Used 2004 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used RSX for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Mistake to stop producing RSX's!

ratty, 05/11/2010

This has been a great car, very reliable, fun to drive! Don't know why Acura stopped making this model? Would buy another in a flash.

Love this car!

anhdao, 06/06/2012

I owned this car for 8 years and loved it. Such a great value for a car with all of the main luxury items you would want. I never had any major mechanical problems and always had fun driving this even though it was a stick and I lived in LA. Had to trade it in for a more family friendly car last year, but still miss driving it!

Very disappointed...

prettyboon, 04/06/2005

I am very disappointed in this car. I used to be a big Honda fan, but I think i've changed my mind. The transmission sucks, which is a common complaint. Fuel economy is bad. The interior is missing alot of luxuries for the price. Heated leather seats should be standard, along with lighted vanity mirrors. The interior is very plain looking. The stock tires are bordering on dangerous for being on the car. After less than a year of having the car there were already rattles in the dash. I'm trading this car in very soon. This car is no Integra. I don't know what Honda was thinking.

No longer own this vehicle

Gilbert Frey, 01/02/2016
Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Car is not overly comfortable on long road trips. Rear visibility is poor. Blind spots are bad for lane changing. Backup camera is a must (I added this myself). Rear seats are small and cramped and uncomfortable. Hard to exit the car gracefully. Parts are noticeably expensive (had to replace starter recently). Car was sold in April 2016 and not replaced by another vehicle

Too many problems with this car.

ThisCarSucksIHateIt, 04/07/2004

I had a Mitsubishi before this car, and this car is so much worse. It is constantly in the shop. Transmission problems, rattles, squeeks, noises, the stereo was incorrectly wired. Just recently, my engine went out. I started looking to see if others had similar problems on the net, and it's worse. I found about 300 other owners also having engine failures, some people claim there are thousands more. Then I saw a video of a guy on FOX News talking about how his engine went out and his car is a LEMON. It's a nightmare. Today I found out that they are not warrantying my engine and my parents have to pay 10,000 dollars to fix it!

Acura Sucks

Matthew Stewart, 06/24/2004

The enigne block was cracked after 5,500 miles. I took it in becuase it was leaking oil. They replaced the oil filter. Still something wrong so they had to "call" Acura to find out the small block was cracked. Seriously. It took 17 days to fix and when I was intially told I could get it the dealer said my car was not ready because my engine was "laying in pieces on the floor". Not a comforting thought. They clutch just went out at 45,000 miles and they would not replace it for free because it is a wearable part. Well, I guess the enigne is "wearable" too but it still does not go bad after 5,500 miles. The seal around the driver's door was coming undone.

Tranny problems

hondalover, 09/30/2008

I have owned Hondas all my life, every version of the Civic or Integra imaginable. This RSX Type S was very disappointing. The 6 speed transmission was a major problem for me, and I brought it back to the dealer several times. These cars notoriously grind 2nd and 3rd gears, and when I brought it back to the dealer they claimed that they could not "replicate the problem" Engine is awesome, suspension is killer, but the tranny is a huge problem! Beware when you purchase!

RSX is not an INTEGRA

Integragrl22, 02/25/2004

I am disappointed in acura for calling the RSX and integra. It is nothing like an integra and doesn't deserve the name. Acura needs to bring back the REAL integra.

Loves to redline!

Adam, 12/07/2009

Bought my Type-S used with 29k miles in 06. 3 years later and now with 83K miles the car still drives great. Very reliable, great on gas, with few bolt ons car will give you a run for its money. I have driven the car hard for 3 years and never gave me any problems.

TypeS Excellent value for the price

ran, 10/22/2003

While the exterior and interior leave much to the imagination the performance is undeniable. For a car at this price it is excellent and you know you have Honda's reputation of reliability behind you.

delighted with my RSX-S

new RSX owner, 11/12/2003

I just picked up my new RSX-S last week and I am extremely happy. I was also debating on buying a Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS and I am so glad that I decided on the Acura.

nice car

Luca, 11/16/2003

i-vtec engine is powerful spitting out 200 horses at 7400 rpm's and is quite intelligent.

Good Car

Amun Re, 11/25/2003

Well built. Only have 1100 miles but they have bee a fun 1100. Can feel the engine getting stronger as it loosens up. Very quick for a 4 cyl.

worst...transmission....EVER

B17A1girl, 06/28/2005

As a the Internet Sales Manager and a salesperson at a car dealership, I drive different cars every day. My Acura RSX type-S, which is supposed to be one of the most reliable cars available, has the worst manual transmission I have ever experienced on a new car. Ever since I bought it, 2nd and 3rd gear have been grinding. It's been back to 3 different Acura dealers 4 times for the same problem. Only one of them was willing to fix it and found that the synchros are bad from the factory. They supposedly replaced them but the problem continues. NEVER buying a Honda product again.

A classic

KRA, 07/16/2017
Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car

The Acura Company

Chainsaw, 11/27/2003

This car is easy to fix up, i got mine up to 600hp and 9200rpm maxed out

RSX - S

Silver03, 11/21/2003

This is an extremely fun car. You really feel like you get more than you pay for. Great performance, reliability, style, and comfort. I do wish it had some type of traction control and a little more torque.

Best Integra Yet

Jesse Wingert, 12/06/2003

I am very satisfied with the nest generation Integra. The Type S RSX is a real quick and snappy car the combines top notch performance with leather interior, 7 Bose surround sound speakers, CD player and a 6 speed manual tansmission.You have to love a car that delivers so mucth.

Great car!

Nev, 12/13/2003

I am very happy with my RSX. It represents a great combination of performance, comfort and reliability. It is very happy pottering around town but also gives an exciting drive if you open it up and push the revs up near the 8000 limit. The only slight citicism I have is that it does feel a bit "front-end heavy" and has the typical front-wheel drive understeer that was less apparent in the Honda Prelude I had before. Having said that the manual six-speed transmission is excellent and the steering is pin-sharp with good road feel. Overall definitely a winner and I have no regrets.

Good car, bad people

IDriveALemon, 12/20/2003

I have never been to such horrible dealerships in my life. The people are just horrible, they don't care about the customer, they are willing to say just about anything just to be able to deny (warranty on) your claim on problems and issues with the car. The warranty as far as I'm concerned is completely irrevelent, since they don't car to abide by it. If you want a car without a warranty, this is the car. But you might as well buy it used for that matter.

RSX Review

BobG, 12/27/2003

Excellent overall design and comfort. Dealer was the best I've ever dealt with. Fun and exciting to drive. Engine preforms like cars costing 2 times the purchase price. Six gear transmission is tight and smooth with little excessive play. A little more of a consol would be nice but the interior is very attractive.

i love it

marcos4, 12/27/2003

its the best car ive have yet. and i do have a is 300 from lexus, and this car it's so much funner then my lex. this has the hors power that i need just stook its so fun the best car..

RSX type S

PMPIN8easy21, 12/30/2003

When i went looking for a car i wanted a dependable, fast performance car and thats what i have gotten with the RSX-S

RSX Type S

Steve Hill, 01/02/2004

excellent car for the $, and a performance car with useability and versatility

rsx

xeen, 01/03/2004

its good at about 65 in the snow nad ice, nice top speed, good acceloration..the red lights for dash are annoying, would suggest a button that changes the dash lighting from blue to green and such otherwise nice ride.

AC........ On IT!!!!!!!!

JON_JON, 01/04/2004

Driving the car is an experience.

RSX type s

Jeremy T., 01/04/2004

well so far, as this car being my first manual car to drive(and the first car i've ever owned), It has been good to me so far(1500 mi). If you have experience in shifting, the transmission is smooth(except 2nd gear, see below). it also has impressive handling as well. The reliability is, obviously, well-known to be the best out there. the engine was built strong and tough.

My RSeXy

Rich 1, 01/03/2004

When I first saw the concept version I fell in love with the RSX. I was able to get 1 in december of 2002 and my driving experiences have been amazing. Every day its performance surprises me. I can't believe that this littl car and little engine can have that much power. In my area the RSX is very rare and everyone always asks me what it is. Its always a pleasure to tell them that a I drive an Acura RSX Type S.

RSX-S vs EVO vs WRX

JDMDC5-S, 01/11/2004

Great and awesome car all around. Perfect between performance and drivability. Has potential to be a pretty fast car. But not as much potential compared to WRX or Evo. This is not the car if you want to be extremely fast. This car is a balance between performance and luxury. Interior is very nice. Looks are awesome compared to WRX. This car will be hard to compete with cars like Evo and WRX STi since this car is afterall FWD. Overall I love this car and is a great all around vehicle. Bose system is kind of lacking. But other than that I have no real complaints. Perfect balance between performance and drivability.

Best Car Made

Alex Silver, 01/13/2004

Great car for everything. Really fast! Great design inside and on the outside. I think its the best car made.

RSX-S is the best value on the road.

Gorodnitzki, 01/23/2004

This is my fourth Acura (although last car was Maxima SE) and it's easily the best. I feel funny about giving straight 10s, but this car deserves every one. I look forward to driving it every day, whether to work or across country. Fast, fun, comfortable and it is amazing how much stuff you can fit in the hatch. And I get unsolicited compliments on it regularly, too. Synthetic oil helps performance and quiets engine noise. Unbelievable value for $24K. Bravo, Acura!

The best!

Drewpp, 01/23/2004

This is the best car I've ever had! It's so fun to drive!

Best car for 2002+

AcuraRSX232, 01/27/2004

The RSX Type S is fun, sporty, quick and smooth. The luxury feeling you receive just from sitting in this car will sell you instantly. The 6 speed is nice and short.

this is the best damn car in the world!!

shea.., 01/22/2004

i love this car!!!!!

Great buy

ToddAT, 01/31/2004

Fun to drive. Good substitute for my Corvette as a commuting car. Great performance.

unbelievable daily commuter!!

huichan, 02/01/2004

I just purchased Rsx type-s. I am very happy that I got this car. I was almost going to buy the new mazda 3. But the horrible manners of people in Mazda dealer, I switched my mind and went to Acura to get this gorgeous looking vehicle. It looks sporty enough, has pretty quick response engine. Very fun to drive ,also, the audio system is decent. I won't regret that I got this car instead of the unstable Mazda cars

Fun to drive

Aunsue, 02/07/2004

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car and everything about it. I have not had any mechanical problems, just standard maintence like oil changes and rotating and balancing the tires. I have found that it is easy to drive, and so has everyone else who has driven it. It is a great car.

Sporty RSX type-s

Jay 7, 02/17/2004

This Rsx is the nicest acura sports car i have divin and since i got my license i have always had at least one acura. Acura really out did itself with this one.

best ever

Ayala, 02/19/2004

it's great, the best driven, awsome car

EXCELLENT..

CARMTAN, 02/28/2004

excellent car..i was looking into alarms..anybody has suggestion of which is the best active alarm..since acura dealer told me they take it somewhere else to install it..

Hot little number

MemphisCanada, 03/01/2004

Coming from driving an SUV, this unit moves and weaves through traffic like a slot car. I love this thing. Great colour (Pearl White), awsome sound! (you may disagree), 200hp and still fuel efficient. I'm relatively new to the manual transmission, but from what i've experienced from test drives; this 6 speed transmission is slick, definitive (*cough* WRX *cough*), crisp, and most importantly...good fun.

Best car in this price range you can get

SiR-DC5, 03/02/2004

I had a 3rd gen Integra before this RSX Type S. The first thing I noticed on this RSX-S is that Acura addressed every complaints I have on the Integra and made some more improvements on top it. It has enough power to get around or to pass on highway. And it comes with great standard features. I couldn't find a car that has better value, performance, reliability, and features at this price range.

awsome

jthib, 03/05/2004

love the car. cannot find anything to complain about

2004 RSX

jjthomas182, 04/19/2006

I've had my 2004 RSX for 2 years now and I love it! I have had several other sports cars in the past, the last being a mustang. This car is fast, but still managers to be practical, compfortable, reliable, and fuel efficient. It also has the more prestige name of acura with many luxury features, but was suprisingly affordable. definately best in class

RSX Type-S

Jbart, 03/04/2004

I just purchased my type-s a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. I must say, anyone in the market for an affordable sports car should look no further. The engine is so addicting that you find yourself constantly pushing it to the red just to feel the boost of the v-tec put you back in your seat. As if thats not enough, leather racing seats that hug you, close throw 6spd. and a bose system....it is awesome!

Type-S

Unicode2021, 03/13/2004

I have the vehicle for over a year now and its the best sports coupe that I have ever hade...VERY FUN to drive and very modifyable.

perfect

mitchellicious, 03/17/2004

best car ever i like my acura so much i wouldnt trade it for another car in the same price range

outstanding

jayboo8, 03/26/2004

i love this car

love my car!

cusoon, 03/30/2004

had a honda accord lx for 11 years. It now has over 300,000on (my niece drives it). Bought a mazda millenium,hated it! traded it in for rsx type s. love my car. it handles great, good gas and most of all it's a lot of fun to drive.

Awesome Ride

JCB, 03/29/2004

I purchased RSX type-S in Jan 04. I am very happy that I got this car. I was almost going to buy the new mazda RX-8. But the price of the RX-8 and the lackluster fuel economy lured me to the RSX instead, and I am not disappointed at all.This gorgeous looking vehicle gets alot of stares from other drivers. It looks sporty enough, has responsive handling, powerful engine that begs to be driven fast. Very fun to drive ,also, the audio system is great.

51050