...paper-like and flimsy. The ergonomics are the best feature of the interior.

Noise dampening. Cold wintery highway cruising the whistling sound reminds me of cars that were driven decades gone by. Simplify radio choices, options; all floor mats should be standard and continue to smooth out the roughness that plagues this Cavalier replacement.