2011 Volvo XC70 T6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great Ride
By dronepro

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

You know when you really like a car and you wish you had it. But, you wish it's as good as you expect it... This is, it blew me away. Probably the finest, most fun ride.

Favorite Features

Tons of power, Polestar upgrade would make this the ultimate lite off road toy.

Suggested Improvements

2013 has taken care of 2011 issues.

Sleeper T6
By neilxc70

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

A fine car. Comfy, functional, powerful, attractive, high quality, safe, and nearly a bargain compared with other "wagons". It replaced my wife's 1996 850 wagon- which I never liked-- and we bought it with European delivery for about $40k (with climate, convenience, incl taxes and license). We put about 3k mi on it in Europe and averaged, according to the display, 24.4 mi/gal. (But $140 fill ups are very painful). The mpg was a pleasant surprise considering the EPA rating (22 mpg hwy) and some of the reviews. Effortless cruising at 200 kph on the Autobahn. Overall, almost as impressive as my BMW 335i E92 but they're much different beasts.

Favorite Features

Comfort, safety, functionality, engine, driveability, quality, Volvo European delivery program, free maintenance program.

Suggested Improvements

Continue the XC70 T6 as is but use direct injection to improve fuel economy.

I LOVE my T6!
By lindsayg

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Volvo has read my mind- all my "issues" with my 2008 standard XC70 have been completely corrected in the 2011 T6 model. It is absolutely worth the extra $ for the turbo version. I traded in my 2008 and a 2008 BMW M3 on this Volvo and I don't miss the BMW at all because the new Volvo is so much fun to drive. The best of both worlds. Way to go, Volvo!

Favorite Features

The turbo is quiet, smooth, and gives the big car the perfect amount of get up and go. Volvo has improved their Tiptronic and it is now quick and responsive. The coolest thing is that when you flip over into Tiptronic, the engine actually puts out a little bit more power, which is perfect. The BLIS system's quirks have been resolved and I haven't had it malfunction in low light or rain as it did in my 2008. The brakes are finally big enough for the vehicle and they switched back to traditional suspension, which is still very comfortable but can be customized if one would like a stiffer ride. Overall, I absolutely love it.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major at all. However, more power ports up front would be nice. I have the technology package with the feature that warns of impending collision and with lane departure warnings. Sometimes the glare of the collission warning light module is at a less than ideal place on the windshield, but I am not sure how else they would place the warning lights where they need to be. I'm getting better mileage in the Turbo than I ever did in my standard 2008 model (a small improvement), but I'm surprised they couldn't squeeze out a few more MPG with current technology. 20 MPG in mixed highway/back road driving seems a little unimpressive, but then it is a big car with AWD... so ??

Very fun to dirve
By hikerguy69

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I had a 2005 Subaru Forrester XT with 94K miles, and decided it was time for a new vehicle . I wanted a car that was fun to drive, yet able to carry me, my friends and camping gear up Idaho forrest roads. I looked at 2010 Forrester and Outback, but settled on the XC 70 T6. It is very fun to drive. I love the comfortable seat and the relatively quiet AWD. The handling was excellent and the turbo had loads of pickup. I've only had it a week, but I am very happy.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable. The interior is beautiful. The sound system is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

The GPS is not very intuitive. More work needs to be done with the software. It is no where near as easy to use as my Garmin Nuvi.

A beautiful wagon
By jjf5

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

We had wanted to buy one of these for over a year, and I had done extensive research. I initially wanted a V70, but wife wanted the AWD. I thought the base XC70 3.2 was too slow and inefficient, and wanted to see what happened after Ford sold Volvo to the Chinese. I'm glad I waited. Not only were prices slashed, but quality and features improved. I picked up an XC70 T6 cheaper than last year's base model. Volvo hired a good CEO, and the workers in Gothenburg are happier than they were under Ford. This combined with it being the 3rd production year should mean improved reliability, but we'll see. I'll post a long term update after 10000 miles.

Favorite Features

T6 engine is very powerful and makes this heavy car feel spritely. The tan leather interior and white paint combo is attractive. Almost too nice for our kids. The only option my car has in the climate package and I think it is a good value. It includes rain sensitive wipers and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Improved mileage. I hope Volvo brings over some of its European diesels. Options are very expensive. I have some concerns about the leather durability. It seems a little soft and a lot of the used ones had premature wear. I'm planning to get it scotch guarded.

Consider the T6 if you're looking for an XC70
By abmwfan

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded a 2009 XC70 3.2 AWD for a 2011 XC70 T6. The turbo engine significantly improves this vehicle: quieter, smoother, more than adequate acceleration and no noticeable reduction in mpg. The 3.2 is slow, buzzy/noisy and it gets lousy mpg (worst of all worlds). You're always aware of the engine working at the limits of its capacity to move this heavy vehicle. And, while the T6's base price is $6k higher, it comes standard with AWD and premium/leather package which are nearly always added to the 3.2, so the "base" sticker price of the T6 and 3.2 are essentially the same before other options. Why not get the bigger engine?

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity, rock solid build quality, seat comfort. We've had 3 Volvos in the family with no defects or service visits other than for free scheduled maintenance. While people may think of Volvo as floaty family barges, this vehicle handles well, doesn't lean in corners, and the suspension is nicely firm. It's not as nimble as the XC60, but it handles well enough for its size as long as you don't push it too hard. The direct injection turbo engine (300 hp, 325 lb ft torque) is worth the extra investment. I drive BMWs exclusively (the Volvo is the family vehicle) and even I'm impressed by the engine.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon headlights should be standard on a luxury vehicle, not an $800 add-on. There's a little too much exterior plastic cladding. MPG is still in the range of last decade's SUVs and should be improved.

More than expected
By warren smith

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

At 1,000 miles I am impressed with all aspects of my new XC70 T6. I am getting 21+ miles in suburban driving, the seats are very supportive and comfortable. I haul two boats and have had no problems with the ability to pull them. We use the more than ample space behind the front row seats to haul all our stuff home back from our summer place. The Bliss system works as promised but does do false readings in the rain. We have the ccomvenirnce group and climate group of add ons plus the personal communications feature and all work as promised. I find the control panel easy to use and the Bluetooth set up is easy to use.

Favorite Features

The auto open and close back hatch and the overall smooth and quiet ride of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

None yet

The Real Swagger Wagon
By jrod1790

2011 Volvo XC70 Wagon T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I can't say enough good things about this car. Its fun to drive and has the most comfortable seats I've ever been in. I wasn't in love with the idea of getting a wagon/crossover but with an expanding family it was necessary. However, once I drove the car with the T6 engine all my apprehension went away. It really makes the car fun to drive as there is power on demand at all rev ranges! I test drove the 3.2 twice and the difference in performance was significant. Also like all Volvos, the XC70 is loaded with safety, convenience, and technology. I've driven about 1000 miles so far, close to 50/50 local and highway, and I'm averaging a touch over 22 MPG on 91 Octane.

Favorite Features

The interior is simply gorgeous and just as nice as anything BMW or Mercedes puts out. The seats are incredibly comfortable and supportive. All the functions are very intuitive and easy to use. Again with the T6 engine this car is a BEAST! Much better fuel economy than I was anticipating.