Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 334 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun Ride, but prepare for frequent maintenance
By michael roma

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I always remembered having love for BMW's. After years of wanting one, I was finally able to when my grandfather was finally selling his (black 325i sedan with 111k miles) after buying a newer 3 series. For $2,500, he gave me a great deal because he kept it in great condition. After purchasing it in August 2016, I took it down to college (400 miles away). Even though it has a firmer ride than my former '01 accord, the ride is still comfortable on long journeys. (If one finds the ride uncomfortable on long trips, take the back roads route and forget about comfort when you have a big smile on your face from discovering the sublime road handling on twisty unknown turns, away from zoned out interstate cruise-controlled journeys.) Mileage: Decent for a 6-cyl (I avg. 450 hwy miles on 1 tank) Under avg. for city driving (My lead foot doesn't help) The Bad: The wave of random component break-downs began in sept 2016, having to replace the alternator. Before driving back home for winter break in dec., the driver door window is stuck down. I cover it with plastic and drive 400 miles. Then during winter break (Dec-Jan), I went ahead and replaced the window motor and regulator myself. THEN, 2 days later, the rear passenger window regulator fails. I repair and replace it myself again. AND THEN, the 3 month old alternator takes a crap went ahead and replaced it myself again..(Being somewhat mechanically knowledgeable, I figured i could save a lot of money on repairs a shop would charge) As of now, July2017, it is sitting at the mechanic. It recently started misfiring and wouldn't run for more than a minute. I replaced a bad valve cover gasket, spark plugs. After that didn't solve the problem i took it to the mechanic, and I've had to have them replace ignition coil boots, injector, fuel filter, fuel pump, and mass airflow sensor. But tomorrow, the maf sensor will be installed, and they believe (hopefully) that will be the last thing needed to make her run smooth again. Summary: For $2.5K, it was initially great value for a lower mileage luxury sports sedan. There are honda civics the of the same year and mileage in that price range. The obvious and inevitable lack of reliability is common for these bmws, most are reliable, a lot are not, and some unfortunately run into a lot of problems like my example. Therefore, it's a good thing to have some mechanic know-how when owning one. If you enjoy working on your cars, this one is actually quite easy to learn about and work on. Even though i was expecting to experience problems, I was shocked as to how bad it has been because my grandfather kept it in great shape, and had a reputable mechanic perform mandatory and regular maintenance. I have continued to (try to) keep it in good shape and keep it maintained. I don't know, it must be just bad luck. I still love it though, and I am going to continue to own and enjoy it after i get it fixed.

Get this one if you are looking for a safe car.
By agoudy

2002 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first car, purchased it used, and I had it for exactly one month. The car itself overpowered my abilities as a new driver, and I would suggest that only experienced drivers use this car! The brakes were spongy, despite being new performance brakes. I had to really slam on them in order to get the car to stop. The car has a nice, comfortable interior and the controls are a little counter intuitive at first (being a German car) but you will adjust quickly. Also, the leather interior will split at the seams if not taken care of. Overall a nice car for someone who appreciates good handling and a balanced, powerful car. ***I was in a 40 mph head on collision in this car. I ran it directly into a tree. I totaled the car, but came out of the accident unscathed. I had some minor burns on my arms from the air bag, and a mild concussion, but I was otherwise kept safe. The air bags deployed properly, and the car crumpled as it should have. The passenger cab of the vehicle was kept in tact and I had no issues getting out of the car. If safety is a priority for you, I can tell you from first hand experience that this car will keep you safe.***

Just keeps on ticking...
By XGI

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Long time owner
By L B

2002 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my 325 do convertible for more than 10 years and I've kept up with the maintenance. I've rarely had to make repairs on the car. As I've gotten older it's hard to get in and out of, but other than that, it's been the best car ever!

Pretty & fun car but unreliable!
By T.Mk1

2002 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car was fun to drive and pretty to look at. HOWEVER, the frequency of breakdowns was relentless. I didn't mind the repair costs, but the fact that this car broke down so many times was stressful. I was stranded on the road 3 times! I did the repairs myself, but the parts I bought for it added up to be $3000. If labor was added, it would've been close to $7000. Here is a list of things that I remember I had to replace on this car: Vacuum lines, secondary air pump, secondary air valve, vacuum solenoid, crankcase valve, control arm bushings, antifreeze reservoir, auxiliary fan, radiator fan, blower motor resistor, 2 window regulators, windshield wiper motor, windshield cowl, fuel filler cap, MAF sensor, camshaft sensor, DISA valve. It was also burning oil every 2000 miles. All of these parts failed within 1 year of owning this car, it had only 120,000 miles. It's true what they say, they are endless money pits. You have been warned. Lesson learned.