Used 2018 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used X5 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Wish I could return

Chris Oakley, 10/04/2018
xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This is definitely the worst car I've ever purchased. I paid $85k for my 2018 BMW X5. I've had numerous issues since I purchased it. It was not aligned from the factory and I had to take it in almost immediately to have an alignment done. The seatbelts were really noisy in the front seats. I had them replaced and they are a bit better now, but it's ridiculous to have this issue on such an expensive car. The electronics leave a lot to be desired. Sometimes it will automatically switch driver profiles. Sometimes it won't. There doesn't seem to be any reason why. Even the so-called "geniuses" at the dealer didn't know why. At around 8,000 miles, several interior panels started rattling and making noise. The seat motor in the passenger seat went out and that had to be replaced. I'm so done with this car and BMW. It's my first and definitely my last. There are some nice things about the car, but it's pretty hard for me to enjoy them when there are so many other things wrong with it.

Fast, solid, and hungry

Wine Country Guy, 11/21/2018
xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

After having a 3 and then a 5 series, this car was my first foray into SUV land since growing up driving a Chevy Suburban. This car is solid and is very good looking...I get compliments all the time on the appearance. It just feels solid driving as well, but the 4.4 liter twin turbo V8 doesn't make it feel heavy or sluggish at all. But the cost to that is a gas station visit is more frequent--which after owning a 535i took some getting used to. But every time I start it and hear the low V8 grumble it puts a smile on my face.

Rock Solid Car

Gordon from New Jersey, 10/04/2018
xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I’ve owned dozens of cars, foreign and domestic, and the X5 tops my list in every respect. Most importantly, this car delivers a sense of confidence, in terms of performance, connection with the road, and overall safety. I'm proud to drive and own this car.

Very good but could be great

LJS, 03/15/2018
xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Mechanics , looks and driving experience are great. However, the plastic interior parts are cheap . The seat controls are a cheap plastic with imprecise movements. The door inserts have sharp edges. For a few dollars the same pieces could be made to have a quality feel like all of my Mercedes do.

Excellent pre-owned value with pace and grace

jimyfromDC, 01/13/2021
xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

iDrive entertainment system is the best when it comes to UI. This generation is perfect since it has the right level of digital and analog details. The interior and exterior styling is understated and the reason you get the X5 is for the engine! The V8 is so silky smooth. The car is tuned more for comfort than sport, but if you get the M-Sport suspension as I did the handling is greatly improved. If you can find one with the Dynamic Handling Package, it takes handling to another level, but due to how complicated it is, the long term cost of maintaining it could be pretty high. Overall, the X5 is a great combination of comfort, space and handling. So far, it's been very reliable, although as some have pointed out it does have body squeaks from plastic rubbing together in some places. However, it is really minor in an otherwise rock-solid SUV.