1999 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Run away!
By Sherrill on 08/29/08 13:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I wish the reviews had been available before we bought the car because we sure wouldn't have. It has been a nightmare. We have probably paid half as much on repairs as we paid for the car. We just keep pumping money into it because it is paid for and we don't want another car payment so we feel trapped. The body parts are even falling off (headliner, etc)

Last Volvo I'll Buy
By Tony on 05/22/07 11:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

At first we loved the car. Over time it became apparent that the quality of the vehicle was lacking ranging from cosmetic to mechanical. The body dents easily from anything, small minor accessories stop working or just break, and we always seem to spend thousands a year on maintenance. We also own a 96 850 Turbo and do not experience any of the consistent problems with it. The information center stopped scrolling one item at a time. The dealership said it was not their problem to fix since no recall...1yr after purchase. I won't buy from the dealer even if we decided on another Volvo.

Consumer Beware!!
By Joy on 04/03/07 07:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from private seller at 20,000 miles. Previously had a 240 sedan and wagon. Thought this was the most beautiful and comfortable car I had ever experienced. The love affair was short lived. Constant problems with electronics, sensors, throttle, ball joints, computer modules... at 80,000 miles was told ball joints needed replacing (I found out at that time that they had been recalled and replaced prior to my purchasing from seller). Unreliable and expensive car to repair!! Company does not seem to care that their customers were sold an expensive piece of junk. Trying to get rid of now... not running, needs $3500 more, will just sell for junk which it is! Never another Volvo!!

Love the car - hate to fix!
By Jay on 01/22/07 15:11 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is bittersweet. It has all the comforts of home with all the bells and whistles and the safety that Volvo is known for. The car looks good, has a smooth ride, it turns heads, and even has a kickin' audio system, but my wallet take a punch to the face when I sit in the waiting room of the service department. Among the thousands I spent in repairs, last week I spent $150 for a simple battery (without the labor cost). When I disconnected the old battery to purchase a new one, my airbag sensor got disabled, and that cost me $85 just to have the technician connect a computer in the dash and press a button to reset it. I had to get rid of it but I do miss it.

About the same as others, apparently
By Tom on 02/02/06 09:25 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

After reading most of the other reviews, I guess I'm not any different. Very expensive to fix, and that happens way too often. The Emissions service light is a way too common problem, I've given up trying to find out what it is. Had to replace the ABS module, Volvo warranty wouldn't cover their product, even under warranty. Power steering leaks, or doesn't, whenever it feels like it. The front end makes funny cracking and creaking noises and I can't find any reason for it either. I thought I was buying a quality, safe car (at least the price I paid for it). I've had my first and LAST Volvo.

Nothing but expensive problems
By Mariaelena on 12/10/05 14:53 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I loved the looks and comfort of this car and felt confident in spending the extra money because it was a Volvo. Much to my expense, I wasn't informed that this model is Volvo's nightmare ( ask any Volvo service person). It had multiple problems with the window mechanisms, a faulty steering rack, an extremely costly throttle problem, an ABS computer sensor defect and the list goes on. Now I've finally had it and am steering clear of all Volvos made by Ford!

This is a Volvo!!
By grod on 12/09/05 22:20 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I had always heard of the safety and reliability of a Volvo. After every problem from mechanical to electrical (replaced front end twice). Was told trade in value was $4000. This is from the same dealership that took thousands from me in repair costs. Wrecked the car two weeks ago and received $9,000 from insurance. This car is worth more totaled than running.

Never Again
By Jim on 09/30/05 15:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased what I thought would be a "safe" car and a few nights ago the car basically told me to flee for my life; the message light read "Brake Failure - pull to stop and seek service". Since I've owned it it has leaked fuel in puddles, lost its turn signals, airbag failure, headlight failure . . . everything that goes wrong with this car seems to threaten my safety. This is our 4th Volvo and we've witnessed the steady decline of what was once a safe, reliable car. Never again!

Lemon Alert
By jennifer on 02/16/05 01:14 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right after my Son was born because I wanted a safe, spacious and comfortable car. 2 days later it wouldn't start and its been in and out of the shop over 10 times since. I have poured thousands and thousands of dollars into it and it continues to have more and more things wrong with it. I just last week had a new transmission put in and it has about 6 new things that need to be repaired. There is constantly an emission light/ check engine/service required light on and no one can ever seem to fix it for more than a few days. It has been one heartache after another. I would not recommend this car for anyone who wants to remain sane.

This Car is Possessed!
By wmscox on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago with the check engine light on and spent the past two years replacing everything trying to get it to go off and stay off. The car stays in the shop more than it stays on the road...it is a joke at my job, that my car is in the shop AGAIN!!! I can not afford to sell it, because I owe almost twice as much on it as the blue book value. It was wrecked and it cost $8,000 to fix it...my insurance company didn't want it either...Volvo should be sued for such shotty workmanship. This was my second Volvo, the first was a charm. I am very DISAPPOINTED and I tell everyone who admires how the car looks, not to buy a 1999 model.