Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 248 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

My wife's car - she alway wanted a convertible
By Forrest Joseph

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wife wanted a convertible, told her I would not be forking out $50K-%60K for a new one, she would just have to settle for used. She really didnt want to look for a used one but she reluctantly agreed. Dragged her around to a lot of place to look at kind of a variety of used convertibles. Towards the end of the day, she said she didn't like a one of them we saw and wanted to go home. I said, okay, one last one to look at, she didn't want to, but reluctantly agreed. This last one was a 2001 BMW 325Ci convertible, body in as close to mint condition as one could expect for a used car, silver with dark blue top, tan interior. Once she got behind the wheel and the test drive was done she said "This baby is mine!!!". Now I did have to put a couple of bucks into the car to take care of some stuff that I believe the previous owner had neglected but since then, I am impressed by this car. It handles great, good acceleration for an engine of its size (actually seems to purr best when going quite a bit faster than the posted speed limit - :) Styling is classic and not dated. Did add an in dash navi with backup camera, still want to get a blind spot monitor for the rear once I find a suitable one with audio and visual signals that works well and does not cost an arm and a leg, have adjusted the outside mirrors as best I can to eliminate blind spots but there is little warning when an aggressive driver comes out of nowhere on you. There are two other systems that I still need to go thru on the car, that would be a complete brake system and want to have the suspension completely gone thru. The car is 17 years old but the 22K we have put on it since we got it, it just seems to run better and better the more we drive it. Maybe some folks have had less than favorable experience with their used BMW 3 series, but perhaps its the luck of the draw in buying a used one. Lastly, the best compliment that we have gotten on the car (had put 3 coats of Maquires on it and machine buffed each coat - was looking sharp) is when I drove up to Annapolis and someone was showing off their bright red Ferrari and I notice that owner was intently eyeballing our BMW as we drove slowly by.

great car ... even for old broads
By judy

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

have checked out by a mechanic....I did and he wanted to buy it...said it's a keeper !!

Bought off teenager!!
By Missy

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My son graduated Hs and needed a newer car he bought this used obviously. Well It wasn't "cool" enough so he was going to trade it for half the price he paid! I said I'll take it! I've had it 4 years now. I bought it for $4000 I've spent $1200 in repairs total. It does currently need rear struts but I'm trading it in. Find a nice mechanic - tell him your not rich and they can charge you reg prices if they want to! Don't let them bs you saying this is a bmw!! One great thing you can find almost every part and info online in bimmer forums! Air cond quit- was $50 part I could do myself - thanks forum! Drives like a dream, hugs the road! It's moody, and always leaks oil like a harley! I have 109,000 miles on it. No regrets cost me $5200 -including repairs for 4 years!

2001 BMW 325i 4dr 5-speed Automatic
By jdktchkov@gmail.com

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2010 and had it in my possession until 2014. In that time I drove about 50,000 miles. Overall the experience with the car was great. Highway MPG was around 32, with city being a lot lower thanks to the thirsty straight six. The car was by no means a race car, but very on the highway and I never had issues passing cars or trucks. Most of my miles were highways, with a few fun drives in the mountains. Overtime I did need to put some work in it, had a small radiator issue that I was able to fix myself, replacing a release valve screw for $5. But, as the car got older, I ran into further issues. Once my keys died, stopped charging in the ignition, I managed to pull out the locking mechanism after using the key manually. Needed to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, front control arms, the windshield cowling, and breaks. But this, over a 4 year time span wasn't too bad. Towards the end, at around 195,000 miles, the vehicle was going to need a few thousand dollars worth of upkeep and I chose to get rid of it instead. Lastly, the interior pillar cloth started to fall off around 170,000 miles.

They just don't make them like this anymore.
By browneyedbro

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 330ci in 2009 with 49k on it. It was in mint condition, it looked great and not a scratch on it. What sold me was the sound of the engine when the salesman turn it on. It has a deep penetrating rumble that you would not expect from a car that size. When I looked under the hood the straight line six seemed like it went on for days. This car is heavy and when you hit the curves on the turn ram it sticks like a magnet. It is very responsive and handles like a dream. It is not the fastest car that I have ever driven but is fun to drive and always gets a lot of attention. The bad thing about this car is the fuel consumption. It drinks gas like BUD LIGHT. That is because of the steel frame. You will need to be in a tank before you find a safer ride. The BMW mechanics tell me never get rid of this one.