Used 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

never again
By ADF

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have had a love/hate relationship with my S80. Beautiful styling, best seats in the business, great 8 speaker stereo. LOUSY reliability, Paid $15,000.00 at 5yrs old and 37,000 miles. Noisy front end, repairing strut mounts twice, engine mount, ball joints, rear shocks, broken fuel line in the tank, ABS speed sensor failure, repairs too numerous to remember. Cost of ownership is way too high with every repair costing $1000.00 or more each time. Volvo has proprietary software diagnostics which requires you take it to a Volvo dealer every or most every time. It's simply too unreliable and costly to own. Too bad, it is a top of the line car. SHAME on Volvo for the poor engineering.

Style, best seats of any car, stereo, safety.

Electronics, poor cup holder design, front end hardware not stout enough, things wear out too quickly. ALL dealer repairs are very costly.

Very happy after 9 years
By nyindallas

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

This car is a good example why one should not get too wrapped up in reviews. After 9 years I can say this car still is a dream to drive. I love taking it on country roads where the handling is amazing. I have also driven a Mercedes E320 on the same road and while the E320 has more power, it does not handle turns as well and does not come close in comfort.

One of the most comfortable sedans I have ever driven. Handles like a dream.

Repair costs can be high. Also it is insane that a single new key costs $225.00

Paint it yellow and call it a lemon
By jzeltvay

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I was so excited when I first purchased my new Volvo. Even though it was a bit pricey, I was looking forward to getting 300,000 miles out of it. My first clue should have been when a position light message came on when I was driving it home from the dealer my first day. I have had multiple problems since that day. Under warranty the rings had to be replaced with <20,000 miles on it. I have spent thousands of $$ to try to figure out why my check engine light stays on. Over $4000 to have it fixed and 50 miles later the light came on again. Now my emissions light keeps coming on. 3 oxygen sensors later, it still comes on. Plan to put it in gear, run it off the mountain and collect the ins.

Ride is very comfortable.

Volvo to stand by its product. Decrease cost of the cheap parts. REcall the whole series. Admit it is a lemon. I will never buy another Volvo.

Fake Transmission Issue
By wusup2u

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought a white 1999 S80 2.9 Executive (surround sound stereo with 4-disk CD changer and performance suspension and handling) with exactly 90,000 miles on it in September, 2008 for $5,500. I test drove it and it ran great! Two weeks after I bought it, the "attention" triangle lit up red and the status screen said "Transmission service urgent." I had the transmission rebuilt which was luckily covered under the warranty I purchased for from the dealer. After the rebuild, the warning came up again. I took it to my local Volvo dealership and they found out that the Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad and it has been a great car ever since! Easy $175 fix because of labor.

awesome surround sound 4-disk CD changer stability and traction control and the Weather button (locks second wheel in for better traction) awesome safety features comfort power LOVE THE ALARM SOUND (sounds like European police siren)

Improve the lifespan of the power windows. Fix back door lock problems.

Loved it!
By nwkent25

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought mine wrecked with 70k miles-- my dad owns a shop and he fixed it and then we moved across the country. It does excellent in bad snow, even with the winter driving off. I had no issues with this car whatsoever. My only issue was that parts cost so much and you really have to take it to the dealer for just an oil change because no one carries the filter. It's pretty fast for a full size sedan and mine got 25-28 mpg. The stereo sound is pretty awesome for just being factory. If brand new ones weren't so expensive I would buy another.

The interior--everything is nice, the seats are comfortable (and heated!), and it makes road trips a lot more comfortable because there's so much room. And it has a very large trunk. The leather wears much slower than in other cars of the same age, which is great!

Price of replacement parts. The wipers on the headlights are ugly and drive me crazy