Used 2004 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Stage 3 black "s-6"
By Mark D

2004 Audi A6 2.7T S-Line quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Initially, with low miles, there was no need to do any maintenance other than brakes and oil changes. After 40,000+ miles (approx. 125,000-130,000 on the odometer) expect the turbos to have issues especially if you're a spirited driver. Cost to repair is ridiculous if you aren't mechanically inclined. By this I mean a pro with engine lift experience, patience and an extreme love for the car. If not, expect to spend thousands more than the thousands the parts will cost you. I went stage 3+ when my turbos blew (passenger side to be specific, and also the timing belt) . After tackling the job on this car I have full confidence that I can fix any and all of the issues I may ever have. If you have the know how and the ambition this car is amazing and the engineering, when understood is truly awesome!

Help, please send money!
By Michael Gitz

2004 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Love it. Just wish I didn't have to put so much money in it. When it rains it pours. My eyes were bigger than my stomach. Could be an awesome car. Love working on it (a lot). Everything is a pain to get to. Nothing is simple. I do love my car though. I guess because I am still paying on it.

Pre-owned yields luxury at a reasonable price
By Philip Meidell

2004 Audi A6 2.7T S-Line quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I've driven ~40,000 miles since I bought it at ~67,000 miles. I'm 6'5", and most other cars don't fit me well. This car is comfortable, roomy, and has a nice, big trunk. I love the all wheel drive, especially in the winter. This car has been remarkably reliable for me. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself!) I had the timing belt service including water pump etc. performed at the prescribed mileage. I've replaced the battery, brake pads and rotors and tires, and a couple of front end alignments. The only non-regular maintenance items I've had to do is replacing is a tie rod end and both front axles, all due to torn rubber boots at the ball joint and CV-joints, respectively. At its age, I can't really complain. None of the work was done by the dealer. This is an Audi after all, so expect to pay more for work and parts than on other cars. I've had good luck with a couple of local independent mechanics. The 2.7 liter bi-turbo is nice and peppy when needed. I usually buy this class of car with more than a couple of years on it. Since I like a firm, responsive ride I'll usually start by investing in shocks and struts all around, but this car has handled beautifully from the get-go and right up to the present, so I still have the original suspension components. Fuel consumption isn't great by today's standards: about 21 mpg around town, and 26 on the highway, and I drive rather carefully.

A common problem on a used Audi is oil leaks around the engine. Oftentimes the leak is above the exhaust manifold so drips or runs down to vaporize and stink. I haven't had this problem, but be mindful of this issue.

Another issue I need to point out, NOT related to this car but on any Audi with the 2 liter, 4 cylinder turbo engine built roughly between 2006 - 2013. This engine has a very serious problem with oil consumption. It's not leakage. It simple burns it at the rate of a quart every 600 to 1500 miles. It's a widely known issue. My wife's 2007 A4 Avant has this problem. Of course we learned about it after we bought it. Response from the seller, "It's always done it." From the dealer, "They all do it." Both are right. Caveat emptor.

I find it curious to say the least that Audi, a German company that otherwise makes beautifully engineered cars, hasn't figured out to make an oil seal that lasts, either external, the dripping, or internal, the burning of oil.

Would I buy another one? Most likely. I like the overall feel.

Purchased Used with 62k miles
By charbojr

2004 Audi A6 3.0 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this off the lot with 62k miles on it. This will be my daily driver. Purchased for it's all weather capability and european refinement. For a 10 year old car this one is in fairly good shape. Some gremlins do plague the car, phantom sunroof, power steering pump went in the first 20 days and driver side rear window does not work. But this is part and parcel for a 10 year old car. It is also a heavy drinker. 18 around town and 22-24 highway on premium gas. Beyond these nuances the car is capable, comfortable, solid on the road and for the money drives better than most newer cars and has more cargo space than most SUVs.

Quattro AWD, phantom sunroof (for novalty sake) ride and handling a million times better than most SUVs.

Great Car
By AQBill

2004 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is my 2nd Audi and with one exception, it's been my favorite. Did have to replace transmission "computer" chip outside of warranty and they don't come cheap. On the other hand the car has provided wonderful service, It's stylish, comfortable, quiet, reliable and gets exceptional milage - 22 to 24 in town and 30 to 32 on the road at 70 mph. I am, however, a geezer driver - as my children tell me - so I don't flog either the engine or brakes.

Quiet, Efficient, Large Trunk, good Stereo System and great highway ride.

A few interior wood trim pieces are cracking prematurely and the lumbar support system isn't quite versatile enough for me.