2006 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
lemon, literally
By monicald on 12/30/10 11:29 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After 1 year I had taken my car in to repair the electrical 5 times, they couldn't do it. At one point the driver door wouldn't open and I had to enter my car through the passenger side. Volvo ended up settling for a good sized pay out. Here is a list of other problems I had with car, none of which were covered by warranty as they occurred just after the 50k warranty was up: 1) engine thermostat never worked 2) due to above, car overheated, replaced radiator reservoir & new thermostat 3) spark plugs replaced 4) door lock covers popped off 5) plastic peeling off control buttons 6) major water leak when rains, floor thoroughly soaked 7) radio shorted out 8) Trunk stuck in closed position

THE MOST AWSOME CAR
By Jeff on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car brand new, and have found it to be the car that spoils me. I love this car soo much that I made it my garage queen, she is polished and stored. We take her out on vacations and long trips. She is our total luxary/sport car. THANK YOU VOLVO!!

Loved my 6 spd. T5 but not again for me
By Eric on 12/22/09 09:00 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Let me start by saying I am a longtime Volvo owner (2 S60's, 940T & T5) who always wanted this car. My T5 was the perfect car when it wasn't at the dealer for every little interior/electrical thing. The motor was GREAT and VERY fuel efficient (30+ mpg) Tons of torque, very comfortable, safe, handled good, very classy and different. Really loved this car but it was a royal headache of tiny issues (10 dealer repairs in 1 year...all different interior/electrical quirks). Being a Volvo owner I was used to little problems but it was a huge inconvenience spending all my time at the dealer (probably once a month). I still love that car but I sold it when the warranty ran out. Really a shame.

Made From Volvonium
By bbradley on 11/24/08 08:26 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the S40 T5 "slightly used" at the beginning of the year; it never let me down once. The car looks cool without being flashy and the interior is smartly designed. It just plain runs and is sturdy as an ox. It even has above-average pickup for such a tiny 4-door packed with so many options. Unfortunately, 10 months later due to some questionable road conditions I got intimate with a concrete wall. The Volvo wasn't exactly indestructible-- the entire driver's side was smashed in. I was a bit smashed in myself, but thankfully nothing permanent. I'm convinced that the Volvo saved my life. I'm driving a clunker today, but you can bet that I'll be a Volvo customer for life.

Love it
By FL driver on 09/29/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

A great ride overall, but lack of solution for ipod connectivity is very frustrating. Still recommend as a great value and a fun/sporty ride.

Driving in the snow
By dana on 12/06/07 13:09 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first Volvo. I have previously owned SUVs and also similar sized cars, like the Accord and a Camry. This car handles great on drive pavement. I love the zippiness and great gas mileage. Overall, it is a wonderful car. However, it does not handle well in snow or rain. In fact it is just a step better than a RWD car. This is my second winter with this car and I am so dissappointed.

Great car, even with a few flaws!
By Matt on 10/12/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love this car! I fell in love with it as soon as I took it out for the test drive. Sharp looking and gets lots of attention. I really only have 2 issues with the car. First, city mileage isn't what I expected it to be. I do almost all of my driving in-city and find myself at the gas pump more than I expected. Second, the rear brakes have started to squeal when backing up, and the problem seems to be a mystery. I've had the car in twice (with a 3rd looming). I've done some checking online and found my problem, while not widespread, is not unique to my car either (no solution ID'd). It's a frustrating issue that I shouldn't be dealing with on a car 4200 miles in.

Weird Sounds, Other Troubles-a Mistake!
By Paul Margolis on 09/16/06 19:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my third Volvo (740 960 and now S40) I am very disappointed with the quality and support from volvo. Pressure sensor was bad inside gas tank and fixed by dealer. The car makes very annoying Owl-like sounds, which the dealer has not fixed. Supposedly volvo is working on a computer software fix. The clock occasionally resets itself--another annoying feature. Save your money for a higher quality car. Do not expect any help from Volvo when you complain....apparantly Volvo has lost all class after having been bought by Ford.

my new s40
By lisa on 09/12/06 13:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I thought I wanted a BMW then i looked at the volvo s40 and fell in love with it, it's fun to drive, it has the speed and pick up when i want it and handles nicely, my daughter wants it, shes 13!!! I love owning a Volvo and feel safe.

My new S40
By Lindsay C on 07/23/06 20:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my new S40! It is a great little car! I have driven Honda Accords all my life and made the switch! I am not at all disappointed! It drives GREAT and is so fun to drive. I feel so safe in it, the safety features are unreal! The only minor complaint is that it needs more compartment space on the inside. I keep a lot of stuff in my car and there is not as many places to put it all. But other than that I have no complaints!!! Love it!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.