Used 2004 Acura RL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura RL Sedan Consumer Reviews

3.5 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (79 reviews )

Older car now, but in pristine condition
By Kyle Larson

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when my Honda Accord had 150K on it, thinking it was getting older. I ended up putting 320K on it and the Acura was the Sunday driver. My Accord is gone now and I'm using the RL as my primary driver. It now has 130K on it and it's been doing great. It still looks classy. Gas mileage isn't great, but it's a heavy car. Ride and road nose is good. Interior materials are really nice. The headlights are fantastic on this, one of the best qualities! You can see very well at night. I have had issues with one of the igniters on the headlights, however, and that can be spendy. Transmission has been good (cross my fingers). The 6 CD system is on the fritz, I can only really put in one disc at a time. Haven't bothered to fix it since I don't use that a lot. Only other issue is the head room. I'm 6'3" and I could use more head room. If the sunroof shade is open, it's fine, but in the summer I like to keep that closed. I'm hoping to get another 200K out of this car like my Accord. My nephew will start driving it in about a year, and I like the idea that it's a good safe car for him - not a hot rod! :) Overall, it's a classy ride and I still love the look and feel of it. Seems like quality.

Acura 3.5RL: Made to Go the Distance
By Don

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Although made to compete against upscale V8 RWD Lexus, Infinity and Benz sedans, the '96 - '04 RL is a FWD V6 model. Because of this, it does very well in ice and snow, specially with winter tires. Gas mileage averages to about 23mpg for me. As with older Legends and Honda Accords, reliability is excellent. These non V-TEC engines will go well over 250K miles with basic maintenance and last about half-million miles before needing a rebuild. - Week spots (all cars have them) include window motors, water pumps that need replacing every 100k miles or so, and oil leaking into the coolant. Top speed is 140+ drag limited. Look for gently used 2004 models as they included satellite radio, in-dash CD changer and the updated voice activated navigation. Styling is basic, clean and blends in without attracting attention from thieves and gawkers.

Pick up a used one now! 02-04 model
By Kapikap

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is just so dependable, quiet, good looking, well equipped. Every 100,000 miles, will need a timing belt, water pump replacement, Regular fluid changes and that is it! The RL comes equipped with heated seats, sunroof, 6 disc cd, among other things. Power is good enough to keep you out of trouble. I highly recommend this car to anyone needing the best, most reliable used 4 door sedan.

Good basic reliable luxury car
By Harriet Voloso

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

recently bought a 2004 acura rl sedan. paid 9990.00 before tax and lic. Blue book on this car is about 7500.00. So i paid more than i should have at the dealership. But 2004 acura rl are scarce in southern california at this time. So i sense that many people that have accords and older RLs are grabbing these 2004 one owner acura rl up. this RL is a one owner 18 service record car. Had all major service done on it. Including timing and water pump. if you are familar with hondas and acuras you will be right at home with this car. California car with no accidents on the carfax. very nice driving car very smooth. Not a lot of power but can hold its own. grab one if you can find one.

everything is heavy duty and long lasting. materials are first rate. speakers and stereo system is strong paint is holding up well. simple design compared to a 2005 and up rl model. everything works on this car very rare for a 10 year old car. also bought a 2001 lexus gs430 at about the same time and even though its smoother than the RL. Some of the lexus gs430 parts have not held up as well. Needs struts/speakers and steering wheel work. both cars have about the same mileage on them. About 93000 miles. But in all fairness i paid 8300.00 for the gs430 an 9990.00 for the acura rl.

little more power. 225hp isn't going to cut it with a 4000+ weight car. nav system is crude compared to my 2001 lexus gs430 system. better gas mileage. Gets the same gas mileage as my lexus gs430 v-8.

Fun car to drive packed with luxury (04 RL)
By mike900

2004 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car more than two years ago with 78000 miles on it. I've put more than 13000 miles on my 04 RL and there's absolutely zero issue! So you can see the reliability of this car. I only changed the air filter myself, one of the headlight hit its lifetime I did it myself too. It is easy to DIY with these common consumables.

This generation of RL is the last of the honda legend. It kinds of combines the luxury and sporty driving experience. The horsepower of the engine is not really impressive giving the weight of the car is like an mid size SUV. But the acceleration is pretty good. I live in midwest and the front wheel drive has good traction in the winter too. mpg is crappy..

Reliability and safe Quiet and stable highway driving Sporty suspension roomy backseat huge trunk Bose Audio