Used 2000 BMW Z3 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 BMW Z3 Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

I have owned my BMW 2002.8 L roadster since 2000.
By Lisa

2000 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

I bought this vehicle new in 2000. The first year and a half that I owned it was a disaster. The drivetrain needed to be replaced. The transmission replaced as well. I went through 10 years of trying to fix this vehicle. At the time it cost me $40,000. I thought I would get a quality vehicle. But the first 10 years were hell. I have now owned this vehicle 19 years, and I have to say it was very much worth waiting for. This vehicle is beautiful. Gives me the satisfaction of driving a true mechanical car. It gives me such a total thrill to drive such a beautiful, powerful car is this. If you really want the pure joy of driving a car, get this to 2000 BMW Z3 2.8 roadster for yourself. You’ll thank me . I hope I am buried with this car when I die. I think it is the most challenging, exhilarating, car I have ever owned. God bless you all

Owned two in a row
By Jeffrey Feltman

2000 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Unless you’re a died in the wool roadster person you will find fault even in a Perfect example. If you really want a great roadster with all the road feel and sounds, you will not find a better choice for the money!!!!

Weekend car... Thats all
By DiVa_3181377

2000 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Update:
Seems i am still working on it. Serviced the drive shaft and now the engine mounts are due. After this, i need to fix the interior. Using regular fuel now. Other than the slight knocking, car seems to run fine. Now i have to keep it for few more years since i did all the work and not worth selling

Original:
Bought a used one 3 years back with 112K. Most of the parts which last a longer than a VW or a Honda, this car needs replacement. I started from the struts, shocks, brakes, complete rear suspension overhaul (bushings, links etc), all fluids, then the DME (engine computer) and then the whole cooling system replacement. Replaced most of the parts and since the steering is not rock solid as the VW that i have with 118K. Also it whines (differential / central bearing) which is really annoying. Spend almost 5K on repair while doing my self and still not done. Except engine and transmission, everything else needs replacement at 100K. Now the car is reliable and can drive, but not silent (the stupid whine of some bearing) and the loose steering. City mpg is like 20+ with premium (with regular also it is same). AC barely cools in Texas summer. 2.5L I 6 engine produces 170hp with 181ft torque which is same as I4 engine of a VW turbo. Big engine, not that fast / high in specs.

It sounds nice, looks cool. That's all. If you know how to fix cars, this car is for you. It can last like 300k. Engine (except the VANOS seals and VCG), has been rock solid. Also the transmission. Just like all the BMW's, anything else is not reliable. It is a fun car (not so much for 0-60).

Quite a ride. Worth the coin.
By stevie63

2000 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Bought the car after servicing it for a client for ten yrs. What a great,great car. Reliable,fun,light,
well made.
I did pop for a Shark Injector plug in performance module. It was WELL worth the money.
The M52TU benefited well from the upgrades.
In short,fun and rewarding to drive and own.

Exhaust note.

Ten percent stiffer springs.

Update of 2002 Review
By GaryA

2000 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

I wrote an earlier review of the Z3 and mistyped V6 when I knew the 2.5 L engine in the 2.3 model is an inline 6. Anyway, have now put on around 80k miles and this car still drives like new. Just as tight, no rattles or body noises. Great car.

Acceleration, exterior body styling. I like the size of the Z3 more than the Z4.

Rear window, but that's not a big deal.