Used 2008 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews

Used X5 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...16

Pros
Cons

Better have deep pockets and patience.

Matthew eichmann, 03/27/2016
3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My 2008 X5 3.0 is a love hate relationship. One of my absolute favorite cars...the styling is amazing, the interior is simple but extremely well built. Power is smooth from the inline 6 engine, and the handling is like a sports car. But.....the least reliable car I have ever owned, by a long shot. Bought the car new, and at 90,000 miles I've had ...Radiator replaced ...coolant expansion tank ...valve cover gasket, twice! ...I drive controller ...water pump ...various gaskets that always amount to $1k each in labor ...Hydraulic sway bar ($2k just for the part alone) ...Valve cover ...Vanos solenoids Even after all that, I still enjoyed the car and did all the repairs. Til it developed a well known flaw of the 3.0 engine. Camshaft bearing failure. Which requires 25 hrs labor and a whole new cylinder head. Minimum $5k at a independent shop. More like $7k at the dealer. Suffice it to say that ended my love affair with the X5, and I traded it in. Great cars, but don't own one without a warranty, and better yet, another car to drive while it's in the shop. You'll need it.

water pump fail

beemerx5, 01/11/2012
3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought an '08 X5 6 cyl in Oct/2011 w/ a little over 48k miles, had it serviced while still under warranty, cracked air-intake boot replaced, faulty left mirror adj switch replaced, oil-gasket leak repaired & new brake pads & sensors replaced on all 4 - all warranty work. Then in Jan/2012 the elec water pump failed causing eng over-heat & the car automatically forced my wife to slow down. This, in itself to me, is quite dangerous, depending on what sort of traffic one might be in when this occurs. At the time, the car had just past 50k miles by 200 miles. We still got a free tow (under warranty) & BMW did pay for the water pump part, but not the pricy labor involved. This is our 1st BMW.

2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport

Harrison, 10/23/2015
4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I recently bought an X5 a few months ago with 90k miles. I have put about 12k miles on it sence I've owned it. everything seems to be working just fine, I took it for an oil change 2 months after I bought it and they said it had a slight oil leak from the main seal, they said it was nothing to be too concerned with but to keep my eye on it. this is the only problem I have ran into and from what I hear all bmw's have this problem or one similar. I honestly love my x5, I've never driven an suv that puts the power down and handles like a sports car. The ride quality is really nice, almost like floating on a cloud. The interior is nice, spacious and simple, everything is at your finger tips. Cargo space isn't bad, a little smaller than a Tahoe's. The valvetronic exhaust sounds really good when put into sport mode. The 20" sport rims and tires are a MUST, 20/275 in the front and 20/315 in the rear, really makes the X5 look mean and drive like a beast, Overall I would recommend this vehicle to someone, just get the vehicle checked out before you buy it.

2008 BMW 4.8i X5 Sport Pkg at 10 Yrs, 70K

keith, 02/13/2014
4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Almost an obsolete BMW, but drives as well as a lot of new cars, noting that I keep up the maintenance. Slight Update after seeing the review: 1) Safety is very good (not mediocre), and 2) We bought this car new and it is currently at about 80Kmi. No other changes. The X5 is of course a much heavier car, and that produces a refined ride that continues to be top flight. Battery needs replacement every 4 years or so - and when it fails it can be a rough experience. The car just stopped in a street on the last failure, a month ago. Very difficult towing situation. But we got it fixed easily enough after getting it to our Independent BMW service guys. Engine oil leaks continue to appear, they are obscenely $$$$ to fix. Our Independent BMW guy says there are so many seals that can fail, he doesn't want to list them. Every one of them is more than $1,000 to fix. So I'm budgeting another $3,000 over the next year just for leak repairs. Hopefully, this will calm down in future years. Bridgestone Dueler runflats are nearly as good as original Dunlops. But prices continue to climb. The OEM spec tires (20" RF W-rated) run $1,900 at Discount Tire. And we are only getting two years out of every 4-tire replacement, even though we only put about 7,500 miles per year on this car. Exterior and interior looks almost as good as original excepting driver's seat leather which is starting to show wear. Still looking OK after 12 years. I still expect to keep this car to at least 100 Kmi. After so much repair, we are hoping for a "few good years" of little cost beyond gas and insurance.

BEST CAR EVER OWNED

mvorules, 05/26/2015
3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I don't know what everyone else is talking about. I bought this car in 2012 with about 60,000 miles on it from the BMW certified preowned dealership. I now have about 93,000 miles on the car. I have had two problems with it. The first was, something attached to the bottom of the car became loose and made a slight rattling. Took that in, was about a $300 repair. I then had the coolant holder crack and that was about a $300 repair as well. Other than that, that's it. LOVE this car! Update: Im still madly in love with this car. I have now over 115,000 miles on it. It's going strong. But $$ is being thrown at it left and right. I've learned its in expensive car to maintain. Hopefully after about $2,000-$3,000 will keep it going for a while without visiting the BMW dealership.

12345...16