2021 BMW X5 Hybrid Consumer Reviews

$59,400

Save as much as $3,363
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Real electric range, highly refined

Steven, 02/12/2021
xDrive45e 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

The X5 45e is an outstanding compromise between the convenience, efficiency and joy of an everyday electric car and the traditional performance and range of a BMW inline 6. Pretty much all electric most days, and the integration of electric and gas is excellent - almost imperceptible when gas engine kicks in. BMW iDrive and driving assistant tech is excellent. Fit and finish outstanding. High voltage battery is big enough that this car earns same $7500 tax credit as full electric cars, making it an outstanding value over every other model X5.

Amazing Overall, Electronics fail

NWisland, 06/18/2021
xDrive45e 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Breathtaking balance of power and grace, but in the first 30 days the electronics had an issue that requires a dealer appointment & loaner. Vehicle producers need to remember they have higher reliability standards than FANG companies and should consider scaling back features to enhance the reliability of what they do include.

Good Not Great

TJ in Seattle, 05/19/2021
xDrive45e 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

2021 BMW X5 xDrive 45e I have had my X5 for about a month now, with 1200 miles of local and road trip experience. I am about 80% happy with it. I bought this to replace my wife’s 2011 Lexus RX350. I wanted something that was about the same size with a bit better performance, and a hybrid. Size: My first and lasting impression is that this is a big vehicle, despite being a “mid size” SUV. It feels big, parking with that long hood is a challenge (get the surround view cameras!!), demands a big parking space, turning radius is wide. It also sits up pretty high…I shouldn’t have gotten those 20 inch wheels to add to that. Getting in and out is a bit of a step (I’m 5’10”, so not short), and note you can’t avoid rubbing against the doorsill, even if you don’t get the running board. (Note you can lower the height manually, but it goes back up when you next drive.) And despite being 6 inches longer and 2 wider than my old Lexus, storage space is 20% less, and barely more than with my Infiniti QX50, a much smaller SUV. Specs don’t say it, but that battery seems to take up a lot of space vs the non-hybrid X5. Having said all that, it does have lots of passenger room, and storage is still good. Interior: Very plush. Certainly not the softest leather in the world…but I suppose it will wear well. Nice phone charger and lots of USB’s available. And buttons for direct access to the most used features….heat, radios, etc. Storage is ok, although it would be nice to have an official sun glass space, and the glove compartment door really cramps that space in there, so nothing wide will fit. But good seating space, and the contour seats I ordered are great, once you’ve figured out what all those seat buttons do. Electronics: Very extensive capabilities. I got the Premium pack, Driver’s Assistance, and Parking. But it is a challenge to learn them all….and I’m an engineering who likes this stuff. OK, when you learn it all, it is ok to operate and tells you what you need to know, and the displays are beautiful. But to get there, this is the first time I’ve had to really read the manual, and that in itself is a major challenge….very few diagrams and labels to work with, so I had to spend some time with the BMW expert at my dealer to get even the basics. While it is somewhat customizable, I still haven’t gotten it the way I prefer, and some things just aren’t available….like a Favorites list for my contacts. I have ended up doing a lot with the voice commands, which work pretty well. Gesture control is useless and I shut it off. Apple Car Play (fee?) and Android are included, but I don’t use them….bluetooth performance with my phone is fine. The driver’s display has several configurations, all of which have lots of information competing for your attention…..none of it is really bigger to stand out. Is that mileage number shown for gas, hybrid, combined????? What’s that symbol mean??? And the heads-up display is nice, unless you wear sunglasses in which case it is pretty invisible. Colors/Looks: I hope you like black! BMW apparently thinks you’ll like one of their fully four choices of black/dark gray. Ok, there are also 2 whiles, one blue, and one green. Huh. No silver?? Other than white, everything is quite dark, so dirt shows up. Otherwise, it looks “ok”, but probably could do with a refresh. Driving: OK, this is why you buy a BMW. This thing is a pleasure to drive, especially on the highway. It is powerful (even in the mountains), smooth (ok, bumps can be a bit jarring, but not bad), handles well (responsive, and no big swaying on turns), and very quiet. And all those safety packages work great! Yes, the lane keeping can be aggressive, so I’ve turned that off for local driving. MPG: This is my first EV and I have been delighted with it. I get about 40 miles on electric, so better than the 30 mile spec. That is enough for most of my daily driving, but in some weeks I go beyond that and have been hitting about 50 mpg combined. Local driving with no battery seems to be in the 15-18 mpg range. On my recent 500 mile road trip through the mountains, I got about 35 mpg combined. (I used the adaptive mode in combination with the nav system to ration out the batteries for maximum efficiency.) Charging: BMW supplies a mobile charger that works with 110V Level 1 charging and takes about 24 hours to fully charge the vehicle. Not adequate for an overnight charge at all. I had to install 240V in my garage for Level 2 charging that gets the job done in about 6 hours…ok, not the 3-5 the spec says, but fine for overnight. Conclusion: As I said, I’m about 80% happy with my X5. My biggest issue is that it is just bigger than I expected, especially when parking it. But it is plush and drives well, and the EV performance is excellent.

2nd X5...won't be our last

David, 03/25/2021
sDrive40i 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

We had a 2015 X5 x35i w/ M Sport Package and enjoyed it for all 106,000 miles that we put on it. Never had any trouble with it and it put a smile on my face every time I drove it. I'd planned to keep it for a very long time - and felt confident that we could have. The problem was that we went to the dealership and saw the '21 X5 and I was blown away by how much it's changed from the previous generation. This new X5 is unbelievable. In an act of unnecessary gluttony, we swapped our '15 X5 in there and then for the '21 and are very happy with the new one. The software/electronics are as good as it gets. The 40i engine we bought is a blast to drive. It's substantially more powerful than the 35i engine in the previous generation. It's more roomy, and in my opinion, I think it's a nice, subtle appearance (although I loved how the previous model looked, as well). Very happy with this car. I can add that in the 106k miles we put on the previous X5, the car never developed any rattles or shakes that we've experienced with age/miles in cars from other manufacturers. This car stayed rock-solid the entire time, and I'm not sensing any reason to believe the '21 will be any different.

Fault in drive train almost killed me

CWR196191, 06/18/2021
xDrive40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Car is less that 9000 miles - lost power on a bridge and I was forced to pull over in a dangerous situation. It had to be towed due to a fault in the drive train and all we have been told is two of the 8 batteries left the factory faulty. BMW cannot figure out the issue 4 days later and I will never buy a BMW again.