Used 2002 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used TL for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great Car if you like 65,000 mile transmissions

P. Gerald, 09/01/2015
3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Just don't buy one unless you like buying a transmission from Honda for $2500 every 65, 000 miles. No kidding. Honda set up a plant and sell you one for $2500 when the transmission goes out every 65,000 miles instead of fixing the design problems. Otherwise it's a great driver's car.

Love my Ac-Rite

James C, 03/21/2016
3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This Acura TL is what put Acura's ability to make luxurious sporty mid sized sedan's on the front burner of every car review outlet. I mean, the 3.2 VTEC V6 that comes standard is LITERALLY bullet proof. Check the internet for em, wait..don't. Because no one needs em. Why? This thing was mechanical engineering genius. The car is stupid smooth and quiet on the inside. Helluva travel car. Have taken it all across the west coast and for good reason. The technology is what one would expect for an '02, but man does she shine when you ride. I get compliments almost everyday for how it drives and purs...and she is up to the 174k MILE MARK! On stock engine, STOCK TRANSMISSION, and up till a few thousand miles ago stock radiator. This car is my first car that my parents gave me and even though she takes a beating, I can't trade her in. Why? Because it can take turns at 40+ like Miata, accelerates with the current muscle cars (seriously), and rolls past Lexus owners and laugh. The stock sound system is BOSE and straight bumps, as a teenager this is huge! I love my Ac-Rite. People don't understand; treat any car with regular oil changes, fluid flushes (INCLUDING TRANNY FLUID), and constant monitoring...anything will take you far. But we bought this with about 30k on the dash, and at first we didn't care for it. But once I got it, I drove it constantly in manual (speed stick, speed slot), keep it below 6k revs, and gave SYNTHETIC oil changes every 4,000 or so and it'll run. Why? Because ACURA's are Honda's and they are built fantastically.

Title? ? GARBAGE

Willie Hopkins, 11/16/2015
3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Do not buy this car, don't even think about it, if you want something sporty and luxurious go for Lexus Honda/Acura will never have my business again, this car is on its 5th transmission and I refuse to get it replaced again the car is known for its transmission problems and recalls the car has been wrecked once due to the cars bad transmission at 75mph it dropped into 1st gear and all the tires locked I spun off the road and had to get towed that was when I was told I'd need my 5th transmission 5 thousand miles in and its already sliiping and locking. Save yourself some trouble and never buy an Acura or a Honda this is dangerous and outrageous especially the fact that the company will only replace your transmission with one that has previously failed after usually giving you the run-a-round this is the worst purchase I have ever made and I advise any buyer to do research on this car before you buy it. It's awesome if you want to replace a transmission every 40-40k miles cheap interior,boring styling but to each his own I suppose have fun. You might get more use out of it as a yard ornimant because it probably wont leave your driveway one day!

I want a new Acura TL just like my 2002

DGF, 08/29/2015
3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My 2002 Acura TL has 178,000 miles on it and still drives lovely and everything still works. The only 3 items I have replaced are the heater in 2015, one tail light, and the rear view mirrror. And of course oil, tires, brakes, timing belt, all those maintenance things. I did buy a new vehicle for peace of mind (Lincoln MKX) but I still drive the Acura the most. I thought my 6 disk CD player was broken and I was sad, but when the battery was disconnected and reconnected the CD player miraculously started working again. It is sometimes almost impossible to reprogram the radio after the battery has been disconnected, you have to try over and over and over and over and never give up. Try it on different days after you have driven it around.

A great car that improves with age

BMW Enthusiast, 07/17/2008

We have had the 2002 Acura now for 6 years and the darned thing looks and performs exactly as if it had just pulled out of the dealership. It has always been a surprisingly nimble car, great handling, nice acceleration when you need it; but what's most remarkable is how well it has aged. Still feels like new. Never a single mechanical issue. Rock solid quality. I originally got it for the value and it has more than delivered. It's made me an Acura fan.

Excellent performance, reliability & style

Carlos Valentin, 08/18/2005

This car has always the one of my dreams for long years. I had owned it for about 3 months now, completely certified & everybody thinks it's brand new. It's an excellent car, excellent performance and incredible features with top of the line technology. It's everything anybody could want in a near-luxury car. On the highway, it just glides... driving it's just a pleasurable experience by itself. The Bose 6 disc in-dash system just blows my mind with is beautiful sound quality. I feel so safe because its drivebility is amazing. Leather heated seats, automatic sun-roof, and the anti-theft system... everybody that has been in it has fallen in love with it and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Nice car to own

tst32tl, 09/15/2006

Own this car for 5 years and it never had any major problems (except the transmission recall, and they automatically provide extended warranty to 100,000 mi no charge). Very comfortable and nice. Probably will buy the same car when ready to get my next car.

Great car-bad trans.

Jeff, 08/25/2015
3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Factor 2,500 into the cost of a major transmission rebuild at an independent shop if the car is past the warranty (5,000 at the dealer). It's a matter of when not if this will be needed. My original transmission failed at 30,000 (covered by warranty at no cost) and the replacement failed after 73,000 and American Honda would not help with the cost at all. Hope their new cars are better, I'm not going to take the chance. Time to try another manufacturer.

Transmission Whiplash 2002 TL

fixerupper, 02/10/2002

Major problem. Transmission hesitates then engages first gear very abruptly. Happens from a dead stop or when slowing down and speeding up. There is a very noticable delay from the time I start accelerating till the car goes hard into motion. After 5 trips to the dealer, and being told that they can not find the problem or thats the way it is supposed to work I am going back and demand at least a new trany. My first couple weeks driving this thing I developed a serious stiff neck.

Great Sporty Sedan

JS, 06/06/2008

I picked up my 02 TL in Florida and drove it up to Minnesota about 64,000 miles ago. I now have 112,000 miles on it and it still drives just as nice. I just put in a timing belt, brakes, rotors, crossover cooling line. Acura gave me a 100,000 mi. warranty on the transmission since there were issues with a select few. The only thing I notice is that there sometimes is some hesitation when shifting into D5. You have to wait 1-2 seconds before applying the gas. Great fuel mileage. 26-28 city / 28-31 hwy. Record trip was made with a 34 mpg tank.

Don't want to trade it in!

sm, 04/20/2009

I bought my 2002 Acura TL certified pre-owned in 2004 and it's going on 5 years now. It still looks new inside and out. I was thinking about upgrading to the new Acura but was very disappointed in the look of the new models. Tacky interior trim and bulky looking exterior. My blue 02 is SO much better looking. I guess I'll be keeping it for a while. Zero issues with maintenance, no transmission problems.

Best Value Out There

tennisone, 08/09/2002

Just drove home a new 3.2 TL. The engine is outstanding. Powerful and smooth. Interior detail is outstanding. Just wish it was a little quieter in the cabin, but the limited road noise gives it a sporty feel. Bose sound system is great. I love this car and will have it for a long time. Consumer Reports rates at recommended buy. Highest crash test ratings with IIHS. While there are better cars out there, there is no better value out there!

Acura is just average

Gerhard, 12/13/2009

I bought my Acura based on consumer reports reliability and performance recommendations. However, my Acura did not live up to my expectations. I spent the extra money on Acura over domestic products and other foreign brands because I thought I was getting top quality. Instead I got many headaches. For the record, I still like the design and I like the performance. However, I did not like the fact that I have had to have my transmission changed 2 times. I am on my third trans and now I have to purchase a new timing belt that is supposed to cost over $1000. And that is only at 7100. Needless to say I would not recommend this model, nor would I endorse this brand any more.

Great Car - Watch the Tranny

KMaude, 12/09/2005

I've had this car for about a year now (85,000 miles) and it's been one of the best cars I've owned (over 12 others). I recently felt a little hesitation in the tranny and took it to the dealer for service. Thank god it's still under the factory tranny warranty (7 yrs/100k). The trans needs replacing and thanks to the warranty I'll be getting it for free! Another positive is my dealer loaner is a 2006 3.2 TL with 800 miles on it ... what a great car! I will strongly consider another Acura when purchasing a new car next year.

Love my car but not the transmission

Ralph, 05/12/2010

I purchased this car "pre-owned" off a lease, 3 yrs old, 30k miles. I have loved this car. Transmission went out at 104K miles and 7 yr, 9 mos from date of purchase. Transmission was replaced, just under the mandated extended warranty, but told new transmission has no warranty. What? I've had two problems with windshield wipers. Other than that, it is a great car. My dealership has been great to me (Atl)

Affordable performance and reliability

top2btm, 08/21/2003

Driving comfort is the key to this vehicles superiority. Enough power when you want to punch it. No fears when you need to tromp on the brakes. Great sound system. Well placed controls and good driving visibilty make long trips and multitasking safe and enjoyable.

Review of 2002 TL

dancetammy, 05/28/2002

This car is a luxury to drive.

My good choice

stevesil, 05/30/2002

Comfort is exceptional, particularly for drivers who need thigh support. Handling is a pleasure. The car is totally responsive at highway speeds for both acceleration and braking. The driving experience has been excellent.

Good Car

Honda Rocks, 09/25/2002

Great car! I have had a few issues with road noise, seat squeaking, and paint. Everything this else has been wonderful although Pohanka Acura is not where I will purchase my next Acura!

A Pleasant Surprise

arlo47, 09/26/2002

It was $$$ that sold me on the 2002 3.2TL -- I got an unbelievable price of $27,300 delivered through a dealership about an hour away via the AAA website. I have been amazed at how comfortable and luxurious this car is, not to mention solid and fast -- especially on the highway. The interior is absolutely beautiful, and the standard features list goes on forever.

Love This Car - No Problems

AcuraTim, 08/14/2002

Having owned this car for exactly one year I want to go on record as saying I have not had any problems. All I've had to do is change the oil every 4000 miles. I have 22000 miles so far and have not experienced any transmission problems. This care is a lot of fun to drive - and I feel it is fast, responsive, and handles quite well. It is also a very comfortable car to drive.

Luxury at Honda Prices

tinmantt, 06/05/2002

This has been the best car I've owned. Had European cars including Volvo, Audi, etc., but as an overall experience, they can't compete.

Great after almost 2 years

clarifypso, 11/11/2002

Upgraded from Infiniti G20 after 125000 miles. First Acura, although I have had 2 other Hondas, a Mazda, a Toyota and a Porsche. This car is fun to drive. No problems other than the warranty recall for the windshield fluid tubes clouding up the windshield. Dealer fixed it right first time. Very easy on the back and good in cold weather here in Colorado.

Safety, Reliabity, Comfort, Fun

Duke Fans, 11/15/2002

We've had no problems. We love it! My wife drives all over the state and it has performed great.

Transmission Problems at 56K

nldud, 11/24/2002

I loved my car until transmission troubles! Car hesitates to shift when you first accelerate and then when it does shift, it's a really hard jerking motion. Acura dealership replaced the A and B shift solinoid but problem is not resolved. It's a good thing I bought the extended warranty! Everyone kept telling me Acura will last for 300K but I'm not going to find out. My 94 Nissan Sentra was still running smooth at 160K when I sold it to buy the ACURA. I took excellent care of the vehice had all the oil recommended oil changes and routine service schedule maintenance.

Acura 3.2 TL - love it!

jimbo2, 12/01/2002

I've never had a car that only required oil changes for maintenance for the first two years! In addition to the reliability, I love the feature set, it's comfortable to drive, and has the power available when I need it. I look forward to going to work or the store because I get to drive my TL!

great vaue solid reliability

east end, 01/14/2003

The TL is a great value ,but lacks the handling and style of competiters .My wife picked out the TL based on our prior ownership of Acuras.

I love it!

ExecAsst, 01/26/2003

I owned an Acura Integra prior to buying this car. I'm hooked on Acura. They are reliable, dependable cars. The TL is beautiful and everything comes standard except the navigation system. I love it!

A good car for a great price!!!

andontimetoo, 03/02/2002

I have enjoyed my 2002 TL. The Honda corporation has a good product at a great price. The standard features are plentiful. As compared to cars in its class, there is no better deal.

Best Buy for the Dollar

Scott JT, 02/01/2003

I have owned my TL for 1.5 years and the car has been wonderful. I looked at the competition (Infinity, BWM, Audi) and for the dollar none of these compared. I have had absolutley no issues with the vehicle.

A/C Issues

funpilot, 07/23/2003

When you have a car this nice, it is the little things that drive you crazy. My vehicle's A/C HISSES LOUDLY all the time as it cycles. It can drown out the radio....but it is "normal" according to the dealer. It cannot be fixed. For me it is so bad, I will NEVER purchase another Acura product....(back to Toyotas)

Great little car

Irish One, 07/25/2003

After researching many cars and test driving twenty four cars. I felt this was the best deal for the money. It is a great little car.

Does what it is designed to.

Solman42, 08/04/2003

I have owned this vehicle twenty six months and have had no problems with it. As an entry level luxury sedan I believe it is without question the best value on the market. It has more speed and better handling than most people will ever use. Very comfortable on a 3500 mile drive. Gas mileage is 22-23 general driving and up to 31 on interstate. Highly recommend it.

transmission problem

Cnslr56, 09/15/2003

Beautiful ride. Transmission replaced at 20000. under warranty. Shaken confidence, air conditioning not that great (cooling) seems not to cool adequately in 100+ degree weather, however my car is black with black interior. Great service at dealership, no pressure.

All Around Excellent Performance

ScottBoulderCO, 08/12/2003

The 3.2 TL (w/Navigation) has been an excellent vehicle. At almost two years old, our Acura has maintained a perfect repair record. While the interior design reflects that of its sister Honda (the Accord), the navigation system and sound deck differentiate it and blend in well with the dash. Despite only having the standard 3.2 Liter engine compared to the Type-S, our Acura will outperform many of the luxury vehicles owned by our neighbors. Acceleration, top speed (which is governed), and the smooth transmission make the Acura a best buy. For all consumers in the market for a luxury sports sedan, the TL is it!

My 2002 Acura TL Experience

George Mount, 09/30/2003

Since purchasing my Acura TL over a year and half ago, I've been totally satisfied with the overall quality and performance of the vehicle. The look and ride comfort of the Acura was the main reasons for making this purchase. In the past, I've bought vehicles which were initially very appealing from a look and/or ride comfort perspective but I would quickly lose interest in the "look" and the ride became uncomfortable shortly after purchasing the vehicle (i.e., within 6 months). This has not been the case with my Acura, in fact, the look and the ride comfort continue to impress me more and more each passing month. Great vehicle!

great, reliable car

lda, 06/01/2005

Fun to use in town, very good for long trips

Very satisfied

megadude, 12/16/2003

I also test drove many other cars in the same general price range before buying this car. I thought it was the best car. I have had it for over 2 years. I still believe it is the best entry level luxury car. Period. Don't understand the comments about noisy air conditioning. Mine is whisper quiet ... even on the hottest, muggiest days of a Florida summer.

Huge Miles/Perfect Car

cadillacman, 01/11/2004

I drive over 40,000 miles each year. In the past I have driven large Cadillacs and Lincolns. This TL costs thousands less, has every convenience I used in the other cars, and costs thousands less. And yet, this is the most comfortable car I have ever driven over many miles. Transmission went out at 48,0000, Acura has sent out a recall...Dealer replaced it. Dealer service has been exceptional (Norm Reeves).

lost it's value

gary kennedy, 02/21/2004

I have had the car for 2 1/2 years and it has 102,000 miles. No problems, not even brake replacement. Mileage is 30 mpg, better than rated. Very quiet,no wind noise, squeaks, or rattles. I was shocked when the dealer offerred me less than $10,000 dollars for trade on a new $35,000 TL.

Great overall car

Chad983, 03/07/2004

Very reliable. No major problems in 2 yrs. Only complaints: paint seems to chip easily with normal road debris, and transmission hesitates from Park to 1st gear. Supreme gas makes a difference in this car. Climate control is great, and seats are very comfortable. I put ~80 miles/day to work, and have had back problems in the past, but not in the TL.

Not completely luxury

AJ Ditzler, 03/08/2004

I cannot find a perfect seat position, neither can my wife. When my legs are the right distance from pedals, I'm too close to the steering wheel. Seats are slighly uncomfortable for long trips. Love the interior, thought I loved the exterior, but now seems a little bland. It is a very fun car to drive, but the OEM tires don't come close to matching the cars performance. As for holding its value, am very disappointed in what I see for trade in. New transmission at about 24000 miles, but dealer was excellent. Transmission always has and still feels very weird shifting into drive, very long delay. For the money, should have bought the Honda Accord.

great vehicle

keithr, 05/19/2004

I have had the TL for about a year now. I've owned a Legend and Accord in the past, however, the Tl is the best yet. Smooth horse power, great ride, and complete package:-)

great value

terri, 03/16/2005

In 3 years, other than routine maintenence I have never had this car in the shop. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned, and I've always owned new cars (not used). What are considered options on most cars are included with the tl. The value is incredible. I have enjoyed every minute of owning and driving this vehicle. My next car will most likely be another acura.

A little disappointed in my TL

pjeffs, 03/16/2003

My Acura has been somewhat disappointing. I have been a loyal Honda driver for over 10 years and I have not liked my 2002 Acura. There is a rattle in the rear speaker that I have had the dealer attempt to repair 4 times, to no avail.

Great Car

TL Fan, 03/20/2003

I like the car it is fun to drive nice power and trunk space. I like the style and handling big difference from what I was driving.

Transmission nightmare

Sailorman, 03/20/2003

I bought my 2002 model Acura 3.2TL based on excellent consumer reports. Why did I not hear about their transmission problems? After 15,000 miles I had to have a new transmission installed under warrenty. After another 10,000 miles on the new transmission the fluid looked like oil! The dealer admitted that the repair shop was full of TL's with transmission problems. From what I have read and heard since, I am amazed there has not been a recall. I hope to read more about this apparent "cover up". Shame on Honda.

Great car!

KDS, 03/06/2002

It may not be the fanciest vehicle, but it's a fun and comfortable drive.

Intelligent design!

dunlopilo, 03/17/2007

The more I drive this the more I appreciate it. A very undervalued, underestimated car. Got it second hand and there is nothing I don't like, except fuel consumption in urban cycle. Powerful engine (feels like there's a turbo) that will have everyone in rear mirror in flash. Car is firm enough but also smooth when driving (you don't spend half of the time between seats and roof in bumpy areas). I've driven Opel, VW, Peugeot, Honda, Citroen, Seat, Volvo, Nissan, Pontiac, Ford. None are a match to my TL. It is full of details without excessive electronics (fewer dealership visits). Tranny fine (for now). Nothing to envy to a Mercedes or BMW or Audi from the same segment. It's that simple.

Overall Good Car, Luxury could be better

raddison, 04/28/2003

I've had my 2002 TL for 1.25 years now. Only regular service appointments so far. There's a noise from one of the seats that bugs me, but that's only when the stereo isn't playing, so I'm not too mad they didn't find the squeak yet. The luxury is entry level, however, I've seen more luxury on a cavalier moonroof. Having to keep your finger on the button instead of one touch, while small is part of luxury! Other than those small things the TL has been great. I love driving it and enjoy the navigation sytem lots. It's the best car I've ever owned, but that's only compared to a Dodge Intrepid, Honda Accord and one of those K-cars.

51050