Used 2016 BMW 2 Series M235i Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 2 Series model:

Like a Rocket!
By Patty

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i M235i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Love my car as much today as the day I picked it up! Rocket handles beautifully and I always feel very safe in this car. BMW really provides good customer experience that doesn't end when you first leave the lot with your new car. I unfortunately don't drive alot but when I do, its always fun. I have garaged and protected this car, its still in new condition.

Very Good Car, But 135 is Better
By socalh2oskier

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i M235i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I leased a 2013 135i convertible with M Sport for three years. It is a great car. It was zippy and fun to drive. It was comfortable. I should have kept it, but at the end of the lease, the residual was much higher than the current market price, so I turned it in and purchased an M235i convertible, figuring it would be an "upgrade" to the 135. BIG MISTAKE. Although the M235i is a nice car, it is not near as much fun as the 135. The main reason for this is the electric steering. The electric steering on the M235i is simply numb. Also, even though the M235i is only 3 inches longer and one inch wider than the 135, it drives like a much bigger car--more akin to a 3 series. It lacks that zippy feel that you get with the 135.

As a whole, the M235 is a nice car. It has a nicer interior, it feels more roomy inside, it has a much improved navigation system, and it has a backup camera. The seats are comfortable, but the seats in the 135 are better. The M235i comes standard with non-runflat tires, which is a huge improvement (first thing I did when I got my 135 was switch out the run-flats for non-run-flats). The M235 has adjustable dampers, which I almost never use, but some might see this as a benefit. Gas mileage is significantly better on the highway--30-31 vs about 25 with the 135, but gas mileage in town is pretty bad--I average around 12-14 in city driving.

The M235 is a decent car, but I miss the much better steering and feel from the 135. The 135 drives like a much smaller car than the M235i, and is more likely to plaster a permanent grin on your face. I also think the 135 convertible looks better with the top down--it has cleaner and simpler lines and the wheels look much better than the dark gray wheels on the M235i--but this is a matter of personal taste, and I understand that some might prefer the newer look.

Overall, the "improvements" to this model do not make up for the incredibly numb and lackluster steering. If you're considering the M235i, you might pause and look for a good used 135 instead. I wish I would have kept mine.

Great toy
By idc

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i M235i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The car is a great toy for the mid life crisis male without kids to haul around anymore. Great performance without being too flashy, very practical for the day to day use, can be both a regular commute car and the car to have fun with. Hits the sweet spot for me of practicality, comfort and features, power, convenience and fuel economy. I have the manual RWD option, and the car is surprisingly well balanced and stable. All the electronic nannies manage to keep the car jumpy enough to give you good thrills without really putting you in dangerous situations. Want more fun, just disable most nannies and engage the sports driving mode with a couple of button pushes. Want a comfortable commute, just set it in eco pro mode, with a smooth suspension and more sedate engine configuration. The summer tires are an absolute blast to drive on and I got a set of studless winter tires for the cold weather, which worked remarkably well in snow and ice. I was a bit worried about a RWD car this powerful in the snow, but winter tires work wonders, handle better than an AWD with all seasons. Love this car, and got a really good deal purchased late in the year.

M Performance Icon--M235i
By Rodolfo Cava

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i M235i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The best value in a BMW projecting M performance. Consumer Report's highest rated BMW model ever!

WOW! Hold On!
By D. Moore

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i M235i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned the car for about a month so far. Love it in sport plus with the DSC off. I have had the car sideways a few times and it is fun. The late lock-up of the active differential does sometimes catch me off guard and I have to struggle to keep it under control or can spin out. The car is capable an a hoot to drive with acceleration that will keep you scanning down the road a ways as it gobbles up the pavement. My modified 2007 Scion tC is fun to drive, but this car is the definition of ultimate driving. The title of this review came from the car, the center display actually displayed that message on one of my sideways excursions. Kudos to BMW on bringing driving back.