Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Piece of Crap
By Nick Neysari

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I fell in love with this car. I had the best of the both word, A luxury car wrapped into sports package. Sadly enough, Later on I learned of multiple issues with N63 engines. It is an engineering nightmare. N63 engine is a V8 4.4 liter engine. Trying to save space, The design team decided to place the Turbos in the V section of a already hot running engine. With combination of heat from engine and twin turbos They had to install a fan to cool things down. They came to the realization of Fan working over time and the hot engine is very thirsty for oil. So most owners have to add a quart of oil anywhere from 700 to 1000 miles. BMW came back with recommendation of changing the oil every 10000 mile instead of 15000. And to add insult to the injury they also recommend replacing the battery with every oil change. Although the pressure was high on BMW they still refuse to do a recall to resolve the issue. There is a class action lawsuit which sadly is ready to be settled. As always the attorneys get the multi million dollar settlement and consumer gets the shaft. According to what I have read so far, BMW will reimburse owners for the cost of additional oil consumption and a battery replacement. You will also get a $1000 to $1500 voucher towards the purchase of a new BMW. So you can be the proud owner of a newer piece of CRAP. Also the short block n63 engine replacement price is now $3000.00 which is a rebuild engine and according to BMW insiders It is just as awful as the original N63 engine. So if you are considering purchasing a 5 series BMW, Make sure you do your homework. I am sitting on a $35000.00 piece of lemon parked in the garage. I am scared of driving it and no one is offering me over $12K for trade in. So stay away from this engine or any other BMW with Turbo engine.

Buyer beware
By Doingitright

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Be ready to spend lots on repairs..

550 Powerhouse
By Greg

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Powerful car that will not disappoint in comfort

Very Dissapointed in BMW
By OM92399

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

This is my second BMW and I have never had so many problems with a car that is supposed to be the "Ultimate Driving machine". It's more like The Ultimate Disappointment machine, where do I start!!! My car has 110k miles now and in the 6+ years I've had issues or replaced, the battery (this is ok regular maintenance i guess), radiator, transmission 2x, tire sensor module, valve cover gasket, and replacing headlight bulbs every year. Keep in mind its never been in an accident, I only drive it to work and back (30 miles a day) and I don't drive all crazy or race in it just do normal driving. I would get rid of it but I finished paying it off and I love how this car looks and drives. Unfortunately I'm finding out I'm not alone I have other friends with different models who have had similar problems especially with their transmissions. My first BMW started having issues with the transmission as well but it was a lease so I was able to return that car. That car only had about 20k miles when I returned it and I left it looking like new. Then I bought my current 528i and my problems really started after the warranty expired. I always wanted to buy a BMW its been my dream car and my way of saying I made it but if I knew I was going to have this many problems I would've just bought another Honda. My first car was a Honda Accord which my parents bought me with the understanding I continue my education and wouldn't have to worry about payments unless I could take them over, eventually I got a job and payed that car off. That car lasted me 11+ years and was still running till someone crashed into while parked on the street. Even crashed it still ran like new and this was a $20k car. Now my $70k is back in the shop because the transmission is jerking luckily the mechanic is honoring the warranty so I won't have to pay anything this time around. Anyways very disappointed in BMW because it sounds like I'm not alone with these problems. Still love the car though unfortunately I'm now looking for a truck I'm done with BMWs. :(

Great looking HORRIBLE reliability! N63 engine
By Fred

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This car is absolutely fantastic in execution. The majestic styling, terrific handling, and fantastic materials. Otherwise it's a reliability nightmare. Everything that can go wrong with this car can and has. The V8 engine has tremendous power but has nightmarish reliability woes ie; timing chain issues, valve stem seals, pcv issues, burning a quart of oil every 500 miles...etc. Steer clear of this cat, I wish I had. Oh yeah, HORRIBLE fuel economy.