2018 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Fun, comfortable, and zippy but the options add up
By Cindy G.

2018 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought the 540i after having an M3 for the past 20 years. While I loved my M3, it became a maintenance nightmare and I needed something to replace it that would still be fun to drive, a little more comfortable, and have more room. I got the 540i with M5 sport package and brakes, parking assistant, driving assistant I. I also got the multi-contour seats and the Harmon-Kardon radio. The car had some things I didn't want but came with this particular car (the what I call "call batman" light which is shining the BMW logo on the ground from the door when you open it, the $50 first aid kit (come on - tiny with bandages and that's about it), and leather dashboard. What I like so far: the ride is comfortable, and the car is still sporty. Not as sporty or nimble as the M3, but the 6-cylinder provides good acceleration that still makes the car fun to drive, especially in Sport mode. I took the car on a fast, curvy road with traffic (Highway 17 for those who know it around Santa Cruz to San Jose) and I was happy with the performance. The front seats are cavernous - which is great because I have a 21 year old 6'-1" 280 lb son who did not fit in the M3. I love the 360 degree camera and the blind spot indicators. I wanted the multi-contour seats because I read they were the best in terms of adjustments. And they are except it took me a couple months to get the adjustment right - there's too much to adjust so it was too easy to lean too far back, or have the seat too high, or the lumbar too high or too much, etc. I wasn't comfortable, but kept adjusting little by little until it finally felt good. The self-parking feature is great when it works, but turns out to parallel park, you need to park having a car in the front and in the back (it needs to find a car in the front, so if it's a space where you are parking in front of a car but there's no car in front of that, it won't work). I like the heated seats, but don't understand why it didn't also give the option for a heated steering wheel (or maybe that's an option, but my car didn't have it). The auto climate control works fine, the auto rain sensing windshield wiper setting works fine, and I like the run flat tires (already got a nail in a tire). There's a ton of room in the trunk. Things I don't like: like another reviewer, the speedometer is off once it gets above 60 mph - when it says 80, it's really going about 75. For a car as large as this is, I wish there was more leg room in the rear - perhaps I lose more with the multi-contour seats, but there's not quite enough for someone 6'. The Volvo S90 had lots of rear leg room, but it wasn't as fun to drive. The navigation system isn't very good - keeps taking me weird ways to get places - I've switched back to using Waze on my cell phone. Some people might like the heads-up display, but I found it annoying and turned it off. Can't say anything about repair, have only had the car 2 months so no problems.

Comfort and Performance Excel
By Bill Beegle

2018 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The 530i Sedan has a very comfortable ride. We make long 500+ mile trips and the ride is amazing. With the standard 4 cylinder engine, the gas mileage is 33+ on trips. This is exceptional for a sedan. Traded in our 2011 528i, which we had super reliability, for the 2018 530i and are not disappointed again. We feel the front seats are comfortable for us. The controls take some time to get used to but having the 2011 528i made it less of a problem.

10513 and 7408 miles on Two (2) different 540i
By Michael

2018 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought two of these cars. Both have extremely inaccurate speedometers that the dealer nor BMW will correct; 4% FAST. Both have the annoying auto start stop system that after July 2017 is on by default each time you start the car. Neither the dealer or BMW will disable this system and it makes parking the car a major headache with the engine stopping and starting with brake pedal action. Worst of all both of my cars are “using” engine coolant. My car has required two reservoirs full in 10513 miles ; my wife’s car one reservoir full in 7408 miles. You can’t smell coolant so it’s leaking internally. Am awaiting a recall just like BMW did for 1.6 million vehicles leaking coolant through the EGR system. Other than these things the cars are nice, comfortable and performance is top notch. 3-series cars drive and handle better based on the one I drove as a loaner during my 10k mile scheduled service. These cars feel mushy in comparison. The tire pressure monitoring system is also extremely annoying because once you put the correct amount of air in the tires, you have to reset it and drive 5 miles for it to shut up telling you that the air pressure is low. I’ve had Lincolns that were just as good as this car and not nearly as annoying with the technology overkill. BMW also needs to learn to listen to their customers and put them first rather than ignore what they say, and they need to learn to package options like US automakers have been doing. It’s a shame that blindspot monitoring is a option rather than part of a package or standard on a $70,000 car. If I had it to do over I would have kept my 2011 Lincoln MKS, and bought my wife a new Lincoln Continental Black Label.

Much better than previous models
By Third 5 series

2018 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The size of this model is much roomier than previous. Car is very smooth to drive and ride comfort is excellent. Car is very close to perfect if you are looking for a high quality 4 door sedan with great gas mileage.

Powerful car
By Atom

2018 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I enjoy drive this car.