2017 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Not again
By Andrew

2017 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Purchased a 2017 new. Constant electrical issues. New "brain" at 8,000 miles and now same issue again at 30,000 miles. Bye bye BMW.

My first BMW SUV
By Rbgamer

2017 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had two other BMWs in the past and loved them. This is my first foray into BMWs SUV world. I have to say that I love this vehicle just as much if not more than my others. It is a medium size SUV but is engineered inside to provide maximum storage and comfort. With the upgrade to the 6 cylinder (which is the engine I am use to having), the fun to drive factor and performance is definitely still there. My family had to run from hurricane Irma and this was our vehicle of choice to do so because we could count on its reliability, mpg, and roominess for us to take our two dogs and other essentials.

Owned it for 2 hours and then brought it back.
By Pete R.

2017 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I owned this car for two hours. That's all. The X3 is a beautiful vehicle with a gorgeous interior. I especially like the dashboard design, the instrumentation and the interior lighting. I had been shopping for months for an X3 with the upgraded Harmon Kardon sound system because the base sound system is lousy, especially for a premium vehicle such as the X3. I found one, a nice '17 model with only 11K miles (the salesman couldn't tell me where the car came from, whether it was traded in or an off-lease, which I found surprising). I took it for a test drive, then I negotiated a decent price. During the test drive, I noticed the ride was firm, but it didn't seem overly so. The X3 comes with either Goodyear or Pirelli tires, and the ones with the Goodyear tires seem to ride a bit smoother, although both brands are run-flat tires since the X3 doesn't come with a spare. During the time I was signing papers, I was surprised to find out that the warranty is very limited and in fact, they give you a four-page document listing everything that is NOT covered. That was kind of an eye-opener. Once I signed all the papers, I spent about 40 minutes with a young man who reviewed all the options and features with me. It was a bit overwhelming, but I figured with time it would all make sense. Once I left the lot, the trouble started. The first thing I noticed was that I felt every crack and bump in the road. The ride was jarring and uncomfortable. Then, once I hit about 70MPH on the highway, I heard a whistling sound coming from the area of the sunroof. Uh-oh. "Is this why it was traded in so soon", I wondered. Then, I tried to listen to a song from my iPhone, but it wouldn't play, I fiddled with every logical option to get it to play, but no luck. I was miserable, thinking I had made a big mistake trading in my trusty '13 RAV4 for this rough-rider. Once I got home, I sat in the driveway and wondered what to do. Would I get used to it or was a making a compromise that would prove difficult to live with? I decided the latter and promptly returned to the dealership. Luckily, they had not registered it in my name yet, so after some probing questions from the salesman and the manager, they refunded my deposit, tore up the paperwork and gave me back my RAV4. I felt relieved and feel that I made the right decision. My advice is to take the car, any car, for a long test drive before making the decision to buy. And, if something doesn't seem right, trust your instinct.

John s toy
By John

2017 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Good insurance breaks

Love the X3
By Kathleen Nordin

2017 BMW X3 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Perfect size - not to big or small. Love all the technology - satellite orientation including view for parking. Love the BMW ap for ease in destination info from my calendar. Love the “heads up” info in the drivers view on the front window. Very comfortable seating w/ plenty of room in the back seat. Includes CarPlay for integration with my iPhone! Best of all our experience with purchasing the vehicle at BMW was exceptional - no “car salesmen” mentality or pressure. Appreciated the visit with their BMW ‘Genius” to go over all the technology and bells/whistles. He answered all our questions and went over everything in approachable manner. Driving the X3 is a great experience.