Used 2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used 5 Series for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...30

Pros
Cons

Must own one of these cars, if you buy it used

Eric, 08/11/2016
530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

So basically this car is my favorite material possession. AND I am not a car nut. I really like this car. We bought ours used in Colorado for $16K. It had 92,000 miles on it. I had it inspected by a BMW dealership for about $300. They tore through it and found some issues. The electronic cable sleeve between the computer and the transmission. It typically leaks every 100K. It was leaking. The shocks were bad. And the coolant system had a leak. I bought the car after some further negotiations. It was in the shop quickly for a radiator replacement, a lower radiator supply hose, a worn out wheel bearing, shocks, and new tires. That was about $3000. We had about $19k into this car with 105,000 miles on it. Regret started to sink into our minds. But since then the car has just had maintenance visits. I replaced the coil over ignition plugs at 180,000(they lasted 80k more than BMW says they should). I changed the oil every 7k, it does eat 1 qt of oil every 7000 miles. I just deal with that. I put continental contipro contact tires on it. This car powers through corners now. It drives through 12" of snow and heavy rains with NO problems. Folks this car is reliable if you take care of it. The car must go to a great mechanic who knows BMW's. Don't skimp on non-OEM parts. Go to Bavarian autosport for parts if you want to DYI the repairs. The car may the basic 6 buts fast. So fast. Faster than our 2009 BMW X5 with the turbo diesel. I am at 196,000 miles now and I have no intention of selling it. In fact I might just buy another 06-08 BMW 530xi. New technology be damned.

My 4th BMW and the best one!

Olivier Gosse, 03/27/2016
530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 530i is well designed and the overall reliability is good. Beyond 150K miles, I started having some oil leaks but it's all fixable. Over 150K miles. the original radiator was replaced, a rear window actuator replaced around 60 Kmiles and the regular brakes were replaced front and back every 30 to 40K miles. Spark plugs replaced every 100K miles. DTML pump was replaced around 90K miles. The coolant tank was replaced around 120K miles but this car is solid and performs well month after month. The starter was replaced at 148K miles as well as a front wheel(crack in the metal). The microfilter needs a change every 30K miles and the trunk actuator had to be replaced at 165,000 Miles. It has 179K miles and it's still going strong! I religiously get an oil service every 7,500 miles + visual inspection. The external body still looks great but the car spends its nights in a covered garage. Total maintenance costs(incl. $3,800 100K warranty) = $18.425(incl. 4 sets of tires) up to date.

Great car and great value (if purchased used)

klrsmile, 01/16/2012
550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased an '06 with 48k on it - a CPO car with some protection (and maintenance) remaining on the warranty. Sticker was $64k in 2006, and I was fortunate to purchase the car for under $22k from a BMW dealer in Houston. What can I say? The car has amazing performance and handling, with stock 18" rims and Yokahama run flats (odd, since there is a spare). Suspension is a bit stiff for an everyday driver, so says my wife, however, it allows the corners to be straightened out a bit when you get the nerve. Rear leg room is A+ and trunk space is huge. I-drive not too bad once used to it, but could have been made friendlier.

Great looking car with performance that matches

Lawrence Katzenstein, 08/19/2015
530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car three years ago and I've generally been quite satisfied. It gets decent mileage overall and over 30mpg on the road. New passengers not aware of the brand will often ask what kind of car it is because it's so comfortable. Since the car has had very little wear its frequently confused with a newer car since the basic body design remained the same until 2010. It does have some flaws. One of these is that the I-Drive computer occasionally doesn't boot at start up and leaves me without a radio until it does. The parking radar often takes a while to shut off after leaving a parking space. However in the basics like comfort and performance the car is great. I did purchase an extended drive train warranty, but I've recently had a large number of systems fail in short order including the water pump, purge valve, and transmission pan and filter. There's also the standard German oil leak which is so minuscule that I've chosen not to fix it. My mechanic and I both think that this bad period will pass and that the car will remain reliable so I'm currently still positive about it. It's a great machine. Addendum: On the positive side I've just been in an accident where I was broadsided by a driver who didn't try to stop. He must have been doing at least 65 in a 45 speed limit zone. The car lost a fender and deployed the side but not front airbags. I lost one fender and little else. I walked away without a scratch. Very impressive! The only negative about this car and other BMWs is that some systems are unique so it's hard to find a mechanic who will work on one other than the dealer. Nevertheless, performance and now safety are excellent.

Older BMWs are not the best economic proposition

Doobster, 12/01/2017
530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

So in my original review I went on and on about how buying this pristine, well maintained example of the best 5-series ever was the best car buying decision I ever made. The car IS fantastic and runs terrific, but it’s costing me a small fortune to keep it running that way. Read the last update below. UPDATE; 18 MONTHS LATER... I LOVE IT EVEN MORE. This remains the best car I’ve ever owned. I used to say that my 2004 (first gen) Cadillac CTS-V (aka; ‘four door Corvette’) was the most satisfying car I had ever owned but now this car has that crown too. Awesome!! UPDATE; 24 MONTHS LATER... I’ve put the car up for sale. I’ve owned it now for two years and it’s cost me $3,000 already in repairs and maintenance and it wants another $2,000 in preventive maintenance that doesn’t seem to prevent anything. I found an article online on the ‘YourMechanic’ website that absolutely nailed the typical BMW annual maintenance costs at $1,800 per year and escalating as they age. When I bought this ‘needle in a stack of needles’ two years ago I thought I had beaten the system; buying a like new $61k BMW for peanuts. I guess it depends on your expectations; I searched for a 530Xi specifically because it has none of the turbo and piezo injector and HPFP issues that plagued my 335 xi. I thought it would suck less money out of me. It turns out that there’s no such thing as a BMW that won’t suck you dry. $5,000 in three years is half what I paid for the car two years ago and sadly, only $1,500 less than what it’s currently worth. BMWs that are out of warranty should only be owned by very wealthy people, or DIY mechanics, neither of which I am. That same article also identified all three Toyota brands as the most trouble-free, reliable and least expensive brands to own. So I bought a Lexus ‘needle’ instead. As much as I enjoy driving a well-sorted older BMW, I will never own another one again. As far as used vehicles are concerned, they are way more expensive trouble than they are worth. The 2013 Lexus ES300 hybrid handles as well, rides better, gets 40 mpg, and will need next to nothing to maintain. Sayonara BMW, hello Lexus! 36 MONTHS LATER Wanting to get back into an AWD vehicle I sold the Lexus ES300h hybrid ‘needle’ I found and replaced it with a 2017 Infiniti QX50 compact SUV. BIG SURPRISE!!! This little rig handles and carves corners as well as my 2008 BMW 335xi but rides as well as this 2005 BMW 530xi!! It’s the best possible blend of both. Plus it has an 18 cu ft ‘trunk’ that expands to 50 cu ft with the seats down, way more advanced tech (I found a ‘fully loaded’ model) and it GOES LIKE A ROCKET having 325 HP! Like all SUVs it is easier to get in and out of and has a better seating position. The model was redesigned in 2016 to add more length and inches for back-seat passengers so four people over 6 ft can ride comfortably. Mediocre mpg (18/27) is its only demerit. Of ALL the cars I’ve ever driven, this little jewel combines the absolute best amalgamation of all of their best features and capabilities. And since it also has their advanced tech package (LDW, LDA, BLIS, FCA, FCA, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, BOSE audio) I am wanting for nothing that the newer cars offer. This car will likely be the ‘keeper’ that fits my newly retired status perfectly!! The most important take-away for readers of this review is that it’s possible to buy a far more reliable, and less costly-to-maintain, vehicle that can compare VERY WELL to the BMWs’ vaunted chassis dynamics and performance but without the ownership headaches. It may not have the blue-and-white roundel on the hood, but then again, the Infiniti brand is no slouch either. Lastly, for anyone so intrigued by this particular alternative, know that Infiniti completely changed this model in 2019. The car I now own ended production in the 2017 model year as a RWD chassis platform; the 2019 is now a FWD chassis architecture. For those drivers who can appreciate the superiority of the RWD chassis dynamics you will definitely want the previous model, not the newer one. Furthermore, you’ll want a 2016 or 2017 to get the extra seating room the stretched wheelbase provides. Don’t get me wrong, the 2019s and newer QX50s are excellent vehicles; my wife has one!! They’re even bigger, roomier and have more cargo capacity, and also feature Infiniti’s new VARIABLE COMPRESSION engine which truly is an engineering marvel. We saw 31 highway mpg on a recent trip!! But it’s not the driver’s car the older model is. If driving enjoyment is your preference, hunt down the previous generation car. I think you’ll be amazed at how good these cars are!!!

12345...30