Used 1999 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Chevy's ABS brakes stink!
By Nicky

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD

My 99 Blazer LS has only 79k miles and my ABS brakes are completeley shot. Most of the time I cannot come to a stop. I need a new ABS system, new shocks & struts, new CB joint, and new Wheel bearings and the transmission is starting to slip. I hate this car! My Mom had a "94 with the exact same problems when it was only 2yrs old. I would never buy a Chevrolet again.

Power Driver Seat and Overhead console. Fold down rear seats are great for large cargo.

None

Worst vehicle I have ever purchased
By chk8abanan

1999 Chevrolet Blazer 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. It has not gone longer than 12 weeks without being in the shop. The plastic seat handle on the driver seat and the rear gate broke off in the first 10,000 miles. I had to have the door lock mechanism replaced, ball joints replaced, and 4WD was serviced for several defective internal parts. I have had numerous electrical problems including the AC staying on when switched to “off” position, lights flickering on and off, losing sight of my dashboard gauges due to lights going off.

Did relatively well on snow with purchase of snow tires- but don't try to drive up a hill in snow- rear wheel drive is completely ineffective

Make a car that is worth the hard earned money we pay for it. (and in this case... continue to keep paying for it.)

No more blazers
By Learned my lesson

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 1999 blazer after owning a 1987 blazer, which probably was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Problems started at 32,000 miles when the front suspension had to be replaced."GM Dealership would not fix under warranty" I have replaced the leaking oil lines, alternator,intake gasket,and around 50,000 miles the engine blew up. Have always changed my oil at 3000 miles and used a good grade of oil and filter. The (extended warranty) rep said probably just a faulty part. After reading other reviews looks like I'm not the only one with these problems. "Be careful of extended warranties"

Good looking vehicle and drives great when running!

Looks like several improvements need to be considered.

Love/Hate relationship
By UGA Dawg

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have mixed feelings about this vehicle. I bought the truck used in 2000. It has been a fairly reliable vehicle, but it has put us down a few times. Positives: It's fun to drive, has enough room for me, and has good towing power. It's been through off road situations I didn't think it could manage. It has good looks. Major problems: 40,000 or earlier oil lines leak. 70,000 tranny rebuilt-don't buy a new GM tranny, it will only give the same problem, 100,000 Dextron coolant congealed in the radiator and ruined it. At 140,000 the A/C quit and axles or bearings are roaring. Minor issues: Seat levers break, door hinge bushings wear out often (doors sag). In summary, shy away from the Blazer, although I can hardly part with mine.

Great for light off-roading. Perfect size (not too big, not too small).

Design change for tranny, new design for oil lines around filter, change Dextron formula (I think this has already taken place), Better hinge bushings, stronger seat lever posts

Blazer's Stink
By Bill Jenkins

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV

The Chevy Blazer really, really stinks. It is suppost to be a strong built, heavy duty SUV. I am here to tell you that it is NO such thing! In the year & a half that I have owned my Chevy Blazer the front end has virtually fallen apart. This is not a well built SUV in my opinion. I will not recommend the Purchase of any Chevy Product to anyone. As they would be upset shortly after purchase.

The comfort of the Blazer is Very Good. The fact that it comes with CD & Cassette is very nice. I Loved the Heated Seats. It was a very comfortable SUV at a good price.

They need to work on the Basic structure of the Blazer. Fuel Economy.