Used 2012 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

RUN AWAY...DO NOY BUY
By Dane Ramkalawan

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have a 2012 X5 SUV. Paid high 65K and kept it in the garage for most times. The car is well maintained with all maintenance up to date. Las month I got a Yellow light saying the engine temp was high and I should stop driving the car. 3 mins later the yellow turned red and the car slowed to a crawl. I parked in the gas station and got it towed to the dealer. The rep called me later in the day saying that the coolant pump failed and it would cost 1725.00 plus tax to repair. My car mileage was 24,100 miles and an expensive part like that failed. BMW should take some responsibility here. It is out of warranty but only doing 24k miles. I called BMW headquarters to explain and get them to assume some responsibility, but the answered that I am out of warranty and they cannot do anything.....I know that. But help out here. Customer service at the top is non existent and they show that they do not care about anything outside of the warranty. DO NOT BUY. I will never own a BMW again. By the way I have had many BMWs and my family owns some. They have already decided to switch based on my experience.

An amazing Jack-of-all-Trades car but very complex
By TomG

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First off, the X5 diesel does everything extremely well - it's comfortable, fast, sporty, and economical (fuel). The thoughtfulness of the designers is amazing, and the execution is making a nearly 5000lb car feel like it weighs 2000lbs less is something to behold. Compared to the old E53 body style, the E70 feels like it's carved out of one piece of metal and has attained an overall higher level of refinement. The main drawback of these is that the complexity of the car adds to the maintenance costs, and that's reflected in the relatively low resale value once the warranty expires. Overall, the car is solid and built well, but there are a ton of gadgets (e.g. every door is soft-close). The drivetrain is robust, but expect problems with the CDI fuel injectors (the cowl area at the base of the hood is not sealed correctly and drips water onto #5 & 6), which cost ~$700 each and there are six of them. The "clean" part of "clean diesel" also is troublesome with expensive repairs to the DPF, SCR active tank, NOx sensors, etc., often required. Bottom line is I would not own one of these out of warranty if I didn't know how to work on them, but otherwise the tradeoffs are definitely worth it.

Love it except....
By Lace

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

As soon as it hit 100,000 miles it has been very expensive problems one after another. Two oil leaks. Water pump went out as soon as I got my second oil leak fixed two days later. Couple days before Christmas I got a big crack in the overfill reservoir left me stranded. Now the mechanic tells me that I need a transfer case which is about $2000 just for the part not only that I also need a high-pressure fuel pump which is about $750. Ridiculous. Other than that I think the car is amazing

Fun SUV
By Tom Tedesco

2012 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

The BMW X5, especially with the V8, is a engaging car to drive.

2012 BMW X5 Issues too many already! Disappointed.
By T B K

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought it used 58k miles , first day the battery died, took it to BMW dealer, labor+parts+programming $475, called the dealer i bought it from (not BMW car dealer)and they sent me the check for the full amount.

After 2 months engine overheating, towed the car to the dealer, water bump +thermostat
+flushing coolant and a few more flushing all trans, etc plus aliment, $1800 for water bump and thermostat+ the other things all together came up to $2500 after$300 discount, we went to pickup the car asked for discount and got the bill down to $1978.
very very disappointed about the quality of BMW, shame on them.

I went to the dealer i bought the used car from and requested they pay for the issue under the New York lemon law, waiting for them to get back to me.

I decided to buy extended warranty 5years/100k which comes first , covers almost everything(engine,turbocharge,trans,brakes,drive axle,steering,gasket,seals,brakes,electrical,a/c) , for $3700 plus tax comes up to $4000.

Do you think I did the right thing by getting warranty(already in two month and cost me $2500 to fix twice)? Is it a good price for the plan?

Anyone has any similar issues and experience etc..?

Found this article online" BMWs are reliable, but Japanese cars actually have a better track record. BMW models are officially rated “average” or “below average” by auto magazines and hobbyists. Though the company promises long intervals between servicing, the fact is that their turbocharged models often have more problems more often"
For reliability, it is below average according to Consumer Reports. The main problems occur in the electrical system and the cooling system for the engine. It rated even lower in the J.D. Power and Associates study, which gave the 2012 X5 just two out of five stars. This study found most problems in the electrical and cooling systems, as well as slight problems with the engine.So be aware BMW buyers !! My second car is a Honda and it drives and feels better than BMW!! And its half the BMW price brand new !