Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used 5 Series for Sale
Select your model:
12345...21

Pros
Cons

Piece of Crap

Nick Neysari, 08/12/2018
550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I fell in love with this car. I had the best of the both word, A luxury car wrapped into sports package. Sadly enough, Later on I learned of multiple issues with N63 engines. It is an engineering nightmare. N63 engine is a V8 4.4 liter engine. Trying to save space, The design team decided to place the Turbos in the V section of a already hot running engine. With combination of heat from engine and twin turbos They had to install a fan to cool things down. They came to the realization of Fan working over time and the hot engine is very thirsty for oil. So most owners have to add a quart of oil anywhere from 700 to 1000 miles. BMW came back with recommendation of changing the oil every 10000 mile instead of 15000. And to add insult to the injury they also recommend replacing the battery with every oil change. Although the pressure was high on BMW they still refuse to do a recall to resolve the issue. There is a class action lawsuit which sadly is ready to be settled. As always the attorneys get the multi million dollar settlement and consumer gets the shaft. According to what I have read so far, BMW will reimburse owners for the cost of additional oil consumption and a battery replacement. You will also get a $1000 to $1500 voucher towards the purchase of a new BMW. So you can be the proud owner of a newer piece of CRAP. Also the short block n63 engine replacement price is now $3000.00 which is a rebuild engine and according to BMW insiders It is just as awful as the original N63 engine. So if you are considering purchasing a 5 series BMW, Make sure you do your homework. I am sitting on a $35000.00 piece of lemon parked in the garage. I am scared of driving it and no one is offering me over $12K for trade in. So stay away from this engine or any other BMW with Turbo engine.

buyer beware!

citroen3, 06/29/2011
550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought a 2011 550i Xdrive in late 2010, within the last six weeks I have had; 4 runflat tires (on 19inch wheels) go bust over fairly minor pot holes. they were 4 unrelated incidents. Cost to replace, just shy of $2000. Last week my car with about 10,500 miles on the clock, broke down on the highway, message 'transmission malfunction'. One tow and 5 days, later I got it back with the rear differential replaced. One day after I got it back from the local BMW dealer, new warning '4 by 4 chassis stabilisation malfunction contact your BMW dealer , do not brake hard' Given that this fully loaded, nearly $70,000 car is completely unreliabe, I am seriouly thinking of getting rid of it.

n63 Engine is nothing but trouble.

Telp Snowbeard, 07/16/2017
550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a bad engine. Google it. Constant engine light issues of "Crankcase Failure". These messages are related to bad engine parts like fuel injectors and sensors. I had to replace head cover gaskets, turbo pan gaskets and other gaskets. Car is a repair nightmare. Only 41K miles and way too many problems. Unreliable.

No BMW USA Service Support

blunt1, 09/14/2011
550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

While my salesman was one of the most knowledgeable salesman I have ever encountered, I was reassured that this very expensive investment would receive any service and support it needed. I drove the car off of the lot with a warning message regarding the electrical system. Two trips back to the dealer I finally get a new battery. Second trip back I explained that the road noise and pulling to the right was excessive. Their response was, "well its just the sports suspension", and nothing we can do. Third trip was concern about a quart of oil added every 7,000 miles. Nothing they can do. Now I need $2200 in tires, and the car leaks. No support for this lemon of a car.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Disappointed, 07/04/2016
550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Purchased my 550xi 8 months ago. Thinking I bought a newer reliable car. I Love Bimmers and don't wanna drive anything else but this car is a PIECE OF CRAP!!! 2 months after buying it the turbos went and the car engine started smoking. Car had extended warranty and dealer took care of the problem and also replaced the water pump and timing chain. They had it for a month. Read up on the internet from different owners that this is a Major problem. Now 5 months later the new set of problems is happening. Sitting in the middle of traffic the car starts sputtering and shaking then finally shuts off. All kinds of Drivetrain Malfunction, fuel sensor warnings start going off on the dash. Called the dealer and they took care of the problem. Said it needed to be reprogrammed. A week and 1/2 later "Same Problem". Dealer said bring it back (reprogram issue) all takin care of for free. Picked it up and 30 minutes later the SAME PROBLEM! Now dealer has my car for 5 days. Doing more reading up on this and this is another Major problem with this car. The engines in these cars and every other car it was used in were faulty. Finding that once car is outta warranty this could cost up to $6000 a pop for these problems. Plus occasionally the oil indicator comes on saying it was low. Another problem with this car. Now i see why this car was "discontinued". Dealer service reps have been Great but I have a lemon and you will to if you buy this car. Please Beware of this cars engine 2010-2012 &13. For someone who has only owned Bimmers this is sad that they put this product on the market in their name.

12345...21