Used 2005 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used RSX for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

RSX S-Type- Not Just for Kids

Matthew M., 03/24/2006

I've owned the RSX S-Type since Dec 1, 04. I took my wife's TSX in for an oil change and test drove the RSX while I was waiting. I went back the next day and bought the RSX. The general manager asked who the car was for. I said for me, do you think I'm too old (55 at the time). I love it. It is by far the most fun car to drive I have ever had and the most sporty. The sport does add a much stiffer suspension than some may like but for handling you can't beat it. It loves the on ramps to the interstate and the faster you drive it the better it sticks. The higher the revs the better and it will fly in the higher rev range. Best car in this class for the money, period.

Excellent!!

dendron, 09/03/2006

What a shame Acura has decided to discontinue this model beyond 2006! The RSX -- especially the Type-S -- is major bang for the buck. Grab one before they're gone. I owned a 2002 Type-S, which I loved, until the refinements of the 2005-06 were introduced... then I had to trade. My 2005 is a noticeable improvement over the earlier varsion. A very nice blend of luxury, economy, and performance for under $25K. Several reviewers have complained about the rough ride. This is primarily due to the crappy Michelin touring (M+S) tires Acura shackles this car with from the factory. An upgrade to a set of oversized General UHP summer tires TOTALLY transformed this car for me. BIG difference!

Can't beat it!

jammin05s, 04/06/2006

I love this car. You will truly appreciate the power out of a stock 4 cylinder engine. More than 50 horse power per cylinder!! Performance you can't imagine from a company that did.

I am smiling again

PACA, 08/28/2016
Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have been driving Acura’s for the past 25 years. I had a 91 & 99 Integra GSRs and must say these cars for the money were the best all around. Stepped up to a couple of TLs and was quite disappointed with the Acura Brand as I questioned build quality. Decided to give the brand one more chance by purchasing used 05 RSX Type-s. This car as I recalled from the past has a solid build quality with lots of fun factor. Mechanically sound with no problems, excellent gas mileage and a NATURALLY aspirated 210 hp engine. Six speed gear shift is remarkable even with 161K miles.

Fun little car

statusone, 05/14/2012

This was my first car ever and I enjoyed the heck out of it. It was vivid blue pearl and I had the type-s so the wheels looked amazing as well. The car was definitely a head turner and everyone seemed to like, people would let me thru in traffic (this doesn't happen in something like a bimmer). It is a Honda so it is reliable as the universe and I had it serviced at Honda (since no Acura dealership was built near me at the time) and I got Honda prices, but Acura prices aren't that bad actually for a luxury car. It isn't as fast as you'd expect a 210 hp car to be. The problem is you have to wind it up to 6500 rpm to get it going and there's very little torque. But a fun drive nevertheless

So far it's been amazing

cczajka21, 10/17/2014

I bought this car about a month ago with only 84,000 miles on it. For being almost 10 years old, I thought that was pretty good. I have always loved this kind of car and ended up finding one when I wasn't even looking. After the first test drive i fell in love. The 6 speed is amazing and so much fun to drive. It has the perfect amount of power for me and it handles great. I was worried about the mpg because before this car I had a corolla and got excellent gas mileage. I go to college in a big city so I figured that would lower my mpg but I'm getting an average of 29.5 which I thought was good. So far I have had no problems and hope it stays that way so i can keep this car for a long time.

Silver Rocket!!

Tom, 05/02/2005

A fantastic car! Amazing performance from a 4 cyclinder engine (and good fuel economy as well). Short-throw 6 speed is perfect. Build quality is exceptional. Feels tighter than a drum. Stock stereo is quite good as well. Perfect car for those who want great performance but don't want the higher fuel costs and "boy racer" looks of some of the others.

Fast Junk

Time 4 a change, 07/07/2006

I had a 2002 RSX base that I loved. Then got hit by a red light runner which wasted the car. I went out and bought a 2005 Type S thinking it would be even bette. WRONG! This thing is junk. I've had it in the shop more times that I can remember. The struts have been fixed/replaced at least 5 or 6 times, the moonroof stopped sealing and had to be replaced, I have numerous rattles in the dash and doors. All this started at 750 miles and it now has 10,000 and is still going. I've had to file a lemon law claim as one deal just stopped returning my calls. I have well over 40 days of shop time and I can say that the TL is junk too since I've had it as a loaner car all this time too.

Adrenaline Rush

Nauman, 09/21/2005

as far as performance is concerned, its got more then enough for any stupid ticket your trying to get. after 3k revs this car jumps to life like nothing else. stock/ it will hang with v8's. i have just under 8k on mine, no mods except the subs, and no real racing experience. this car managed to pull me out of a deadly situation on the highway at over 120mph. it also destroyed countless red light revvers. has gotten an otherwise ordinary man tons of attention. and has people wondering what my hurry is. if you wanna know what a cheap thrill really is, go out and get one of these bad boys...

DJHonda84, 10/17/2005

My previous car was a Mazda MX-5 Miata. I enjoyed it a lot, however due to the need of more passenger and cargo room, I had to replace it. I wanted something that sacrificed as little of the driving experience I had grown accustomed to as possible. I wanted something with two-doors, 4-seat minimum, light-weight, sport-tuned suspension, decent cargo room and fuel economy. I chose the RSX for many reasons. It satisfied the criteria listed above, I had a good ownership experience of a Honda in the past, and the styling fit me. I chose the type-S trim for the same reason anyone else would chose it: more power and tighter suspension than the base model.

sunkist

sunkist, 05/13/2006

i like my car, its fun to drive.

Used Acura

robertbaseball, 09/08/2011

So i'm a new driver and i just bought a 2005 AcuraRSX as my first car. I've driven other cars and the engine noise isen't so loud. Is it just my car or is it just a noisy car? Other than that i love it! Leather seats but very sporty bucket seats. Interior is a little plain but has plenty of room to add an indash navigation system which will do soon. Plenty of horse power even in the non S type. Great car!!

Great car, great price

Tom, 09/03/2005

Definitely worth the money. Had it for about 2 months now and still can't wait to get in and drive. Im in love with the interior design and the handling. My car only has 850 or so miles on it so I haven't taken it over 4000 revs yet. Haven't seen what this baby can really do. Lovin it so far.

A Great Second Car

Hondalover, 07/07/2008

This is my second vehicle. As a younger driver I find this car absolutely perfect for me and the things I like in a car. Easy, fun, good enough on gas, sharp style, commanding appearance, and amazing handling.

Bang for buck

chris, 09/03/2008

This car is one of the best cars I have ever owned. Fast, fuel efficient, quiet, comfortable, and long lasting. 210 hp in a car that weighs under 3000 lbs. 6 speed tranny good for lower rpms at 80 mph, or higher top speed. Governor kicks in at 145. World's fastest front wheel drive NA car. And under 20k. Would love them to continue production. :-( they never should have stopped

Resilient Coupe

TypeS4real, 02/06/2009

This is my 2nd Type S & still impressed. With the hp bumped up to 210, it performs very well. Turn-ratio & handling are great. For a high torque coupe, it still gets good mpg, but it does require premium unleaded. Like other owners say, the ride can be extremely stiff so watch bumps in the road very carefully, seriously. I like how Acura upgraded the wheels to 17s, but wish they kept the original headlights, since that's what initially caught my eye. Interior hasn't changed, still sleek. The fold-over rear seats are a huge plus, but rear seating is narrow. As long as required maintenance is done (which is HIGHLY recommended), it'll be faithful. Definitely reliable, fun, & a great value.

I love this car

Rich, 01/07/2005

I absolutely love my RSX Type-S. Whether I'm driving to the supermarket or across the state it is the one of best cars I have ever driven.

great car

RickC, 01/07/2005

Great all around car. Fun to drive!!

05 purchase

diver, 01/06/2005

I've been extremely happy with my 05 rsx type-s. The car is very refined, has more than adequate performance for a regularly aspirated 2 litre 4 cyl, reasonably comfortable for a performance sports coupe and has great fuel economy to boot. I waited for the 05's to come out as I wasn't thrilled that the 04's still had 16" wheels and a little too much road noise. The changes for 05, although relatively minor, were enough for me to forgo the 04.

Good but can offer more

Crazy Al, 01/07/2005

A great car. Powerful, fantastic handling and unbelievable gas mileage (30+). Ther could be more offered with this special car like heated seats, etc. Even the A-Spec package is not yet available. Can't wait!

A Very Tricked-Out Ride

robert_s, 02/11/2005

I've been driving this car for about a week now and I love it. It feels very solid and well constructed. It is definitely a street racer, although I did not buy it for that reason. The suspension is very firm and the car handles very well in general as it is built low to the ground. But as much as I like it, everyone else around me seems to love it even more--neighbors, co-workers, etc., have all profusely complemented me on it. I had already placed an order for a Chevy Cobalt SS but it wasn't ready in time. This was about the same price and I think I did better with this--and it isn't a Toyota like everyone else has. Overall, I think it's a lot of car for the money.

RSX fun

jose quintero, 02/26/2005

Purchasing my RSX is the best decision I've ever made. Driving it is as fun as riding a roller coaster only the car has a fantastic stereo system. NO regret whatsoever. This is definately THE IMPORT KING!

A compact delight

Old Sport, 05/03/2005

I owned a '90 Integra that was an excellent fun to drive car that got handed down to both my kids. The '05 RSX-S is twice a much fun to drive. The handling is exemplary, the smooth, high-revving engine gives sensual pleasure to everyday driving, and the 6-speed transmission is impressively precise in shifting. Those that complain about the transmission might be happier driving M-1 tanks for the First Armored Division. This is a well- executed, high-spirited, 2+2 sports coupe at a very fair price. It gives the most pleasure when it is driven with skill - not flogged like a dirt bike.

My Acura

Liz, 05/13/2005

This is the first Acura I have ever bought and I love it. I will continue to purchase Auras from now on. I highly recommend the Type-S which is compared to the Type-R from Japan. This can is smooth in the turns and allows for some great driving capablities.

2005 Acura RSX Type-S

Eddie Strzalkowski, 05/15/2005

The Acura RSX Type-S is a great ride if you can drive a 6 speed manual. This car not only has 210 HP it has a V-Tec engine which really gives it a boost. Everytime you shift you feel like you have control of the car and it is so efficient you can even make the ride smoother than automatic. The ride is great, it sticks to the ground. With my Pearl Blue 2005 Acura RSX-S I ran a 14.8 second quarter mile at the track, stock. The car is completely reliable so far, has an awesome 6 disc CD player right in the front(not in the trunk). My brother also has a Pearl Black 2005 Acura RSX-S and it looks sharp also. Many people underestimate this vehicle. Test it out for yourself. It's worth every penny.

Die hard GM man converted by my RSX !

GRNTYPE-S, 05/28/2005

Im 51 and this is the 1st import I have ever owned. The car is amazing! The ride is smooth and the road feel is taught, but not "stiff". You can nail the gas pedal and hear it just come to life like a wild animal or take it out for a quite cruise at 70 while playing Motzart. The body style is unlike anything else on the road. And the quality and attention to detail is unsurpassed at this price. The Chevy Cobalt Supercharged version is in the same price range. But look closely... it doesnt hold a candle to the quality of the RSX Type-S.

RSX IS A GREAT BUY

Alex, 06/02/2005

This cars is my second honda purchase, my first being a civic dx in 99. I love veything about honda's reliability with my first car and now the RSX Type S has added great handling, incredible pick up, great high end speeds, and an appearance second to none. I would suggest this car to anyone who really enjoys driving a little too fast a little to often. As far as maintance i have had none which is right in line with honda's reputation. GO BUY IT TODAY!!

In a word? FUN.

Eric, 06/14/2005

This car is just a ton of fun. It's got pretty good torque off the line, but get the RPM's at about 6500 and feel 'er fly! The sport-tuned suspension (I have a Type-S) makes for great handling, yet the ride is still releatively quiet. The interior is very well designed, with the focus placed (as it should be) on the driver. While there is, technically, a rear seat for two, this is really only a two-seater for all intents and purposes. Small children and/or pets are the only things suited to being in the back. If you're looking for a passenger car, look elsewhere. If you want a fun car with nice pep and great extras (what a sound system!), get this car.

RSX-S is the way to go!

pannetron, 06/26/2005

The Type S for 2005 comes with better wheels, brakes and suspension turning an already great car into a wonderfully responsive sports coupe.

God's gift to the sport compact scene

05 Black Type S, 06/28/2005

This car is an absolute dream. I picked my 05 Black Type S up for invoice price! The Type S has what feels like an endless supply of power. I drove from Chicago to Indianapolis right after I bought it, and had problems keeping it under 90mph, it just wants to get up and run. I love the attention this car brings... I'm a single 23 year old male, and I don't mind the looks I get from girls who see/hear the Type S. It's fast, and looks classy... almost like a baby Ferarri.

Great car but needs minor improvements

Gerard, 07/10/2005

I had an '04 that creaked and groaned with body flex and some other problems as well so the dealer bought it back from me and sold me this one. Much improved structure, smoother ride (with bigger wheels), infinitely more comfortable seats, the boy racer rear wing is finally gone, and the exhaust note is better. This is one fun car to drive and knowing it's a Honda, it'll last. 0-60 time cut from 6.3 to 6.2? awesome! Build quality has been improved and it's look isn't so animated. Still very irked that there is no center armrest, no XM option, can't play MP3's, and no express up/down on passenger side.

Great car

stereo5, 07/26/2005

I have owned many cars in my 32 years of driving, the 2005 RSX Type S is the BEST car I have ever owned. The car is very quick, very quiet and extremely reliable and fun to drive.

Type S

Trader, 09/13/2005

Ive put 3600 miles on and have had no problems. This car is so fast, loves to rev. Seems like the car is begging you, "come on push me, ive got plenty more power for you"! The stereo sounds great and who wouldn't love zipping through those 6 gears. Seems like the cockpit was designed just for me. And the sound of that exhaust at high revs, wow. I'm sold on Acura.

Type S

Woe-D, 10/28/2005

I bought my type S in Feb. The car is just sick. It handles like no other car I have ever driven. The gear ratio is ridiculus. I can shift gears so quick it doesn't make any sense. I recently took it to the mountains and had a blast going around sharp curves at high speeds. Not even feeling like I was even going 15 miles an hour. It is a great car.

high strung

The Lombards, 02/26/2006

if you are in to downshifting and revs like a motorcycle, you will love it. balance through the turns and excellent power to weight ratio. by the way the leather is real comfy all seasons

nice Acura

rsx type-S, 09/24/2004

I test drove 05 type-S two days ago and was really surprised... My current car is 04 WRX and no, type-S doesnt have that raw torque and power of my rex BUT it is VERY quik ( 0-60 in 6.5 seconds) and for that price its defenly great choice. The car also has great potential for automarket parts and handles like a real sports car from Japan. Also it is a beauty from the outside and has absolutely great interior. 6 speed tranny is top-notch and here comes an advice for all customers who had problems with that transmission: let it warm up a bit and there will be no grinding. i-Vtech sounds incredible.

go vtec

techfun, 09/28/2004

I just picked up my 05 RSX type S. This car has some new features that greatly improve the vehicle over the 04 model. The new headlights and tail lights look much sharper, and the lowered body adds not only cosmetically, but aids tremendously in the handling department. New for 05 are 17" 5 spoke wheels that look outstanding. They have also added a larger exhaust tip, which sounds like a formula 1 vehicle. So much fun to drive revving the vtec up over 8k. I'm a previous Civic SI owner, which was stolen, and wanted to step up to the next level. This car does not disappoint.

My Baby

AshleeM, 09/29/2004

I absolutly love my Acura RSX-S. I originally wanted a Ford Mustang GT but I went with the Acura and I am so happy I did. I kind of wish they had the 3 new colors for the 2002 model but they don't so I may be trading mine in for a 2005.

05 RSX Type S

hydroride, 10/15/2004

I love the improvements they've put in the 05. Having owned an 02, I could feel the difference. The shifting is a little crisper and when it comes to cornering it sticks like glue. I can't believe the review that gave it a 1.0 is for real. I've owned honda products for almost 20 years & never ever had any problems like that. If the review is real , it must have been taken off roading for a test drive.

Fix the new lights like the old ones

THISisMYname, 10/20/2004

This car has kick to it. The only draw back for me is to find the right color, cuz they sell so well.

Defenatly a nice car to own

Great Fun Car, 10/20/2004

If your looking for an import, this is it. for the horsepower you get and the sportiness of the car,it surpasses the price you pay for this car. Acura has a great reliable name of honda right behind them.

No Regrets Here...

thatslife4ya, 11/10/2004

I've had this car for nearly a month now and still get a childish grin everytime I get behind the wheel. Everything in this car is seemless, from the interior ergonomics to the powertrain. With gas prices being what they are now, it's nice to see 30+ miles to the gallon on the highway. The regeared 6-speed tranny and the 10 extra horsepower make for a very spirited ride. I've looked down at the speedo more than once and found myself going 90mph, so definitely use the cruise control whenever possible. My only complaint with this car at all is the styling. Acura could definitely go a little more aggressive in that department. Nothing a few aftermarket body parts wont fix. Buy it.

driver

izzy218, 11/10/2004

i like evereything about the car except the way u get to the trunk. I have a car system and its to easy for people that steal to get to the back of the trunk.

For your money's worth.

Moses Q., 11/04/2004

I just wanted to state a fact for everyone out there and that is this car is worth every cents given. The performance, ride, comfort, every aspect of the car is great. Especailly the power in this small car. You won't believe it until you experience it yourself.

Type S Owner

Echo2, 11/16/2004

Bought my 05 type-s in Sept, Love the car. It is an absolute blast to drive. I commute 35 mile each way to work, and enjoy every minute of it. Great on the highway and 2 much fun on the back roads. 2 weeks after I bought it I took it on a 1600 mile road trip. It's not the most comfortable on the long hauls, BUT makes up 4 it around town.

DQB Review

dqb, 11/23/2004

this car is truly more refined than the last 02-04 models. the exterior is much cleaner than the last and performance has also increased. suspension is a lot better too because of the lower ride height and different suspension parts. Interior was pretty much the exact same thing, there was no change at all.

Great Car

theboy_20001, 11/30/2004

I am very impressed with the type - s After driving a regular RSX there is no comparison. The type-s is quick and responsive with smooth shifting. The interior is very comfortable and stylish. I added the aftermarket armrest from boomerang, it is a definite improvement I don't know why they don't include one from the factory. I am very impressed with the stereo system. The exterior is nice it is a good looking vehicle, the lights are much better looking and the standard skirts and wheels are also an added feature. The sunroof is a good feature. I would have preffered a regular exhaust over the oversized exhaust but it is still ok.

S2000 with a Backseat

Samantha, 12/08/2004

I have been a fan of the RSX since it was introduced a fews years back. I used to work for Honda and have had the opportunity to drive rival models. The 2005 RSX awesome in performance and reliability without sacrificing style or the economy. The new Type-S is an amazing machine! With over five thousand dollars in upgrades this year, driving this one in juxtaposition to the 2004 is like night and day. A couple of days before I bought my Nighthawk Black Type-S, my mother testdrove one and loved it so much she traded in her year-old Si for a Jade Green Type-S. Acura has made a shocking 360 with their designing. All the new Acuras are as beautiful as they are breath-taking on the road.

My first car

aaron, 12/23/2004

This is the first car i've bought with my own dinero, and as such u could imagine that a lot of thought went in to it. I was looking at the 2005 Ford Mustang first of all but when I went to the Acura dealership and sat down in the type-s, well i knew then and there that this was the car i wanted. drove it out of the park the same day.

Better than most of its competitors.

Jose, 12/29/2004

This car will definitely blow most competitor's doors off, especially in the price-to-equipment ratio. A similarly equipped Toyota Celica GT-S will cost you $4000 more and still be outrun by the Type-S. New for '05, this car now pumps out 210hp, without any turbo. Torque is broad across all RPM ranges; the Celica's narrow powerband was disconcerting, especially during passing. Performance, good fuel mileage (24/31), and reliability are this car's strong points. Keep in mind, though, this car requires premium fuel, but that's a small price to pay for such a performer.

51050