Used 2006 Volvo S40 T5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

VOLVO SAVED MY LIFE
By jlong4

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was driving an 06 black Volvo s40 2.4i. It had 138k miles and drove like brand new. I loved every second of it. However, one day there was a dog on the freeway in the fast lane. I swerved and couldn't gain control back. I went across five lanes of traffic where I then flipped, all while doing 70. The curtain airbag deployed and I was able to walk away with a small bruise. Needless to say, I went and bought another 06 blue Volvo s40 T5. And I could not be happier. Once a Volvo, always a Volvo. I have not had any issues with the new one. Usual maintenance and what not, gas mileage is at about 24-27 MPG, but not bad for a turbo.

lemon, literally
By monicald

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After 1 year I had taken my car in to repair the electrical 5 times, they couldn't do it. At one point the driver door wouldn't open and I had to enter my car through the passenger side. Volvo ended up settling for a good sized pay out. Here is a list of other problems I had with car, none of which were covered by warranty as they occurred just after the 50k warranty was up: 1) engine thermostat never worked 2) due to above, car overheated, replaced radiator reservoir & new thermostat 3) spark plugs replaced 4) door lock covers popped off 5) plastic peeling off control buttons 6) major water leak when rains, floor thoroughly soaked 7) radio shorted out 8) Trunk stuck in closed position

Comfortable car, good power, fast.

Fix the electrical problems in this car. Don't sell lemons! Recall the car and fix the drainage problem in the sunroof, this is an obvious design flaw, don't make us pay for it. My co-worker has the same car and has the same flooding problem in her car due to the sunroof drainage issues.

THE MOST AWSOME CAR
By Jeff

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car brand new, and have found it to be the car that spoils me. I love this car soo much that I made it my garage queen, she is polished and stored. We take her out on vacations and long trips. She is our total luxary/sport car. THANK YOU VOLVO!!

EVERYTHING!

Loved my 6 spd. T5 but not again for me
By Eric

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Let me start by saying I am a longtime Volvo owner (2 S60's, 940T & T5) who always wanted this car. My T5 was the perfect car when it wasn't at the dealer for every little interior/electrical thing. The motor was GREAT and VERY fuel efficient (30+ mpg) Tons of torque, very comfortable, safe, handled good, very classy and different. Really loved this car but it was a royal headache of tiny issues (10 dealer repairs in 1 year...all different interior/electrical quirks). Being a Volvo owner I was used to little problems but it was a huge inconvenience spending all my time at the dealer (probably once a month). I still love that car but I sold it when the warranty ran out. Really a shame.

TORQUE of the wonderful 2.5 low pressure turbo motor. Driving position, SEATS are perfect in every Volvo, gas mileage, safety, drivetrain seemed bullet proof. Liked the interior design. Absolutely wonderful motor. LOVED this car...until.

Quality and component reliability. Needs Aux/iPod jack, Bluetooth and better displays. The oil filter was in a difficult location and you need a 36mm flex socket. Cartridge filters were a little high but that's normal. PLEASE improve quality Volvo! I am afraid my 4th Volvo was my last (sad day)

Made From Volvonium
By bbradley

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the S40 T5 "slightly used" at the beginning of the year; it never let me down once. The car looks cool without being flashy and the interior is smartly designed. It just plain runs and is sturdy as an ox. It even has above-average pickup for such a tiny 4-door packed with so many options. Unfortunately, 10 months later due to some questionable road conditions I got intimate with a concrete wall. The Volvo wasn't exactly indestructible-- the entire driver's side was smashed in. I was a bit smashed in myself, but thankfully nothing permanent. I'm convinced that the Volvo saved my life. I'm driving a clunker today, but you can bet that I'll be a Volvo customer for life.

Leather upholstery, center console, quiet cabin, sleek design, side airbags.

Better fuel economy, smoother auto shifting, quieter defroster. I'm really nitpicking here. I might opt for AWD next time.

• SUV