Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Not Bad
By Not bad

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I got my 1999 cavalier April first 2002 and I've had the car 4 years now. I got it with 12000 miles and now it has 80000 and I haven't had one problem out of this car except for the ABS system failed, but it's run smooth since I got it. Be careful how you drive it because it can be easy to mess it up. If you want a fast car or a sports car, buy somthing else because this won't last. Take care of it regular maintainace and it can last you a long while. With a few simple parts such as a supercharger and a backcat exhaust system you could get 218hp out of it

Ice cold A/C, handling,and noisy but peppy 4cyl,

More powerful engine would be nice. Alarm should be standard. More interior space. Better sounding stereo

Decent car for the price
By Jason

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for at least 4 months, put about 3k miles on it, and already I've had to get it into the shop, once for an oil leak, another for the timing-chain valve cover, and guess what? I just found out I have to take it in for repairs that will run me about $915-950. My power window motors are also showing signs of the motor dying. I'd strongly advise any Cavalier Z24 buyers to keep an eye on the engine repeatedly after the purchase.

2.4 liter engine, fog lights, quick pick-up, remote keyless entry, CD player, sunroof

Water pump, timing-chain valve cover, make the cupholder slightly bigger, make power window motors more dependable

Very dependable, fun to drive
By jolene putnam

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car only because it has a moonroof. I had a '00 Cavalier 4dr and sold it for this one. This car has been very dependable for the daily communite as well as weekend get aways. The only complaint I have is the lack of space in the back for the kids. Luckily they get along pretty good.

Moonroof, exterior design-very sporty, handling, great gas mileage

Roomier interior, different design for cup holder

Good Car
By Satisfied Driver

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used in 2001. Very reliable car except for some of the interior plastic. The car was very low maintenance other than the usual tires and exhaust. The blower motor for heat and a/c died and needed a replacement fuse after 4 yrs. The driver and passenger power window motors also both died. All in all the car was a great buy aside from the little things. I would certainly recommend it as a cheap, sporty little car.

Sun roof, quick 2.4 engine. Sharp looking car.

Fix the cheap plastic. GM needs to recognize that the blower motor fuse is indeed a problem (every person I know with a Cavalier 1998 and newer has had theirs go.) Enhance reliability of the power window motors.

Cracking up over my Chevy
By VBS 1999

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

It is pretty reliable so far EXCEPT for the battery life. My battery died on me within the first 2 years that I had the car. Never left the lights on, just wouldn't start. It happened again 2 year - 2/12 years later. Guess what, on my 3rd battery now and it did it again. Interior is garbage quality and the body is garbage quality. The dashboard piece that meets the windshield cracked for no reason. Dealership never offered to replace the part since the warantee expired. The darn thing started cracking around year 2. Did I mention that the power windows don't work as of 6 months ago? I loved my Z24, alot of great memories, but won't buy another Chevy ever again. Toyota...here I come!!!

Great horsepower, pretty decent gas mileage, sporty look without spending alot of money, and no serious engine problems..so far (knock on wood).

Better quality for body of car. The black color faded within 4 years. Improve suspension and improve electrical efficiency of the vehicle so battery does not keep dying so frequently.