Used 2008 Audi Q7 Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Audi Q7 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Q7 model:

Do not buy this car!
By Jay

2008 Audi Q7 3.6 quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

It is bad when you are at the dealer service center and the salesman as well as the senior tech both tell you that they wouldn't own this version of the car!
So my wife and I were looking to swap out our 2012 Lincoln MKX for another luxury vehicle with 3rd row seating to cover the new needs of our expanded family. We had owned the Lincoln for 3 years and aside from repairing a faulty cooling fan, the vehicle performed flawlessly. We drove it on many vacations and loved the ride comfort, features, and style. The only fault at all was the lack of seating which is what led us to search for something new. We thought we had found that in a used red 2008 Audi Q7. We choose this vehicle because we were looking to buy another SUV within the price range that we could sell the used MKX ($15-16k). The Audi won us over with the amount of features, luxury items, sportiness and pedigree being a cousin of Porsche and Volkswagen. The vehicle we purchased had comparable miles as our MKX had (75,000 ish) so we expected a vehicle that would be broken in with a few scratches here and there and maybe some slight wear on the interior. What we received however was something straight out of a comedy. We ordered the vehicle and had it shipped to our house.
When the transport arrived the vehicle didn't want to start so they had to boost it to get it off the trailer. While at idle we began to smell gas. Upon inspection we found the fuel tank was pouring gas onto our drive! Went to move the car but it wouldn't start back.
We had it towed to the Audi dearlership for repair ($210.00). 3 days later we picked it up after a service recall which repaired the leak free however the leak caused damage to the fuel pump which required replacement ($475.00) and to replace the battery it had to be programmed to the vehicle ($318.00).
On the way back home however, the TPMS indicator came on then the ‘Hill Climb Assist Error’ indicator, then the ABS light and then the Brake booster light. Not far after the check engine light came on and the vehicle began to misfire.
Additionally, as I was travelling back home the cabin began to get stuffy. I went to turn up the AC and both blowers were not functioning. I opened up the sunroofs and dropped the windows. Turned the stereo on to popping and cracking speakers. Not to be outdone, the charging port that I was using to charge my phone stopped working. As misery sat in on my 65+ mile trek home, it began to rain. I went to roll up the windows and close the sunroofs to find that the rear window wouldn’t go back up and the front sunroof only partially closed and the rear would not shut either. So the final 15 minutes of the drive home was spent getting rained on.
After we arrived home my wife helped me force the rear window up and we managed to coax the main moonroof closed however in the process the rear plastic cover of the passenger seat fell off! Additionally, we opened up the rear hatch to gain better access to the rear sunroof but when we went to shut it, the hatch wouldn’t close. It took 10 minutes of coaxing it to finally get it all the way down.
The next day we contacted the dealership and told them what had happened. They suggested that it could have been affected by the battery programming (I called BS on this but went along with it) and suggested we bring it back in for a diagnostics test to see. We drove the vehicle back, in the heat, without ac and only able to drive it 55 mph on the highway due to the engine misfire.
The dealership to notified us that the AC blower motors were in fact faulty, the speakers were blown and the fiber optics were busted on the stereo (thus disabling the satellite radio and causing a short). The tire pressure monitors were all dead (they run on batteries which expire every 5 years or so and require replacement, even on the spare, to the tune of $275.00 each), the rear window resistor was bad, the sunroofs and hatch control assemblies were faulty , all but one of the charging port connectors were melted at their base and shorted (also something that is prone to failure as we were informed.) The engine misfire was caused by a faulty connection to one of the coils which was easily corrected during the diagnostic test. Overall, however the test alone cost us $330.00. Then the dealership told us the cost for the remaining repairs would total $4,385.00! We ended up getting our $14k back from the purchase and now own a Cadillac Escalade. Will never own an Audi due to the cost of repairs and the volume of items which are prone to fail with age!

Great vehicle
By David

2008 Audi Q7 3.6 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

One of the best vehicles that I ever owned

Best vehicle I've owned!
By Ben

2008 Audi Q7 3.6 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned 3 Japanese cars, 2 Americans, and this SUV by far is the best vehicle I've driven. It is so enjoyable and comfortable. Besides the fact that it drinks more gas than my dad drink his beers in a week, the Q7 is a fantastic vehicle. Just one thing, WHY THE HELL AUDI DOESN'T HAVE A REGULAR AUX PORT LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD? I have to open the iPod box every time and it's just not very convenient. Other than that, I have no complaint about this beautiful SUV.

125,000 miles and still ticking.
By Don

2008 Audi Q7 3.6 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The cupholders are placed in a terrible location, making spills into the navigation controls inevitable, as they are located just below the cupholders.
Even a minor spill into the system causes it to short out. I have already replaced two and it looks like I have another problem. The electronics should be better insulated to allow for occasional spills. Better yet, move the cupholders to a less vulnerable location.

For the second time, I am experiencing rips in the leather seating. I have never had this problem with other cars, including my 15-year old Beetle with leather seats. And no, I don't carry knives or screwdrivers in my back pockets.

Just had to replace the battery, which is located under the passenger side front seat, which needs to be removed to get to the battery compartment. Ridiculously expensive for labor. Audi wanted around $600 for replacement. Had it done at my local foreign car repair shop for $380. Replacing brakes is incredibly expensive, even when done at my repair shop.

Disappointed
By tazzygirl

2008 Audi Q7 3.6 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my Q7 October 2008 & loved it for the first 2 years.
October 2010 things started to go wrong. I drive a lot of highway miles so it was out of warranty.
The lane side assist went out, the latch for the rear moonroof broke ($900.00 for a latch!) & in November 2010 the heat went out, only on the drivers side, then both motors on the mirros went out at a cost of over $300.00 each.
It is now January 2012 & I am still dealing with heat issues after spending $1500.00 in repairs it still doesn't work properly, sometimes
not at all.
Now my remote is beginning to fail.
I have spent the last 15 months dealing with failures & expenses.
I'm done! Will never buy Audi again!

Stand behind your product. I had major failures within 24 months & you wouldn't support it