Used 2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Bmw
By Ray Gorski

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car

Love the car, don’t like the repair expenses
By TJC

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a great car. It has great acceleration, a smooth,quiet ride and gives you confidence as it holds the road. I drive a lot of miles with my job and I just love being in this car. My car has many miles on it and I am thinking of a new vehicle, but am scared that whatever I get will not measure up to this. What I don’t like is the repairs. I have literally had to replace every one of the injectors and high pressure pumps. Now most of this was covered under warranty, but BMW knew there was an issue, but would not proactively replace these, so every time one went, I would have to limp one hour to the dealership to get the repairs. If you cannot stomach $1000 repairs etc, this car is not for you. I honestly love BMWs , but may not be considering one due to the exorbitant cost of repairs and maintenance. I absolutely hate going to my dealership as they try to gouge you every time you go there.

Bad transmission and other problems
By Gary Pearson

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2009 BMW 528 i is a dissppointment to say the least. First the back window motor went out so I drive now with a window that is tied so it won't go down then I got a brake job and the next day the transmission failure light goes on with only 76000 miles everyone else I read said theirs didn't go out until around 100 thousand or more and I heard repairs can be $6 grand or more on a car only worth $8 grand, not worth it to fix it if its a major transmission problem. I have a cheap Toyota Corolla with over 200 thousand miles running strong so I spent twice as much on a used BMW about 5 years ago to have it go out sooner then a cheaper car. Now the battery is out as I did not run it for a few weeks and it won't charge, fed up

Lives Up to Its Reputation
By Kurt

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a beast; a wolf in sheep's clothing. I had a chance to drive it through windy VT mountain roads, including on the southern descent from Middlebury Gap (near Middlebury Snow Bowl) on Rt. 125. Those familiar with that route know how steep and windy those roads are. My wife's 5-series handled them with aplomb. I was very impressed. My wife bought this car with 48k miles on it back in 2012, certified pre-owned. The 5-series was her dream car, and this particular vehicle has served her well. The body has stayed in great shape, despite several scratches and dents it has incurred over the years. The interior has held up and endured our spills and messes. There have been no crazy repairs needed, and it drives as good as the day we procured it. Over time, its looks have grown on me. I have come to really appreciate its driving characteristics, and can see why Edmunds had proclaimed it as close to a perfect car as you could buy back in 2009. We have never put snow tires on it for winter, yet never had any problems in the snow, thanks to the xDrive. Currently at approximately 120k miles, this car shows no signs of slowing down. My reverence for it has never been higher. As tempted as we are to trade it in for a newer BMW, we just have no reason to. I can't wait to enjoy this car for more years to come.

Great Car, Wishful Thinking Too much hipe?
By Great Car, Wishful Thinking!

2009 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

2009 BMW 535i idrive w/sport pkg. By April 2017, had only 60,000 driven. Very disappointed with this ultimate driving machine. For me it was an "ultimate nightmare machine." Started with--heating system, passenger freezing, driver boiling up (heater master control on driver side). After warranty expired in 2013 to 2017, almost four years, been stranded twice; had changed all four tires; changed fuel pump, tank and sensors; replaced the battery, and the battery clamp and cable, and replaced the passenger seat belt and airbag which was shorted out by the water leaked into the battery chamber in the trunk; fixed oil leak on the oil filter housing gasket, and counting. Paying almost $70k for this car I Do expect it to be more durable. As I would not expect a $100.00 suit to last as a $500 suit so I except 553i to be more durable than a $30k's.
Update:
The MOST disappointing is the trade in value was just $10,000 was all the dealer paid what a useless 535-BMW. Never Again will I make the same mistake....